Complete Felsted Jazz Recordings Box

Ron S

Not odd at all not to include the Connection LP. 1) It's from the 60's, 2) it's modern jazz and not mainstream/swing 3) masters are owned by a different person/company. To let you all sleep tight tonight MC told me it is going to be a reissue on Blue Note or Mosaic when they have secured the rights to do so.

Edited by Bluerein

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not odd at all not to include the Connection LP. 1) It's from the 60's, 2) it's modern jazz and not mainstream/swing 3) masters are owned by a different person/company. To let you all sleep tight tonight MC told me it is going to be a reissue on Blue Note or Capitol when they have secured the rights to do so.

Well, that's cool, and I'm not losing sleep over it or anything... just that reasons 1 & 2 are irrelevant, given the title of the box (unless Mosaic is deciding to dilute the meaning of "Complete" further). Reason 3 is obviously a problem.

I'm not upset, just surprised, given how much Mosaic puts into its branding. Maybe they're planning on calling it "Complete 1957-59" or something. But in any case, I assure you I'll be sleeping well! ^_^

I think with Mosaic there's generally a connection (pardon the pun) between the semantic and the real world. Is THE CONNECTION as done by Messrs. McGhee, Brooks, etc. somehow not "jazz"? I understand that in the past Mosaic has put out sets called "Complete" that have left off certain tracks because they contained nothing of "jazz value." (I'm thinking of some of the early-jazz sets here, I believe.) But to call something "The Complete Jazz Recordings" of a label and then dump out the McGhee/Brooks on stylistic grounds seems a different matter... why don't they just go the route they did with the Columbia box and call it "The Complete Felsted Small-Group Swing Sessions?"

No doubt I'll be flamed for making something of this.. just that I find it surprising, given how careful Mosaic has been in the past about its use of the word "Complete." I remember folks getting huffy because they left that one track off the Jacquet box at Illinois' insistence... Again, I understand that legal issues probably made inclusion of this album impossible. But I still think they should refine the title of the box. I'll refrain from starting online "We demand..." petitions, however. :g

Not odd at all not to include the Connection LP. 1) It's from the 60's, 2) it's modern jazz and not mainstream/swing 3) masters are owned by a different person/company. To let you all sleep tight tonight MC told me it is going to be a reissue on Blue Note or Mosaic when they have secured the rights to do so.

If they were going to release it as a Mosaic, what additional material would they add? It's hard to see them doing anything less than three cds nowadays.

• 1 month later...

What do you suggest David? That my information isn't correct or that Mosaic shouldn't post this until it's a finished deal. Just curious.

This is also listed on the future releases page so it's not so strange at all:

Each of our sets is a time-consuming affair to assemble from securing rights to tape research to studio mastering to the photographic, historical and discographical research for our booklets. Each step is fraught with surprises and therefore it is possible that the Future Projects may not see the light of day.

Edited by Bluerein

Bummer about the masters I was looking forward to this set as a way of presenting multiple artists under the umbrella of a single label.

Reinier or anyone who might have some insight - does this mean that the set is dead completely or might they go into "leave no stone unturned" mode and conduct a more exhaustive search of whereever it is that the masters are stored. I was just thinking about how the Stitt masters were discovered and wondering if lightning might not strike again.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Sad news.......Universal can't find the masters (neither in the US nor the UK) so this set is a no go.

Well .... have they searched in Japan? As I mentioned above, I remember there were some Japanese CD reissues, so maybe .....

FWIW, here's the listing and commentary from the Felsted Discography page:

2000/7000 Series

2000 was stereo, 7000 was mono. Only nine titles were issued. Affinity reissued all nine and Master Jazz reissued at least seven. Limelight may also have reissued some.

Felsted - Affinity - MasterJazz - Artist - Title

7001 - 165 - 8123 - Rex Stewart - Rendezvous With Rex

7002 - 167 - Earl Hines/Cozy Cole - Earl's Backroom And Cozy's Caravan

7003 - 170 - 8125 - Buster Bailey - All About Memphis

7004 - 171 - Buddy Tate - Swinging Like...Tate!

7005 - 163 - 8115 - Coleman Hawkins - The High And Mighty Hawk

7006 - 164 - 8127 - Dicky Wells - Bones For The King

7007 - 169 - 8119 - Budd Johnson - Blues A La Mode

7008 - 166 - 8116 - Billy Strayhorn - Cue For Saxophone

7009 - 168 - 8118 - Dicky Wells - Trombone Four-In-Hand

This doesn't even mention the Japanese issues.

I'm spinning the Japanese Polydor P33L 20043 CD issue of the Strayhorn right now - sound is okay, although the volume level is somewhat low. There must be some tapes - check Universal Japan, Affinity, Master Jazz (Mosaic did a Master Jazz box set so they should know where to ask). If that doesn't lead anywhere, I'd loan my CD copy any time - for a copy of the box set, that is .... :g

Mike: that's exactly what I've mailed MC as well (I have a 1999 reissue of the Hawkins LP from Japan). I'm sure he'll look into this as well. Anybody who owns the 80's CD's of these LP's who can confirm the tape or dubbed from the LP's question?

I have the Hawkins CD, and it does not sound like it's dubbed from an LP. Maybe only some of the original tapes are missing. I've got original stereo vinyl of most of the albums in this series, and the Affinity reissues I've heard are inferior, and are mono. Perhaps they are dubbed from secondary sources.

Bluerein,

Hey, lighten up. I'm not impugning your information or your credibility at all. What I'm saying is that this is very "un-Mosaic- like". And, no, I don't believe they should post information about upcoming sets until and unless those sets are locked and loaded. This is the first time I can ever recall anything like this happening.

Up over and out.