the voice of jazz

I'm a jazz vocalist. Have met and admired many many others. I am however beginnig to worry that the voice of jazz has been limited and boxed to what listiners and even jazz artists expect expect to hear. What do u think? I stand to b corrected. :blush:

Are you talking about vocal jazz or jazz in general being boxed in? For the latter, I agree to an extent. Jazz radio seems to play it very safe (for the most part) and a lot of listeners would rather shell out $15 for the latest re-issue than for a new release.

But these are generalities. One can dwell on it, or one can seek out his/her original voice and follow that as best as possible. All music I believe, if played with conviction and authority, will appeal to an audience.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you talking about vocal jazz or jazz in general being boxed in? For the latter, I agree to an extent. Jazz radio seems to play it very safe (for the most part) and a lot of listeners would rather shell out $15 for the latest re-issue than for a new release.

But these are generalities. One can dwell on it, or one can seek out his/her original voice and follow that as best as possible. All music I believe, if played with conviction and authority, will appeal to an audience.

Said Winston Churchill, "Never never never give in."

I'm not exactly sure what you are indicating - I will say, however, per vocal jazz, that it is in a great rut - same old tunes, same old techniques, bad scat singing, overdone melisma - and Norah Jones and whats-her-name are not the answer (can't think of that other really bad famous jazz singer now, has dark hair and makes funny faces) - singers need a musical makeover - IMHO -

Edited by AllenLowe

I'm becoming more and more interested in this topic, as I'm about to take over a two-hour program that focuses on jazz ballads and American popular song. While I intend to play lots of Frank, Ella, etc. (and relish the idea of doing so), I also want to begin incorporating modern singers into the mix. I have to confess that I like Norah Jones, as well as Madeleine Peyroux and Petra Haden--singers who don't deny the influence of the pop & rock they grew up with. I also know that there are probably better, more obscure singers out there of whom I'm not yet aware... looking forward to doing a lot more listening in this area. I just want to hear somebody who sounds genuine.

All music I believe, if played with conviction and authority, will appeal to an audience.

Yes! That's what I was getting at with my remark about seeking music that sounds genuine. I think people are desperate to hear that--problem is that whenever somebody comes along who has that spark of originality, the industry immediately signs & records a hundred imitators. -_-

I just think it would be nice to hear a singer as creative and inventive as some of the better instrumentalists - I'm sure there are more than a few out there, I just rarely get to hear them. There certainly is room for a classic approach, and I like Madeline Peyroux very much. But most singers I hear seem to be merely re-treads, same songs, same phrases, same little melodic extrapolations - and I AM considering asking my congressman to introduce legislation outlawing scat singing - it's up there with terrorism and unemployment as the main issue I worry about these days -

For quite a while now, I've been getting bored with mainstream jazz. Not the musicians' fault. They're as good or better than ever. It's the lack or new songs. Anybody agree?

Do you suppose there are poor songwriters out there, frustrated Mercers, Porters, berlins, Rodgers and Harts etc. working as accountants and worse, cursing their fate that they were born too late? :huh:

I think it's a douible edged sword in a way. . . the repretoire and the manners of the traditional jazz singer may be getting tired, but there's a sense among some of the market that "this is what jazz vocals are." And yet there are those who do other repretoire like Norah and Madeline and Cassandra.. . and they get lumped into jazz vocal status. ..that sometimes I think they aren't necessarily.

Or maybe I've had one too many chocolate squares and I don't know what I'm trying to say.

I miss Carmen McRae and Betty Carter. Talk about authority!

• 1 year later...

I'm a jazz vocalist. Have met and admired many many others. I am however beginnig to worry that the voice of jazz has been limited and boxed to what listiners and even jazz artists expect expect to hear. What do u think? I stand to b corrected. :blush:

who is this mystery person! it says 0 posts and yet there are 2 in this thread!

:ph34r: