Kenny Drew on Verve

spinlps

I'm trying to round out my Kenny Drew but have had a helluva time finding some of his Verve output.

In particular, I'd like to know if the Ideation of Kenny Drew or Kenny Drew and His Progressive Piano has been reissued domestically (USA) on CD. I've seen Japanese reissues but have been reluctant to pay the high dollar for them... or for the vinyl.

Verve has them listed as Vault items which are now exclusively available on iTunes. I'm assuming that precludes any future reissues :( I'll DL if I have to, but prefer to have something more tangible.

Thanks!

I'm trying to round out my Kenny Drew but have had a helluva time finding some of his Verve output.

In particular, I'd like to know if the Ideation of Kenny Drew or Kenny Drew and His Progressive Piano has been reissued domestically (USA) on CD. I've seen Japanese reissues but have been reluctant to pay the high dollar for them... or for the vinyl.

Verve has them listed as Vault items which are now exclusively available on iTunes. I'm assuming that precludes any future reissues :( I'll DL if I have to, but prefer to have something more tangible.

Thanks!

I have a 45 RPM vinyl EP with Beautiful Lady on one side & I'll Remember April on the other side.

Drew, Eugene & Charles Wright

Yellow label EP N-22

I don't have a turn table so haven't heard it in years.

PM me if you have any interest.

I have a Japanese pressing (Polydor KI 7605) of Verve LP MV 2556 The Modernity of Kenny Drew.

Tracks are:

Side A:

Bluesville

Angie

I can make you love me (if you'll let me)

My beautiful Lady

Many miles away

52nd St. Theme

Side B:

I'll remember April

Four and five

Polka dots and moonbeams

Lo Flame

Chartreuse

Kenny's Blues

Sidemen are Eugene Wright on bass and Charles "Specs" Wright on drums.

It's a good album, I like it as much as the Blue Note trio 10" LP.

Edited by mikeweil

Thanks for the info Mike.

That's the identical track listing as KD and His Progressive Piano. I wonder which is the original?

iTunes lists Eugene Wright on Bass and either Charles Wright or Lawrence Marble on Drums.

Actually, now that I study both releases on iTunes, six of the tracks overlap with Ideation... no personnel listing though :-( .

Anyone know if the Progressive Piano & Modernity are essentially the same release? And if the overlapping tracks are identical recordings?

I have a Japanese pressing (Polydor KI 7605) of Verve LP MV 2556 The Modernity of Kenny Drew.

Tracks are:

Side A:

Bluesville

Angie

I can make you love me (if you'll let me)

My beautiful Lady

Many miles away

52nd St. Theme

Side B:

I'll remember April

Four and five

Polka dots and moonbeams

Lo Flame

Chartreuse

Kenny's Blues

Sidemen are Eugene Wright on bass and Charles "Specs" Wright on drums.

It's a good album, I like it as much as the Blue Note trio 10" LP.

I noticed that there wasn't even a download button for the 10", just the LP which includes all of the 10" tracks. That may have changed, but was the case a few weeks back.

Actually, now that I study both releases on iTunes, six of the tracks overlap with Ideation... no personnel listing though :-( .

Anyone know if the Progressive Piano & Modernity are essentially the same release? And if the overlapping tracks are identical recordings?

Anyone know if the Progressive Piano & Modernity are essentially the same release?

Yes. Progressive Piano (Norgran 1022), a 12" LP circa 1954, was reissued in 1956 as The Modernity of Kenny Drew (Norgran 1066), and later on Verve (8156), in 1957.

Ideation (Norgran 29) was a 10" LP (1954).