Recent Down Loads And Additions From E - Music

Soulstation1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first couple tracks of the Drake/Gahnold/Parker sounded good, toward the inside side of freebop. Gahnold is melodic with a brawny tone and Parker and Drake are fine.

Two Jane Ira Blooms have appeared as one track albums. Like Silver, Like Song is the one I've listened to and was well worth it. There's one track that prominently features Jamie Saft's electronics and it's quite good. It is the first time that I noticed that Jane Ira Bloom's Arabesques have disappeared from eMu, the rest of the label is still there. Haven't listened to Mental Weather yet. Allmusic is blisfully unaware, but Google reports a quartet with Dawn Clement on piano and Rhodes, Mark Helias and Matt Wilson.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I've listened to the first few tracks from Phil Grenadier - Sweet Transients a couple of times. Nice Blue-Noteish vibe.

More recently:

Elliott Carter - String Quartets 1 and 5 - Pacifica Quartet

The Woodstock Jazz Festival set mentioned in another thread, with Corea, Braxton, Konitz and Metheny.

Niels Lan Doky - Live at the Montmartre (with Bob Berg)

and two David Murrays on Justin Time that I haven't listened to yet.

The Larry Ochs and Melford - Ehrlich from last batch are still getting a lot of play.

My credits renewed yesterday, always a good day.

Jazz:

11142141_155_155.jpeg10603706_155_155.jpeg

11134883_155_155.jpeg11137538_155_155.jpeg

Haven't got to everything yet but the Dizzy w/ Bird and the John Taylor are both excellent.

Non Jazz:

10918454_155_155.jpeg10845910_155_155.jpeg

11134586_155_155.jpeg11141854_155_155.jpeg

Love the Big Momma Thorton w/ Muddy Waters band and to my surprise I am really digging the Cat Power.

Looking forward to the Booker Ervin, Rosenwinkle (my first) Cinematic Orchestra (another first) and the Max Romeo.

Edited by WorldB3

My credits renewed yesterday, always a good day.

11134883_155_155.jpeg

Looking forward to the Booker Ervin, Rosenwinkle (my first) Cinematic Orchestra (another first) and the Max Romeo.

That's a good record, but not necesarrily representative of him as a player. I remember when his first Verve album came out, Enemies of Energy he said it took so long for that to be picked up and released that he had already moved on from that band conception too. Nonetheless, a good record. If I were to point you at one though, check out Next Step.

392930.jpg

Also, nice to see you picked up the Diz and Bird like you said you would. The Cinematic is also right up your alley. Enjoy those...

No jazz this month (sorry guys)

Owen - At Home With Owen - Polyvinyl

Owen - I Do Percieve - Polyvinyl

Elliott Smith - Either/Or - Kill Rock Stars/DRA

Spoon - Girls Can Tell - Merge

Beirut - Gulag Orkestar - Ba Da Bing

Lullaby For The Working Class - I Never Even Asked For Light - Bar None

Laura Gibson - If You Come To Greet Me - Hush

Simon Joyner - Lost With The Lights On - JagJaguwar

The Bruces - The War Of The Bruces - Misra

American Football - s/t - Polyvinyl

Wardell Gray - Live in Hollywood

Sandy Bull - Still Valentine's Day, 1969

McCoy Tyner - 4X4

Stacey Kent - Dreamsville

Ray Bryant - Ray Bryant Trio

Sun Ra - We Travel The Spaceways/Bad And Beautiful

The Great Jazz Trio - Autumn Leaves

Sam Jones - The Chant

Frank Rosolino - Free For All

http://www.emusic.com/browse/l/b/-dbm/a/0-...00175005/0.html

some new funky stuff

the willis jackson looks good

It's not, though. It's one of the worst albums he ever made. Its sole redeeming feature is that it's only 27 minutes long, so it's over quick.

Oh, OK, it's not quite that bad, but I imagine you've got lots of better things to do with your money.

One of the tracks - "Ain't no sunshine" - is on the Harlem Underground Band album, much of which is also on the George Benson. All of HUB is made up of Willis Jackson recordings done for Winley and originally released on Trip, with vocal overdubs on three tracks to make them pseudo-hip. It's pretty interesting, actually. I play it quite a bit.

I'll listen to the Benson tracks that maybe I haven't got (or maybe I have under different titles) and see if I recognise anything. Can you do that if you're not a customer?

MG

Just listened to the samples of most of "Erotic moods". Apart from the title track, which is new to me and doesn't sound like a Gator Tail effort, all the tracks are from Willis Jackson's Trip albums, recorded by Paul Winley in the early seventies (but usually with Willis turned way down in the mix).

They'd have done better to have reissued those two other LPs - "Mellow blues" and "Funky Reggae" - than "Plays around with the hits". I'd maybe have joined up for "Funky Reggae", because I haven't got a proper copy.

