Recent Down Loads And Additions From E - Music

Soulstation1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Super Soul

Noj, I bet you didn't know that Groove Holmes' recording with Gerald Wilson was the first jazz organ with big band recording. I had thought that the first was a Jimmy Smith with Oliver Nelson effort, but I was wrong.

Milt Buckner played organ with Lionel Hampton's orchestra a decade before Wilson's recording with Holmes .

Noj, I bet you didn't know that Groove Holmes' recording with Gerald Wilson was the first jazz organ with big band recording. I had thought that the first was a Jimmy Smith with Oliver Nelson effort, but I was wrong.

Milt Buckner played organ with Lionel Hampton's orchestra a decade before Wilson's recording with Holmes .

And Count Basie played organ with the Count Basie band in the thirties.

MG

I knew Basie recorded on organ with the orchestra in the Fifties but I cited Buckner because I thought he did so slightly before Basie . The Basie organ recordings from the Thirties were with smaller groups not the orchestra weren't they ?

I knew Basie recorded on organ with the orchestra in the Fifties but I cited Buckner because I thought he did so slightly before Basie . The Basie organ recordings from the Thirties were with smaller groups not the orchestra weren't they ?

Dunno - I noticed Basie playing organ on a track featuring Jimmy Rushing. I'll check whether the whole band's there when the present CD stops.

MG

Dunno - I noticed Basie playing organ on a track featuring Jimmy Rushing. I'll check whether the whole band's there when the present CD stops.

MG

OK - I just checked.

On the cheapo comp I've got, Basie plays organ on "Nobody knows", with the whole band (or a lot of saxes and trumpets and at least one trombone) behind Jimmy Rushing. No idea how many other tracks there are like this; it's the only one on this CD.

MG

James Moody Hi Fi Party

Eddie Jefferson Letter from Home

Baden Powell Os Afro Sambas (the new version)

Arthur Blythe Focus

Arnett Cobb Wild Man from Texas (Black and Blue)

Arnett Cobb Deep Purple (Black and Blue)

I'm going to try to go through the whole Black and Blue catalog over the next year in case it gets yanked like some of the other labels.

i've got 57 downloads to use tonight

any recs??

get reloaded tomorrow AM

Just two, but a couple of my favorite "discoveries" after years and countless downloads from emu.

Malcolm Braff Trio "Yele"

Marion Brown "Back to Paris"

or you can always explore some of Kahil El'Zabar's wonderful releases

downloaded tonight

started with 57 dls

roscoe mitchell 4

quartet

marion brown 5

back to paris

james moody 9

hi fi party

arnett cobb

deep purple 7

wild man from texas 10

ray bryant 10

hot turkey

crawford and mcgriff 10

road tested

sonny stitt (2 cuts)

back to my own home town

Edited by Soulstation1

Sam Jones - Cello Again

Barney Kessel - Let's Cook

Louis Bellson - 150 MPH

Charlie Hunter and Bobby Previte as Groundtruther - Altitude with special guest John Medeski

Marin Alsop - Brahms: Symphony No. 3 / Haydn Variations (Naxos)

Jackie McLean - 4 5 & 6, Makin' The Changes

Art Farmer - On The Road

American Analog Set - Promise Of Love

Her Space Holiday - Manic Expressive

Owen - No Good For No One Now

Owls - Owls

Two Guys - Recorded

Headlights - Some Racing, Some Stopping (fucking amazing)

Owen - The EP

Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon

Get Him Eat Him - Arms Down

The Mountain Goats - Beautiful Rat Sunset

The Ebb And Flow - Time To Echolocate

Jazz:

10600040_155_155.jpeg

Other:

11092997_155_155.jpeg

Ratzo Harris on that Werner is solid. Really enjoy that album. Be interested in what you think about Zen House. One of my favorites of the numerous pairings of Hellborg and Lane. If you haven't listen to Temporal Analogues of Paradise...

Today:

10812708_155_155.jpeg11133608_155_155.jpeg10969044_155_155.jpeg11168239_155_155.jpeg

11138617_155_155.jpeg10941419_155_155.jpeg11132448_155_155.jpeg11071166_155_155.jpeg

Edited by wordsandsounds