First Saxophonist to make a go of it without piano

Hardbopjazz

Way, way, way, back - during my very first "Intro to Jazz 101" class in college (long before I'd ever "drank the Kool-Aid" ;) ) - I vaguely remember there was a cut played in class that was just sax, bass and drums (or maybe even just two of those three instruments). A live recording where the piano-player was late to the date, and the group had to go on without him. It was presented in the class like it was a "holy-grail"-type moment in jazz history (no idea if this was true or not).

No idea also, who might have been on the recording (I could mention some random names from the 40's, but they'd all be wild guesses). Maybe something on the old 5-LP Smithsonian Guide To Jazz set?? -- which was like the bible (as far as this Jazz 101 class went).

Time to try and find the track-listing and personnel for the Smithsonian Guide on-line, and see what I can find that fits the description.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Way, way, way, back - during my very first "Intro to Jazz 101" class in college (long before I'd ever "drank the Kool-Aid" ;) ) - I vaguely remember there was a cut played in class that was just sax, bass and drums (or maybe even just two of those three instruments).  A live recording where the piano-player was late to the date, and the group had to go on without him.  It was presented in the class like it was a "holy-grail"-type moment in jazz history (no idea if this was true or not).

No idea also, who might have been on the recording (I could mention some random names from the 40's, but they'd all be wild guesses).  Maybe something on the old 5-LP Smithsonian Guide To Jazz set?? -- which was like the bible (as far as this Jazz 101 class went).

Time to try and find the track-listing and personnel for the Smithsonian Guide on-line, and see what I can find that fits the description.

I think that might be the two Don Byas/Slam Stewart tracks from Town Hall. I think it was Teddy Wilson who'd yet to show up, so they did "Indiana" and "I Got Rhythm" as a duet. Then Wilson came in and they did "Candy."

Is there a recommended place to pick up those two Byas sides? I heard Rhythm... on the radion a couple of months ago and was blown away...

BTW, this is an interesting question - I was wondering about it only this morning, by coicidence!

In the late 80s, a company called Pair Records released a series of Commodore titles on vinyl and CD. They usually paired (hence the name?) a couple performers on one disc. The sound on these was nothing remarkable, but certainly more than adequate. The disc with the Byas tracks is on a CD called: Giants of the Tenor Sax: Ben Webster/Don Byas. This has 5 tracks of Ben Webster in a 1944 quartet with Sid Catlett, the three Byas sides, and three more cuts of a Hot Lips Page small group that includes Don Byas.

Another series to try would be the Classics series from France, which probably has a disc of Byas' 1944-45 recordings.