What the heck is this?

Dan Gould

With a Crown record the title might be deliberately misleading. I bet it's separate tracks bu each artitst - not RC and Spoon together.

I have a Spoon lp on Crown and I bet the RC tracks are originally from the Swingtime catalogue.

Exactly what I fear.

I do have track titles but no additional info:

Walkin and Talkin

I'm Wondering and Wondering

Done Found Out

Sweet Lovin Baby

Evil Woman

I Found My Baby There

Good MOney Blues

Having a Ball

Better Luck Next Time

That's Why I'm Feeling Blue

Yeah.. that's the score.

The Spoon Crown lp has:

I Done Found Out

Sweet Lovin' Baby

Fickle Woman

On RC Swingtime:

Let's Have A Ball

I'm Wondering And Wondering

Yeah - those are the tracks where the titles are the same or close. The rest are probable from the same sets, but retitled.

The Spoon lp is the more obscure, but it available on some cd that came out a couple of years ago. The RC stuff was on so many $1.98 lps with so many titles it would make your head spin. I doubt anyone has an accurrate count of how often that stuff was issued on bargain bin lps in the 60s.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it isn't false advertisement. If I buy a record that claims Charles Meets 'Spoon, yet they don't actually "meet" in the context of playing together, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

The disc I have says Ellington on the spine, yet he's nowhere to be found in the liner notes. I'm too irritated to enjoy it.

Right..... but Forewarned is forearmed. Knowing the vicissitudes of these "budget" labels, and willingness to "take a shot" for some small change made it a lot fun to go through the bargain bins and drugstore racks and come up with something you could take a shot on.

Now paying a lot for these things changes the whole picture. Then it's a rip-off from the jump.

Is the Spoon stuff the live thing w/Sonny Criss from the late 40s/early 50s? Seems like that's the de facto Crown Spoon material.

Is that the live "Ain't Nobody's Busines" with the hip alto ? I didn't know it was Sonny Criss. There's no credits on the lp.

Some of the lp is live, some studio dates. It's good Spoon and the first I ever bought.

IIRC Crown almost always reissued material from other labels in the weirdest combinations, retitled more often than not, and the sound quality is worse than other issues. I experienced that with some Tjader tracks on Crown LPs. The other stuf was weird retitlings, too. These were sold cheap, AFAIK.

The Ray Charles material is best on the Ebony box available from Fresh Sound - this material was re-compiled, re-edited etc. ad nauseam. Don't know about the Witherspoon.

Actually the best sounding versions of the Charles material I have heard is on the Nighttrain label (legitimate owners of the material, really careful remastering). I sold my Fresh Sounds box when I heard that!

Where can I get that? Any links?

Well, here is the AMG entry, but how's the liner notes (those in the Ebony box were exhaustive) and where can I get this?

Edited by mikeweil

• 1 year later...

Actually the best sounding versions of the Charles material I have heard is on the Nighttrain label (legitimate owners of the material, really careful remastering). I sold my Fresh Sounds box when I heard that!

Thanks Lon - I've been wondering about replacing all my old Ray Swingtime/Downbeat LPs.

MG

IIRC Crown almost always reissued material from other labels in the weirdest combinations, retitled more often than not, and the sound quality is worse than other issues...

I believe there were some original recordings done for Crown, some of which are very good. These include Milk Raskin's "Kapu" and the Latin Jazz All Star's "Jazz Heat Bongo Beat," a true beatnik/bongo classic.

But, yes, any album on Crown by a name artist is dodgy.

How about the two SMOKING Coleman Hawkins albums on Crown? They are not reissues, but original sessions.

I will defer to your expertise on that one. There are other cases, though, where they would issue an album such as:

"CHARLIE PARKER!

...and Shep's Banjo Boys."

It would include 2 Charlie Parker tunes recorded as demos 10 years earlier. And 8 tunes by Shep's Banjo Boys.

BTW, for all you Charlie Parker completists, this a FICTIONAL EXAMPLE.