MG

Okay, I'm a newly wed and money is tight, so my emusic account is where I am doing most of my more adventurous music purchasing now days. (I am only buying CDs if it is by one of my absolute favs.) I know almost nothing about classical music, but I picked up Gyorgy Sandor's Complete Bartok piano collection and loved it. (I came to this rather impulsive buy after a serious Herbie Nichols bender.) I've checked out the classical threads on Bartok, and saw that none of the super recommended recordings are on emusic, but does anyone know if any of the other Bartok stuff on emusic is worth checking out, or should I just save my pennys and downloads, and wait until I'm purchasing more CDs again?

Thanks in advance.

This time I got:

Anthony Braxton - Six Compositions 2001 GTM, first 2 cds

Bauder/Ajemian - Object 3

And my favourite band of all time that I still haven't heard everything by:

The Fall - Unutterable, Extricate and the Protein Christmas ep.

Lots to sink my teeth into and I've still got a backlog of stuff from last month I didn't even listen to once!

Okay, I'm a newly wed and money is tight, so my emusic account is where I am doing most of my more adventurous music purchasing now days. (I am only buying CDs if it is by one of my absolute favs.) I know almost nothing about classical music, but I picked up Gyorgy Sandor's Complete Bartok piano collection and loved it. (I came to this rather impulsive buy after a serious Herbie Nichols bender.) I've checked out the classical threads on Bartok, and saw that none of the super recommended recordings are on emusic, but does anyone know if any of the other Bartok stuff on emusic is worth checking out, or should I just save my pennys and downloads, and wait until I'm purchasing more CDs again?

Thanks in advance.

Can't help you myself, Jams, but I think you'd do better asking in one of the Bartok threads. This is the biggest

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...5&hl=bartok

MG

From my first account:

Andy Bey Ain't Necessarily So

Flo & Eddie The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie / Flo & Eddie

American Music Club The Golden Age

Raveonettes Lust Lust Lust

Nelly McKay Obligatory Villagers

Eddie Bo The Hook & Sling

Bang On A Can Music For Airports

Louis Hayes S/T (first 6)

And the second:

Elvin Jones Elvin!

Chet Baker Lonely Star

Eric Kloss Sky Shadows In The Land Of The Giants

Dexter Gordon Jazz At Highschool

Jacki Byard Blues For Smoke

Groove Holmes Soul Message (RVG)

Kenny Dorham Quiet Kenny (RVG)

Gene Ammons Boss Tenor (RVG)

Thelonious Monk Thelonious Monk Trio (RVG)

Bobby Timmons Workin' Out

Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Jack DeJohnette The Song Is You (2 discs)

I'm really tempted to ditch the second account. They're both grandfathered in at the old rates, which is why I'm so reluctant. But, damnit, I just have more music than I know what to do with. It's so hard though when there's so much good stuff there to be had.

Mike Doughty - Golden Delicious

j56595cjij9.jpg

And slowly picking away at Braxton's "9 Compositions (Iridium) 2006".

11022428_155_155.jpeg

"more music than I know what to do with", indeed. :)

With the exception of Joanna Newsom's Ys (with which I am obsessed and I now own the deluxe double vinyl issue and about 20 bootlegs of in various forms) the Braxton box is easily my favourite emusic download sinse I signed up. I have only really explored the first cd thoroughly and I've already had about 20 hours of enjoyment. It will take me years to get to grips with it all.

I've spent the last week or so reading the archives, and went on an OJC bender once my downloads re-upped today. I've got a lot of listening to do. All of these came highly recommended somewhere on this site, with the possible exception of "Speak Brother Speak" but I only had two downloads left. I'll be back with some notes after I do some listening.

Jazz:

Quiet Kenny (RVG)- Kenny Dorham

We Three (RVG)- Roy Haynes

John Jenkins, Clifford Jordan and Bobby Timmons

In The Land Of Giants- Eric Kloss

Screamin' The Blues- Oliver Nelson

Deeds Not Words- Max Roach

Speak Brother Speak- Max Roach

Blue Stompin'- Hal Singer

Harlem Banjo- Elmer Snowden

The Quest- Mal Waldron

Texas Twister- Don Wilkerson

For Lady- Webster Young

Bartok:

Violin Concertos 1&2 and Contrasts- Kalman Burkes

Concerto For Orchestra-Paavo Jarvi

Don Patterson - Dem New York Dues

Don Patterson - Boppin' & Burnin'

Brother Jack McDuff - Screamin'

Mel Rhyne - Organ-izing

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Super Soul

Illinoise Jacquet - The Soul Explosion

The Mighty Tom Cats - Soul Makossa

King Curtis - Trouble In Mind

Jimmy Forrest - Sit Down & Relax With...

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Super Soul

Noj, I bet you didn't know that Groove Holmes' recording with Gerald Wilson was the first jazz organ with big band recording. I had thought that the first was a Jimmy Smith with Oliver Nelson effort, but I was wrong.

I got Super Soul a couple of years ago, and didn't think that it was all that great. I didn't think much effort was put into the arrangements. But I guess at eMusic's prices you can't complain!