Donald Byrd - Fuego

Twere'nt me, my man...I'll stick with my 47 W. 63rd mono version! :)

Amen ! The definitive issue..

huh? there's a definitive issue of this already? they don't wait, do they! :P

playing the album in question now... wanted a fix of your formulaic hardbop, after all the weirdo and ratto stuffo I've been playing all day long... I guess I'll join the queue behind you, Hans, if that's ok. ;)

Seriously: this is an ok album. I like Byrd quite alright, but I never thought him to be particularly great on this disc. Also I'm not sure how well I really like Pearson on these Byrd dates ( :ph34r: ), plus I'm not sure I like Humphries banging away... leaves Jackie Mac and Doug Watkins, both of whom I love... but that's not enough for a totally successful album. For me, this disc is just one of a larger number of good hardbop albums, not much more.

Also I'm not sure how well I really like Pearson on these Byrd dates ( :ph34r: )

Just how cool can you get, man?

I'm cold, man! Almost dead-cold... <_<

Sersiously: Jackie does some great burning playing on this disc, but the rest is your usual hardbop schtick. Not that that's a bad thing per se, but still... as for Pearson... I haven't heard that much of his work, only the occasional sideman disc, and some of those mid-sized groups he arranged for BN (like those Stanley T albums) - and somehow this is all good and nice, but... failed to really grab me so far. Again I repeat: except for your longtime avatar big band disc (good one!), I do not own any of his leader albums.

Ubu, my impression is that Pearson always sounded slightly more confident (and enjoyable) when he had some more influence over the arranging/producing etc. than on his typical sideman dates. As for what Pearson albums I think you should get, that's a matter for a different thread (I think there is a Pearson recommendations thread somewhere already).

(I kind of liked the big band Pearson avatar as he has a sort of mysterious smile on that cover, but one day my avatar for some reason did not show anymore, so I scanned a photo from - guess what - the Donald Byrd Mosaic set instead!)

Ubu, my impression is that Pearson always sounded slightly more confident (and enjoyable) when he had some more influence over the arranging/producing etc. than on his typical sideman dates. As for what Pearson albums I think you should get, that's a matter for a different thread (I think there is a Pearson recommendations thread somewhere already).

(I kind of liked the big band Pearson avatar as he has a sort of mysterious smile on that cover, but one day my avatar for some reason did not show anymore, so I scanned a photo from - guess what - the Donald Byrd Mosaic set instead!)

Daniel, I have that Mosaic.... still mostly not heard yet, but I got it when it sold out... I guess I'd know where to ask for Pearson recommendations, anyway, would the board not turn up what I was looking for!

The problem then is that I'd had to order the BNs from the US, which sucks... that's prob. the reason why I am not in possession of any Pearson RVG (I don't even know if there's just one or if there are more, I completely lost touch with BN's reissue schedule).

After reading this thread, I went back and listened to Fuego a few times through while running errands yesterday. My impression is that this was better than I remembered. I particularly like Watkins' playing on this set, and also the Baptist beat of the closing track, "Amen." All in all, I'd say this is an above-average Blue Note hard bop set, well worth the money for anyone who likes this kind of music.

• 10 months later...

I found a copy today at the Borders in Lewisville, of all places. Driving back to Arlington was made that much nicer, as the groove was so nice & relaxing. I especially dig "Funky Mama." Lex Humphries is wonderful, as is Duke Pearson. Whatta great session; glad I finally got it!

By coincidence, I bought this yesterday and just had my first listen.

Struck me as being a routine Blue Note date (for which read: 'very enjoyable') and, as most folks here have pointed out, McLean is the best thing here.

The use of the pocket trumpet didn't seem to make any special difference, although Byrd seems to occasionally struggle with articulation in the upper register.

I need another listen to have it sink in but I'd say it's worth having.