Donald Byrd - Fuego

Does anyone know this record? I've not had a chance to hear it, but I have a friend who plays the pocket trumpet and was thinking about picking it up for him as a secular, non-specific holiday present. If the tone is bad he may not like it. I know that some of the older pocket trumpets sounded pretty bad. I've listenned to the clips, but there is always alto playing with him on the heads.

Technically, there's nothing wrong with Byrd's playing on 'Fuego', at least not in my opinion. Musically, it's neither much better nor worse than his other Blue Notes of the day; it doesn't stand out from his late 50s output in any way. His tone was never the fattest among trumpeters, and it could sound somewhat uncertain from time to time. He sounds OK here, though, but plays it rather safe.

Edit: As usual, just my very personal opinion of the date. :) (added after reading the praise in the previous post. I guess I'm just not a great Byrd fan, though I have most of his Blue Note albums which I enjoy for what they are; mostly solid and not too adventurous hard bop dates)

Edited by Daniel A

Another great classic-era Blue Note album, one of many, no more, no less. 'Free Form' is my favorite Byrd, especially the second side with 'French Spice' and the title track. He recorded some great albums then (although I've always thought he was particularly weak at NAMING his tunes!). I agree, he was not the most technically dazzling trumpeter, but great feeling. If your friend is a trumpet player and you are really looking for something with amazing trumpet technique as well as excellent music, get a Freddie Hubbard CD from that era or a little later instead. Something like 'Ugetsu' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers shows Hubbard to great advantage. His solo on the title track of that album turned me onto him for a lifetime. His work on "Aries" on 'The Body and the Soul' is also incredible.

This was one of the first Blue Note LPs I purchased as a teenager and I immediately fell in love with the catchy tunes and soulful stylings. Jackie Mc blends in quite nicely against Byrd on this one.

I too would have to praise it as my fav Byrd Blue note issue. While it may not be ground breaking it's hard not to dig it. Easily digestable funky hard bop. And there is certainly nothing wrong with that in my book.

Hard to believe almost anyone wouldn't love this album. Just don't try to read anything into it. Listen and enjoy it for what it is.............. :tup

Don

Something like 'Ugetsu' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers shows Hubbard to great advantage.

Ugestsu is a favorite and I know he has a well worn copy of that one already. What drew my to this DByrd session is that he recorded it on pocket trumpet. My friend has several horns, but the one he likes the most happens to be a pocket trumpet.

Sounds like a good round of endorsements and a safe bet.

Thanks!

see troy, people who really think they are mr. joe cool when it comes to jazz, they turn their nose down on Byrd, and are overely critical of his fine jazz accomplishments. Trust this Mr. Nessa fellow and myself on this one...

I went to Borders at lunch with a 30% off coupon and a gleam in my eye and someone had bought the copy that was there the last time I was in. Come to think of it, Peter Johnson works in that building. <_<

Damn, I hate the prospect of paying retail for anything. I'm going to be in Chicago next week and have blocked off 2 hours for browsing the Jazz Record Mart. I'll look for a copy on CD for my friend and one on vinyl for me.

Thanks for the endorsements.

Troy

Edited by TroyK

i keep hearing about this JAZZ RECORD MART: is it like ameoba records in san francisco, but just for jazz? is that perception off? whats this place like?

Let me respond to that next week. I haven't been there in years and they've moved locations, but last time I was there is was this giant room full of great finds if you were willing to put the time in spelunking. They've moved and it's possible they've changed or that my memory is overglorifing it.

I'll respond when I get back.