Mountaineer, Ex-Nazi Heinrich Harrer Dies

Mountaineer, Ex-Nazi Heinrich Harrer Dies

Staff and agencies

07 January, 2006

By WILLIAM J. KOLE, 2 hours, 27 minutes ago

VIENNA, Austria - Heinrich Harrer, an Austrian mountaineer and former Nazi who became a friend and tutor of the young Dalai Lama, died Saturday. He was 93.

Actor Brad Pitt played Harrer in the film "Seven Years in Tibet," which was based on Harrer‘s 1953 memoir of his time in the Himalayan nation.

At least nine mountaineers had died trying to scale the sheer wall, long considered Europe‘s greatest mountaineering challenge. Dozens have perished in subsequent attempts.

His ascent earned him fame and a handshake from Adolf Hitler: Harrer had joined the Nazi party when Germany took control of Austria in 1938. He also joined the SS, the party‘s police wing associated with atrocities during World War II.

Harrer and a colleague were arrested by British troops in India at the end of that expedition as war broke out in September 1939.

Harrer taught the Dalai Lama mathematics, English and sports, and became his adviser and friend. Harrer‘s subsequent book about the experience, "Seven Years in Tibet," was translated into 48 languages.

His adventures became known to millions worldwide in the 1997 film starring Pitt. It was only a few months before the movie‘s release that his Nazi past caught up with him.

While he had said he joined the Nazi party to further his teaching and mountaineering careers, Harrer did not explain why he joined the SA when Nazis still were persecuted in Austria.

Harrer was interned at the start of the war and never linked to any Nazi atrocities.

Simon Wiesenthal, the famed Nazi hunter who died last year, said Harrer was not involved in politics and was innocent of wrongdoing.

A publicity-shy man who divided his time between Austria and Liechtenstein, Harrer told the Austria Press Agency in June 1997 that he had a "clear conscience."

He said, however, that "from today‘s view, the former party and SS membership is an extremely unpleasant thing."

He also repudiated his Nazi membership as a "stupid mistake" and an "ideological error."

Harrer was decorated with numerous high awards and honors during his career, including Austria‘s Golden Humboldt medal and the "Light of Truth" award bestowed by Tibet‘s government-in-exile in India.

http://www.heraldnewsdaily.com/stories/news-00121549.html

Edited by BERIGAN

I am SHOCKED, do you hear me, Conrad? SHOCKED and OUTRAGED that you would put this in anything but the covert "political" forum! Think of Dan's heart--have you no compassion? If he sees this, he will have a hissy fit, for sure--or is the mention of Adolph Hitler more acceptable than that of George W. Bush?

:blush:

For the sake of decency and a certain poster's health, will someone in power please move this thread out of the way before it is detected by the Florida sensor (censor?)

I am SHOCKED, do you hear me, Conrad? SHOCKED and OUTRAGED that you would put this in anything but the covert "political" forum! Think of Dan's heart--have you no compassion? If he sees this, he will have a hissy fit, for sure--or is the mention of Adolph Hitler more acceptable than that of George W. Bush?

:blush:

For the sake of decency and a certain poster's health, will someone in power please move this thread out of the way before it is detected by the Florida sensor (censor?)

You're a fool, Albertson. This is an obit about an historical figure. Not a dumb-ass Frank Rich column about gays, the religious right, and the culture war.

And I find it hysterical that you talk about hissy fits when it was YOU who announced your "departure" from this board after that very thread WAS moved. Have you seriously still not perceived the reason?

Well, as I said, you ARE a fool.

This is political?

I think some people on this board have one or more screws loose.

Or just have it in for me because, like a former smoker who's now militantly anti-smoking, I am a reformed Political Forum junkie. Having seen how much better the board is without that garbage, I do my best to insure it doesn't infect the rest of the board.

Albertson is no doubt sick of preaching to the choir and continuously starts topics in the Miscellaneous Forum which are obviously political in nature and I keep calling him on it. It even led him to "leave" the board but that obviously didn't take and now that a topic is posted without the slightlest connection to politics except the historical fact that the man had joined the Nazi party gives Chris leave to post as a fool does.

Edited by Dan Gould

This is political?

I think some people on this board have one or more screws loose.

Or just have it in for me because, like a former smoker who's now militantly anti-smoking, I am a reformed Political Forum junkie. Having seen how much better the board is without that garbage, I do my best to insure it doesn't infect the rest of the board.

Albertson is no doubt sick of preaching to the choir and continuously starts topics in the Miscellaneous Forum which are obviously political in nature and I keep calling him on it. It even led him to "leave" the board but that obviously didn't take and now that a topic is posted without the slightlest connection to politics except the historical fact that the man had joined the Nazi party gives Chris leave to post as a fool does.

How do you know he "left", if it was in the politix forum and you "don't" look at it? :ph34r:

Try the search function.

It can do amazing things (if you know how it works).

I don't need the search function to find the political forum. I re-read the beginings of the thread and it still looks like the thread was moved and then Chris stopped posting for a few days.

How does Dan know he left? Does he post with his broadband connection and then watch the political forum with a dial up connection on another machine? :ph34r:

Try the search function.

I don't need the search function to find the political forum. I re-read the beginings of the thread and it still looks like the thread was moved and then Chris stopped posting for a few days.

How does Dan know he left? Does he post with his broadband connection and then watch the political forum with a dial up connection on another machine? :ph34r:

What I meant was that you can use the search function to find out who posted what & when.

That way you can see who left for how long and when he/she started posting again.

Simple, really..

Try the search function.

What I meant was that you can use the search function to find out who posted what & when.

That way you can see who left for how long and when he/she started posting again.

Simple, really..

Even simpler is looking at the thread.

"How do you know he 'left', if it was in the politix forum and you "don't" look at it?"

Good question 7/4

Gould: "Albertson is no doubt sick of preaching to the choir and continuously starts topics in the Miscellaneous Forum which are obviously political in nature and I keep calling him on it."

Not really, Dan. For one thing, it is impossible to preach to the choir on something as far-reaching as the internet. Apart from that, I sense some kind of paranoia here--the fact is that I do not "continuously" start political topics outside of the dreaded political forum, and you flatter yourself if you think my two alleged exceptions were for your benefit.

Am I the only one here who sees how silly this mole hill mountain is?

:g:g:g

Try the search function.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...topic=21591&hl=

Read post 7.

Hell, you're such a dumb fuck, you even posted in the very same thread.

But what can you expect from a "musician" whose most complimentary press is,

"It's fundamentally static, but I can listen to literally hours of the stuff. Its the best thing since Prozac."

Try the search function.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...topic=21591&hl=

Read post 7.

We're talking about the Dan on Bareback Mountain thread. You find this exciting? No? Yes?

"It's fundamentally static, but I can listen to literally hours of the stuff. Its the best thing since Prozac."

Great press? I'm not a Jazz musican Dan. I'm a composer. Classical music Dan? Where's your's Village Voice or L.A. Times review? :g

Read post 7.

There's the name calling Jim. :lol: