Destination out RVG vs Conn.

MichL

Hi.

Has anyone compared the RVG of Distination Out to the Conn. edition?

I posted this question several months back, but the question wasn't directly answered.  I would appreciate some opinions on the masterings of these editions. 

Thank you in advance.

Michael

I only have the Grachan Moncur III Mosaic Select version, so I'm no help :)

Edit: Bad fingers today

Edited by sjarrell

The Mosaic version sounds worst of those three remasterings, Ron McMaster seems to have used noise reduction.

Of the two single disc versions, I prefer the RVG, which sounds more dynamic and detailed, but without the overemphasized treble of other RVG remasterings.

The Mosaic sounds crappy. My favorite is the Japanese "Blue Note Works" CD reissue, Toshiba TOCJ-4165.

The Mosaic version sounds worst of those three remasterings, Ron McMaster seems to have used noise reduction.

Of the two single disc versions, I prefer the RVG, which sounds more dynamic and detailed, but without the overemphasized treble of other RVG remasterings.

It made sound like No Noise was used, but it wasn't. I asked Ron McMaster about this back when we debated last January.

Ron told me, "The version that you hear on the Mosaic Select is from the original RVG master tapes. The track (as well as all the others on this release) are just ever so slightly eq'd so as to sound as they did when they were originally recorded. They contain no NoNoise processing of any kind. This is the closest to the original as you can get".

Quite honestly, I don't think the Mosaic Select sounds bad at all, but then again, everyone's system is different so we are comparing apples to oranges.

I should pick up this RVG to hear it. Rudy seems to do a nice job with Hutcherson's vibes.

Kevin

If I remember correctly, Ron McMaster uses a Sonic Solutions tool for mastering. I've read one engineer refusing to use it, saying that the music sounds dead once it passed through that. Maybe that explains the sound of the Moncur Select, as well as other recent McMaster CDs (the 2004 Chet Baker Pacific Jazz reissues).

Edited by Claude

If I remember correctly, Ron McMaster uses a Sonic Solutions tool for mastering. I've read one engineer refusing to use it, saying that the music sounds dead once it passed through that. Maybe that explains the sound of the Moncur Select, as well as other recent McMaster CDs (the 2004 Chet Baker Pacific Jazz reissues).

I agree, to my ears the sound on recent McMaster CDs isn't good.

Right, I've read an interview with the engineer of the XRCD series from JVC who said he would not let a signal go near a Sonic Solutions deck---he said it immediately took on a "digital" character he was trying at all costs to avoid.

I think there may be something to this. . . . I prefer the sound of the RVG (I haven't heard the Mosaic Select version).

Right, I've read an interview with the engineer of the XRCD series from JVC who said he would not let a signal go near a Sonic Solutions deck---he said it immediately took on a "digital" character he was trying at all costs to avoid.

I think there may be something to this. . . .  I prefer the sound of the RVG (I haven't heard the Mosaic Select version).

I wonder what RVG is using for his remasters.

I heard back from Ron McMaster that he has not used Sonic Solutions for nearly three years which would put the Grachan Moncur set (issued in 2003) right near or at the point he changed over to a Pyramix Mastering System. He mentioned a lot of other stuff but I didn't get his OK to post it all. One thing he did mention that I don't think he'd mind repeated is that when he remasters a tape he likes "staying all analog except for the very last part and that is the analog load into the computer with all of the eq settings etc. done in analog."

So what I think Ron is saying is that he queues up the master on the machine and plays it back to adjust the sound he wants off the analog tape. After he tweaks it to make it sound right, he digitizes it using the Pyramix Mastering System. He doesn't futz with the sound in digital.

Kevin

Thanks for your input, Kevin. I'm only trying to find technical explanations to what I hear.

On the Moncur Select it is obvious to me that something must have been done to the sound, as it is very unnatural. There is no hiss, and some musical information like the horn's or cymbals' overtones are missing. The "Bout' Soul" tracks have occasional distortion which is not present on the previous Connoisseur remastering he did. That's why my first thought was that NoNoise was used. I've observed the same sound signature on the latest Chet Baker remasters. It's not that the remastering has just a different tonal balance, which on the side of the listener is often a question of personal preference or system synergy. There is something missing.

I can understand that for many people those latest remasters sound good enough, but I don't think anyone would prefer them to the previous versions.