Wireless Headphones

DukeCity

I'm interested in getting some wireless headphones (I like the idea of doing more headphone listening, but don't want to be tethered to sitting right in front of my stereo).

Sennheiser seems to have the most models at a variety of prices. Do they work OK? Do they suffer much from interference from cordless phones, wireless internet, TV, etc? Are the differences between the models primarily ones of audio quality or of signal clarity?

Other brands/models to recommend?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

A kind sould wanted to be kind and gave me a pair as a gift. They received the radio from the neighbours on the right and when I switched to the other channel, I could listen in on the mobile phone from the neighbours on the left. Although I was tempted to keep 'em just for the juicy details from the left, I got rid of them as the constant hum was making my ears bleed. The kind soul was kind about it.

I owned two different pairs (two different brands), probably around 15-20 years ago. I think the first pair I got was made by "ProScan". These had a built-in (non-replaceable) rechargeable battery in the headset. They worked very well, and sounded okay, but once the battery started to decline after about two years, it was all over. I got another pair that had replaceable batteries, but they didn't work quite as well, and died even sooner than the first pair.

I still like the idea of having a pair around, and I would have thought that the technology would have improved by now, but I haven't seen or heard of any well-made product lately.

Suffered similar issues using wireless speakers for outdoor parties. Guests enjoyed music until the neighbor's teenager fired up the cordless phone.

Has anyone tried the newer BlueTooth wireless headphones? Smaller range than old tech wireless, but perhaps cleaner?

A kind sould wanted to be kind and gave me a pair as a gift. They received the radio from the neighbours on the right and when I switched to the other channel, I could listen in on the mobile phone from the neighbours on the left. Although I was tempted to keep 'em just for the juicy details from the left, I got rid of them as the constant hum was making my ears bleed. The kind soul was kind about it.

• 7 months later...

Can anybody update this topic in terms of personal experience? My wife wants to get her dad some wireless headphones for latenight tv and dvd viewing, and I wouldn't mind having a decent pair myself for the same purpose. I've done some online research, but with the array of products out there (including various models by the same company- some cheap, some expensive, some infrared, some radio-frequency, good reviews and bad reviews of the same products, etc etc), it's difficult to try to sort it all out. I still have a resistance to buying something on the cheaper end of the spectrum (as I posted above, I've had a couple of pairs that didn't last), but I'm also hesitant to spend $150 - $300 on something that is unproven and may be overkill in terms of sound quality (I'm not planning to use them with the stereo as much).

Also, I'm still not really up to speed on "bluetooth". Most of the phones I've looked at- full closed-ear headphones- don't seem to use that technology (either "RF" in a higher range than bluetooth; or infrared seem to be the standard options). It seems as though IR technology might make the most sense for wireless headphones used for tv (the required "line of sight" being pretty much a given most of the time).

Edited by Jim R