Whatever happened to Carter Jefferson??

Rooster_Ties

jeffer_cart_riseofatl_101b.jpg

I've almost pulled the trigger on this one a couple times, but either I chicken out - or it goes out of stock by the time I'm ready to buy (like happened this time).

How is it??

FWIW, here's the Dusty 'review'...

Carter Jefferson  -- Rise Of Atlantis . . . CD . . . $14.99  List Price: $16.98 

Timeless (Netherlands), 1979 Condition: New Copy

Temporarily Out Of Stock: Hit the 'Send Request' button to receive an email notice if the item comes back in.

A bold statement by one of the best underground jazz players of the 70s! Carter Jefferson cut his chops with Art Blakey in the years after Blakey had Billy Harper in the group, and as a loose way of describing him, Jefferson has a very spiritual post-Coltrane sensibility that closely resembles Harper's playing at times. Carter's recorded here in two different groups -- one with Terumasa Hino on trumpet, and one with Shunzo Ono on trumpet -- and the session has a nice spiritual edge, and lots of good original compositions. Tracks include "Why", "Rise Of Atlantis", "Blues For Wood", and "Changing Trains".

The AMG review is a bit more tepid...

Tenor saxophonist Carter Jefferson made somewhat of a name for himself when trumpeter Woody Shaw chose him as a member of his first working quintet. Shaw is the producer of this album, Jefferson's fine debut (and evidently only) recording as a leader. Taking a cue from Shaw, the saxophonist sticks essentially to a quintet of trumpet and sax backed by all-star rhythm sections. Three of the tracks include hard bop trumpeter Terumasa Hino while the other three feature little-known Japanese trumpeter Shunzo Ono. Most of the tunes are firmly in the school of hard bop, the sort of music that Woody Shaw played so well. While there is not any new ground broken, it is all performed competently enough. While not as emotionally charged as his work with Shaw, Jefferson impresses with a fluid, mobile attack that shows a solid grasp of his material. If the groups seem to be sometimes merely going through the motions, there are nonetheless enough fine moments to make this a worthwhile purchase.

I mostly just know Jefferson from all his work with Woody Shaw (and with Art Blakey in the early 70's, which was also with Woody Shaw). "...Atlantis" appears to be his only date as a leader. The AMG lists a bunch of sideman work, though I've not run across any of of it that I can think of -- HERE is the AMG list of his sideman dates (though you may need to be logged into the AMG to see it).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Carter died a tragic death on tour in Austria in the early 90s. His health problems were brought on by alcohol abuse. Previously, he had been badly beaten up by a mugger.

There was a benefit at the Austrian Embassy to bring his body home to D.C. - the Austrian govermnent wouldn't release it until his hospital bills were paid. Wynton M. was involved.

I saw him a few times in D.C. Just a few months before he died, he co-led a quintet at the One Step Down with Jack Walrath. They did a live recording session. I wish I knew where the tapes went. It was a great gig.

Bertrand.

Guest akanalog

as you are asking about japanese musicians and shunzoh ohno is mentioned here let me add that he has two albums from the 70s i really like-somethings coming, which has roy haynes and reggie lucas and cedric lawson on it, and bubbles-which has haynes and i don't know who else. bubbles is sort of cheesy but i really like it-synth heavy and it is cool to hear roy haynes in this kind of setting and it is sort of trippy and some songs segue into each other. but somethings coming is in a very miles place, though more straight ahead and there is even a cool duet between ohno and cedric lawson, sounding a lot like he did with miles on the dirty electric organ.

• 18 years later...

I think I have heard him on some Woody Shaw records before the time I really HEARD him (with his classic quintet with Steve Turré, Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus !). 
I think he sounds great. 
Once I had heard, that towards the end of their collaboration they had a big dispute, really a big clash that ended there collaboration.
Due to the fact, that both of them were alcoolics and drug addicts or so, it´s very possible that their hassle was for non musical causes....

I was astonished to hear that he would have died in Austria, but in that Article (I could not read it because there came a "Pay Pal Button", they write that he had died in Polonia ? 

12 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have heard him on some Woody Shaw records before the time I really HEARD him (with his classic quintet with Steve Turré, Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus !). 
I think he sounds great. 
Once I had heard, that towards the end of their collaboration they had a big dispute, really a big clash that ended there collaboration.
Due to the fact, that both of them were alcoolics and drug addicts or so, it´s very possible that their hassle was for non musical causes....

I was astonished to hear that he would have died in Austria, but in that Article (I could not read it because there came a "Pay Pal Button", they write that he had died in Polonia ? 

He died @ Krakow on Dezember 9th, 1993 ....

4 hours ago, bertrand said:

Poland, not Austria. 

That´s the right English name for that country.

I always have difficulties here with names of European countries since I use the latin language family based names for them: 
Polonia, Cehia, Germania, Olanda, Suedia, Finlanda, Danemarca, Lituania, Estonia, Spania, Italia, Franța, Grecia, Turcia..... and so on and so on....

I can´t say I would know them just right now in English 😀