for those who missed out the cheap Universal Mosaics

tjobbe

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Frank Wess CD is a gem!

The Timmons Prestige Trios, OTOH, are not so thrilling ....

Fully agree re: the Wess. What a sleeper that 'Long Road' CD is (actually bought it full price ! - am I the only one?). Superbly recorded too and with great horn arrangements.

Quite enjoy the Timmons Trios. Purchased in my last zwei batch, must give it another listen.

got my Mingus on Satursday and a note today from jpc with apologies about not being able to get the Brownie back in stock...was a try but yu shouldn't get to gready :D

EDIT: for sure, the delivery from 2001 contained not only the Mingus one :D

Edited by tjobbe

is there an on-line listing of what's in the Debut box ? I know it's not just Mingus but what else?

I just greedily studied the booklet at the shop, so I can give you a rough idea of the Mingus sideman stuff: the trios of John Dennis / Paul Bley / Hazel Scott with Mingus and Roach; a session by Shafi Hadi with Clarence Shaw; a session by Jimmy Knepper with Joe Maini and Bill Triglia; two Thad Jones sessions one with Frank Wess, one quartet; Oscar Pettiford with Julian Watkins and Phil Urso; the Quintet concert with Dizzy, Bird, Bud Powell, Mingus and Roach (and the trio tracks with the latter three); and there is more...

is there an on-line listing of what's in the Debut box ? I know it's not just Mingus but what else?

I just greedily studied the booklet at the shop, so I can give you a rough idea of the Mingus sideman stuff: the trios of John Dennis / Paul Bley / Hazel Scott with Mingus and Roach; a session by Shafi Hadi with Clarence Shaw; a session by Jimmy Knepper with Joe Maini and Bill Triglia; two Thad Jones sessions one with Frank Wess, one quartet; Oscar Pettiford with Julian Watkins and Phil Urso; the Quintet concert with Dizzy, Bird, Bud Powell, Mingus and Roach (and the trio tracks with the latter three); and there is more...

Also the 'Four Trombones' session recorded in Brooklyn and some very off-beat 'thirdstream' sessions featuring Thad Jones and vocalist Don Senay, arranged by Alonzo Levister. The material in this set is truly fascinating.

Edited by sidewinder

The sale finally seems to have hit the UK. I went to the new Fopp store on Tottenham Court Road (near Goodge St station) and they had a very large selection of fantasy cds at £3 and £5. What is more they had a large selection of the box sets that have been available at 2001.

They had the following (I didn't note the prices down so I am going from memory):

Miles Prestige £20

Art Tatum Group Pablo £15

Dexter Gordon Prestige £30

The two Bill Evans Milestone boxes at £20 each

Evans Riverside £50

Evans Fantasy £30 (which I don't think made the 2001 site this year)

Art Pepper at £60

Monk Riverside £60

Wes Montgomery Riverside £30

Stax/Volt Volume 3 £30

They also had the CR and Riverside boxes. Apparently they also had two Rollins (presumably the Prestige and Freelance) and the Dolphy but they were all gone. Unfortunately no sign of the Joe Henderson Milestone.

They also had a very large selection of Blue Notes at £5 (including doubles and Connoisseurs - sometimes both!)

Also, obviously, no K2s but if any of our American brethren are interested in the boxes above just let me know and I'm sure we could work out some mutually beneficial arrangement :D

Edited by djcavanagh

Holy Bejeebers ! I was in the Bath Fopp store yesterday and they had none of this stuff. :rmad:

Thanks for the advisory ! :tup

No problem.

I think that they nust have been saving them for their new "flagship" store - it is much bigger than any of the others that I've been in. I was in the Cambridge Circus store on Saturday and the only box they had then was one of the live Bill Evans ones. And their Blue Note selection was the same size as it always is.

I wouldn't hang around though - they only opened on Wednesday and have sold out of three sets already, although they did have quite a number of the sets that I listed.

Holy Bejeebers ! I was in the Bath Fopp store yesterday and they had none of this stuff. :rmad:

Thanks for the advisory ! :tup

No problem.

