Venus Records Recommendations

Ron S

There are several older threads relating to Venus Records, but none of them seemed liked a good repository for recommendations of or questions about specific titles. So, here's a new, custom-made Venus thread. :rolleyes:

And here's the first inquiry: has anybody out there heard either the Richie Cole "West Side Story" or the Russell Malone, and if so, what's your opinion?

I'd be more willing to do that if these Japanese imports weren't so damn expensive (and I could find some online samples of these particular discs). :ph34r: Actually, I'll probably go for the Malone the next time I order from Cadence--I like everything else I have of his, and being on Venus it's probably pretty good. I'm not that familiar with Richie Cole, but the West Side Story tunes intrigued me. Anyone have any opinions of Cole in general?

Edited by Ron S

has anybody out there heard either the Richie Cole "West Side Story" or the Russell Malone, and if so, what's your opinion?

I'm not sure which Russell Malone you may have in mind (if Venus has more than one of his titles) but I have his Wholly Cats from Venus, and I consider it one of his best discs. A real lively straight-ahead date, lots of drive.

has anybody out there heard either the Richie Cole "West Side Story" or the Russell Malone, and if so, what's your opinion?

I'm not sure which Russell Malone you may have in mind (if Venus has more than one of his titles) but I have his Wholly Cats from Venus, and I consider it one of his best discs. A real lively straight-ahead date, lots of drive.

Yep, that's his one and only Venus. I was strongly leaning towards ordering it, and that clinches it. As I said above, the Venus discs are somewhat expensive, and I'm hesitant to order one without either hearing some samples or seeing some sort of review or feedback like yours. Thanks! :tup

Thanks Peter.  Now I just have to figure out which other Venus's to get this time to fill out my Cadence order. :wacko:

I really like Archie Shepp's Venus releases. 'True Ballads' is a gem. Also, if you are a fan of piano trios, you can't go wrong with any of the Eddie Higgins discs. He is pretty big in Japan.

Venus seems to have specialized in Piano Trios more than anything else.

I'll list some of my favorites on Venus:

Super Trio - Super Standard (Kenny Barron,Jay Leonhart,Al Foster)

Bill Charlap Trio - "S Wonderful

New York Trio - Love You Madly (Bill Charlap, Jay Leonhart,Bill Stewart)

Stanley Cowell Trio - Dancers In Love

Roland Hanna Trio - Milano,Paris,New York finding John Lewis

David Hazeltine Trio - Alice In Wonderland

John Hicks Trio - Cry Me A River

Eddie Higgins Trio - Again

Steve Kuhn Trio - Sing Me Softly Of The Blues

Charles McPherson featuring Steve Kuhn - But Beautiful

There are a number of others I like too, but this list above is a good place to start.

Thanks, guys. I've already received or ordered several of those recommended here--as well as some others--but I'm sure I'll be picking up a lot more Venuses in the near future. Although the best prices are definitely at Cadence--especially with the $1 subscriber's discount--it looks like ejazzlines.com has the most comprehensive information on Venuses, including complete track listings for all they stock and sound samples for a lot of them. Of course, there's always the Venus site itself, but it isn't very complete and isn't the easiest to navigate if you don't read Japanese.

If anyone else feels like listing your favorite Venuses here, please do. My search before starting this thread turned up Venus recommendations spread throughout several threads and forums and, since there appear to be several members who are big fans of this label, I thought it made sense to have a thread devoted to discussion of Venus releases.

......haven't heard these older ('94) Lonnie Smith Trio does Hendrix ones either.  Anyone?     Abercrombie's on both.

PurpleHaze.jpg

Purple Haze  TKCV-79055

FoxyLady.gif

Foxy Lady     TKCV-79053

"Purple Haze" was also released domestically by MusicMasters. I have that version, but haven't listened to it in a few years. If I remember correctly, it was good, but not outstanding.

Edited by alankin

• 2 months later...