Hey Sangry - Sly & The Family Stone

Jim Alfredson

Ok, so the drummer we used this weekend up in northern Michigan brought this CD to the table, which I've never seen, filled with Sly & The Family Stone tunes I've never heard:

The All Music Entry

I see that this CD has a some of the same tunes, but with some other stuff: The other All Music Entry

Anyone know anything about these? The stuff is on the first disc is super-FUNKY!

I'm not familiar with many of the tunes on the second entry above, but the first is basically Sly & the Family Stone's 1979 comeback lp Back on the Right Track(Warner Bros. Records), with a different track order and one additional tune. This was probably the best of the later Sly records, an Indian summer of sorts. I like "Remember Who You Are," a lot too, Noj. But my favorite track is probably "The Same Thing (Makes You Laugh, Makes You Cry)." There's some serious funk on this joint, easily his best since Fresh from 1973.

Sly Stone is one of my favorite musicians of all time regardless of genre, and one of the top influences on my now-dormant, 20 year stint singing, writing songs, and playing in bands.

I remember seeing the song time for There's A Riot Goin' On as 0:00. Did I see that correctly & if so, is there as song there or maybe just silence?

It was listed on the LP label and insert sheet as the last song on Side One, following "Africa Talks to You "The Asphalt Jungle"". But there's no song. I always took it as a conceptual thing, saying that there's no time left, timber, all fall down, watch out, etc..