DVDs:

FOYLE'S WAR (set 1)

KING KONG (4-DVD set)

WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953 version)

MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM

Books:

J.G. Farrell, THE SINGAPORE GRIP

Scott Turow, ORDINARY HEROES

As a roommate of mine used to chant to himself, "I am happiness personified." :g

My daughter gave me this, this morning, when we went over for lunch

B000B66PS4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Not unexpected, as I'd arranged with the record shop to keep the copy by for her a fortnight ago.

She also got me two coffee mugs, from the oldest record shop in the world (where I buy a lot of my records), which match the t-shirt my wife got me last year.

I also got lots of chox - zowie!

A cardigan

A calendar full of pugs

Virgin Megastore vouchers - for spending in the Virgin January sales

And my four year old grandson let me beat him at snooker! :g

MG

A Classic Jazz Calendar with black and white photographs by Chuck Stewart.

An Orbitrac 2 record-cleaner.

A new cordless phone

Tons of soap, perfume, etc. etc. etc.

Most special gift is a framed photograph of my first grandson, Matthew, in a cowboy hat on a hobby horse, from his mother, my oldest daughter.

No music, because nobody knows exactly what I like and I have tons.

Almost everybody shies aways from giving me CDs after seeing my collection and knowing my peculiar tastes ...... so i always make me some Christmas CD gifts myself. Unfortunately the one I looked forward to the most, the Cherubini string quartets played by Hausmusik, sits at the post office until Tuesday .....

My wife gave me several very interesting books, autobiographical stuff by German authors reflecting the Nazi past of their fathers etc. - I will have some great reading time. Oh yes, and one book with all existing photos of Franz Liszt!

No one except my Dad dares to give me music and even then it's rare. He gave me Spike Jones & His City Slickers - Strictly for Music Lovers box. :lol:

Some cash, some clothes...and my Mother gave me her Mother's Florentine mandolin, probably a 100 years old. :excited:

Edit: not a Florentine, but a round back. Quite beautiful with inlays.

And there'll be more when my Neice and Nephew stop by.

Edited by 7/4

Wife gave me the new Guralnick Sam Cooke bio and a copy of "Night Beat" on CD. She also gave me a beatuiful book called "The World on Sunday" which contains beautiful reproductions of full pages from the "New York World" sunday paper from 1898 to 1911. My birthday is on Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to the Miles "Cellar Door" box set. I got a few things I need to exchange (sister-in-law gave me an iPod Nano, even though I already own an iPod) so I'm hoping to be able to get either the Ray Charles Atlantic box or the "Goodbye Babylon" box with some of the proceeds of the exchage...

Not going to post an exhaustive list but here are the highlights:

The Columbia Swing Sessions (Mosaic)

The Ray Charles Atlantic Box

Charles Tolliver Mosaic Select

Scott Hamilton, Back in New York

the name escapes me, it was mentioned here though - a set of Thad Jones tunes by an all-star group

I think its titled Three in One maybe?

Rusty Bryant, Rusty Returns (I think maybe SS1 mentioned this?)

Mulgrew Miller, the Yoshi's Set 2 release

A twofer of B.B. King Bluesway releases

Books:

Now I Can Die in Peace, by Bill Simmons

Win it For ... by the Sons of Sam Horn Red Sox website

102 Minutes (two NYT reporters cover, in great detail, what happened inside the WTC)

On the plus side, I flew my mother-in-law here to spend time with my wife and son, so that's good. It was a fairly relaxed Christmas and I got an Edmond Hall CD and Manny Albam's New York Jazz. So that's good.

On the down side, we lost phone service a few days ago - maybe even on Thursday, but we didn't discover this until after working hours on Saturday (we really don't call much). The phone company here had literally no one working on Christmas and a skeleton crew on Boxing Day. They tell me a switch is out, taking out much of Cambridge, and they'll investigate and get back to me in two days! So I won't be able to call anyone on Christmas or Boxing Day. They seem so fucking nonchalant about it as well. Things like this making living in England a real fucking drag.

Every year I give Santa a list of Mosaics I'm interested in. This year I received the Crusaders set AND a 100.00 gift certificate for another Mosaic. Santa was bery, bery good to me this year.

We got our daughter a kitten (a Persian--perfect temperament!). Although the kitten has been on the receiving end of too much love from our daughter now and then ('no, honey, hold the cat THIS way'), it is taking it all with a placid resignation. And with dignity :)

After 72 whirlwind hours spent with family (ours, hers, mine) and finding out that you can serve an affordable Christmas dinner buying everything at Trader Joe's, that roasting a few chickens is way easier than one turkey, and that your 9 month old daughter has a voracious appetite for dim sum (roast pork & green onion crepes, fried taro, soy sauce noodles, and assorted dumplings, sho mai (sp?), and steamed veggies), I grabbed the toolbox this morning and started putting all the kids gifts together. Play tunnels, easels, feeding batteries into every gadget known to kid-kind...

Also had a chance to listen to some of my gifts (not all at once of course)... :D

Monk / Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall (LP)

Blakey - At The Jazz Corner of the World (2CD)

Burrell - Introducing Kenny Burrell (2CD Conn)

Dorham - 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia (2CD)

McPartland - Piano Jazz with Bill Evans (CD)

Navarro - With Tadd Dameron (CD)

Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard (2CD)

Paul Chambers - Mosaic Select

Bennie Green - Mosaic Select

Norman Granz - The Complete Jam Sessions

Also had a chance to leaf through...

Milt Hinton - Bass Line

iPod Therefore I Am

and a hand full of Continuum's 33 1/3 series books

Damn... out of AA's already!!! Grrrrr.... :rmad: