Ken Nordine - Complete Dot Word Jazz (inc. unissued material)

JSngry

Very cool. I will have to put this on my Christmas list. :)

When I was living in Chicago, I taught some sax lessons at a high school where Ken Nordine's grandson was a student. The school was doing a jazz concert and I was a guest performer, and they got Ken to do a radio commercial for the concert. So somewhere I have a cassette of a radio promo with Ken Nordine actually saying my name!!!

Oh MAN!

Many thanks for pointing this out!!!

...and extra tracks too!

My records are so worn.

My mom and Nordine were friends,

so he was an occasional visitor to our home.

He was major inspiration for my getting into

broadcasting in the 70's.

It's nice to see that he was

fully involved in this release and that

something complete - well, the Dot recordings anyway -

is released during his lifetime.

It's ordered!

Thanks again Jim!

:tup

Cool news, Jim! A board member sent me a used copy of WORD JAZZ V. 1 a year ago or so... that's all I have, and I've wanted more ever since. I've already programmed a coupla tracks for the New Year's Eve Night Lights program. Thanks for the tip. Isn't WBEZ in Chicago still running the program?

Edited by ghost of miles

Please help a recovering Vinylholic. I have on hand Word Jazz, and Son of Word Jazz. How much am I missing? I also have Concert In The Sky on Decca, and the CD of "Colors" which does not indicate what label this was originally issued under. Was "Colors" another title on Dot? Besides the 2 Dot LPs I already have, exactly how much more is on this tempting new reissue?

Zeno

OK, answering my own question: it looks like I do not have about 28 tracks! since "Colors" is not part of the package, guess I will order this new reissue.....

Edited by Zeno

Colors was originally on Phiilips, as was Twink (now retitled something else for, I guess, PC reasons). I used to have both LPs, having found them while on a family vacation in 1972 or so. We stopped for lunch at a "neighborhood joint" somewhere in Arkansas (my dad was adamant about leaving the Interstates for eating purposes), and there was a mom-and-pop hole in the wall next door. I persuaded the old man to give me 15 minutes before we got back on the road, and that was long enough to score those two sides.

Gave them away ca. 1979 to a friend (who's no longer a friend) as a "thank you" gesture. Twink I don't miss so much, but Colors I do. Need to buy that expanded CD version...

This set, however, contains all four Dot albums in their entirety, one cut that was only issued on the Blue Thumb 2-LP anthology How Are Things In Your Town?, as well as a few things from the Dot years that have never been issued in any form. So even if you already had everything, now you don't!

My first exposure to Nordine was on a Dot LP called The Classic Collection, which was some sort of mini-series of LP releases that Dot did in the late-60s. Found it in a cutout bin ca. 1971, shortly after I had gotten into jazz, and bought it just because it looked like it might be interesting. Needless to say, it was...

Not often do you get hit over the head by something that you're just totally unprepared for. Dancing In Your Head was like that, and that first Ken Nordine album was too. At least with Ornette, I knew who he was, and the surprise/shock was that of the direction, not of the content. Nordine? Completely sandbagged me. Side One began with "My Baby" and ended with "What Time Is It?". In between were "Down The Drain", "You're Getting Better", "Outer Space", & "Miss Cone", approximately 18 minutes of mind-blowing wordplay and imagery coupled with musical backing that ran the gamut form ersatz (or not?!?) "cool jazz" to pretty hip/out Third Stream type stuff. Wasn't ready for any of it, really, but became an instant fan, and have remained one since.

Can somebody confirm my guess that "Forrest Horn" on the first album is really Chico Hamilton?

Can somebody confirm my guess that "Forrest Horn" on the first album is really Chico Hamilton?

I can't confirm it, but it makes sense, as the rest of the band is Fred Katz, Paul Horn, John Pisano (listed as "Asano"), & Jimmy Bond. And, of course, Chico's given name is Foreststorn Hamilton.

Edited by Stereojack

In the late 50s they were playing Nordine on AM radio in Los Angeles. How hip was that.

Zeno

Really, really, really hard for me to answer that one. Did Tab listen? How 'bout Rock and Troy and....

They were all wearing black berets thinking they were beatniks.....Hollywood style. Then along came Ricky Nelson.....and the Mambo era was suddenly over....

Zeno

I can't confirm it, but it makes sense, as the rest of the band is Fred Katz, Paul Horn, John Pisano (listed as "Asano"), & Jimmy Bond. And, of course, Chico's given name is Foreststorn Hamilton.

That's my thinking as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My order came several days ago. It contains two Disc#2 and NO Disc#1. How dissappointing!

The company does not acknowledge emails I have been sending. They have no phone number. I got the key chain though. I am now suspicious of this operation. Bad business in my opinion. Hip-O Select, right.......

I am beginning to think they suck.

Zeno

PS. This product, imo, is overpriced and not really the greatest presentation in terms of documentation and accompanying booklet etc. By the time you pay for shipping and everything it is $50 for a couple of CDs and not much else.

Edited by Zeno