Sing, Sing, Sing

Bright Moments

i know few will disagree with me (HAH!! :P ) that Sing, Sing, Sing is the greatest big band tune ever written! :excited:

the question i have is who did the "definitive" version and is it available?

:)

Although he didn't write it or originate it, the tune is closely associated with Benny Goodman, who had the first hit recording of it in 1937. Perhaps the most definitive version, however is Goodman's live version from Carnegie Hall in 1938.

Although he didn't write it or originate it, the tune is closely associated with Benny Goodman, who had the first hit recording of it in 1937. Perhaps the most definitive version, however is Goodman's live version from Carnegie Hall in 1938.

I think Goodman's version was the first one to interpolate :blink: "Christopher Columbus" (written by Chu Berry?)

Surprising piano solo by Jess Stacy with Goodman at the Carnegie Hall... the studio version was released along two sides of a record, no?

BTW, could anyone recommend a good alternative to the "Birth of Swing" 3-CD set from 1991 (RCA 61038-2)? The idea was great but somewhere I read that it sounds like it's been remastered under water, not far off-mark IMHO.

F

PS For blasting brass big bands tunes, although Goodman had Harry James, Ziggy Elman and Chris Griffin, I have a soft spot for Woody Herman's First Herd: The Good Earth, for instance.

Edited by Fer Urbina

I think Goodman's version was the first one to interpolate  :blink: "Christopher Columbus" (written by Chu Berry?)

Surprising piano solo by Jess Stacy with Goodman at the Carnegie Hall... the studio version was released along two sides of a record, no?

Goodman's version (arranged by Jimmy Mundy, I believe) is the first to include "Christopher Columbus", which was written by Chu Berry & Andy Razaf. The Victor studio version was issued on two sides of a 12" 78.

Edited by Stereojack

I think Louis Prima wrote it!! Anybody heard his version?

Goodman's SSS was certainly advanced for his genre, but unremarkable in the grand scheme of things. For me, the whole thing is ruined by Krupa. His playing, IMHO, is amaturish. I remember seeing a video where there was a 'battle of the bands' between Goodman and Chick Webb. Webb was a far better drummer.

i know few will disagree with me (HAH!! :P ) that Sing, Sing, Sing is the greatest big band tune ever written! :excited:

the question i have is who did the "definitive" version and is it available?

:)

can't find ANY decent recording of the 1938 Carnagie Hall Concert and i pulled out my Prima mosaic which has a quite unremarkable "original" version.

who has done a REALLY memorable version of Sing, Sing, Sing?!! :excl:

Well, I personally don't find Krupa to be "amateurish"--he's playing to the crowd's love of flash, and he's generating a lot of excitement. I like Krupa, I like Webb, they're different players with different approaches and styles.

The passage where it's mainly Goodman and Krupa playing. . . was that a first in a swing jazz performance? Sure it's not Trane and Elvin but it's different for the time.