I think that they nust have been saving them for their new "flagship" store - it is much bigger than any of the others that I've been in. I was in the Cambridge Circus store on Saturday and the only box they had then was one of the live Bill Evans ones. And their Blue Note selection was the same size as it always is.

I wouldn't hang around though - they only opened on Wednesday and have sold out of three sets already, although they did have quite a number of the sets that I listed.

The Fopps near me have had large numbers of OJCs for £5 for some time. No boxes here in Edinburgh. Mixture of OJC titles loads of Cal Tjader, Brubeck, Tyner and a mother load of those nasty 20 bit digipaks. Some decent stuff if you look. I got some Tjader and was impressed by his talent for the first time- way better than his Verve output that I've heard.

Is there a cheap Mosaic Oliver Nelson or Dizzy box set?

not at 2001 yet. The regular price in germany's online shops is at 75-80€ for the Nelson. The Dizzy is not yet available but announce for end of August at 90+€

Those 2 sets and the Buddy Rich set should all be available at 2001 sooner or later, since they are 10,000-copy Verve sets like Basie, Farlow, Jazztet, and Eldridge, all of which have been available at 2001.

Whilst I've been on holiday my helpful neighbour has been putting out my green wheelie bin for the refuse collectors. Guess where the DHL man decides to put my delivery from 2001..... you guessed it in the smelly wheelie bin !!!. ....doh...... Luckily it was spotted and all's well.

On a less happy note discs 6,8,10 from the Dexter Gordon Prestige set play with great difficulty on my main CD player. All discs look perfect and play ok in other (less fancy) CD players. They will play eventually by repeatedly ejecting the disc. When the player at last recognises a disc as being present it plays it flawlessly.

I've noticed a few other CDs have been difficult to play on this CD player but none as tricky as these three. So I have no idea if it's my CD player or the CDs. Any thoughts?

Whilst I've been on holiday my helpful neighbour has been putting out my green wheelie bin for the refuse collectors. Guess where the DHL man decides to put my delivery from 2001..... you guessed it in the smelly wheelie bin !!!. ....doh...... Luckily it was spotted and all's well.

On a less happy note discs 6,8,10 from the Dexter Gordon Prestige set play with great difficulty on my main CD player. All discs look perfect and play ok in other (less fancy) CD players. They will play eventually by repeatedly ejecting the disc. When the player at last recognises a disc as being present it plays it flawlessly.

I've noticed a few other CDs have been difficult to play on this CD player but none as tricky as these three. So I have no idea if it's my CD player or the CDs. Any thoughts?

i also got some CDs from the 2001 where my (not very fancy but admittedly aging) CD Player had difficulties - although he finally played them... (though sometimes not from the beginning) I think Frank Strozier "Long Night" and Lockjaw Davis "Trane Whistle", Joe Henderson "At the Lighthouse" but my memory fails me here; some of the other people I frequently meet at 2001 complained about Harold Land "West Coast Blues" and Woody Shaw "Black Stone Legacy" but my copies of these play fine...

niko

ps i just put in the strozier to prove my claim and it played immediately and right from the start

i also got some CDs from the 2001 where my (not very fancy but admittedly aging) CD Player had difficulties - although he finally played them... (though sometimes not from the beginning) I think Frank Strozier "Long Night" and Lockjaw Davis "Trane Whistle", Joe Henderson "At the Lighthouse" but my memory fails me here; some of the other people I frequently meet at 2001 complained about Harold Land "West Coast Blues" and Woody Shaw "Black Stone Legacy" but my copies of these play fine...

No problems with the Woody and the Harold Land but I had to return my copy of Strozier's Long Night. For some reason it started skipping like mad 50 seconds into the 12th track or something. It played fine on my car CD player and another one in the bedroom but not in my main (still pretty new) 5 disc changer in the living room. The replacement copy plays fine on all of them though. Weird. I should note that the disc looked absolutely flawless.

Edited by Kyo