Lou Rawls - Les McCann

Bright Moments

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, but parts of it leave me cold. Maybe it's Lou's insistence on pronouncing everything so well.

Anyway, this thread made me seek Stormy Monday out. Following a brief, profanity-laced temper tantrum I found it filed under Les McCann.

:g

I prefer the original artwork too.

• 2 months later...

There was quite a large obituary of Lou Rawls in yesterday's Raleigh News & Observer. Its headline referred to him as "R&B Crooner".

I had never thought of him as R&B, because I think of R&B as music aimed at high schoolers; i.e., Fats Domino and The Supremes. Even when he had hits on the radio in the 60s, I thought of Lou Rawls as aiming for an adult audience.

I haven't heard this album with Les McCann, but I remember it in the stores. I suppose it's a good example of what I mean.

I had never thought of him as R&B, because I think of R&B as music aimed at high schoolers; i.e., Fats Domino and The Supremes. Even when he had hits on the radio in the 60s, I thought of Lou Rawls as aiming for an adult audience.

Overall, I think the media coverage of Lou's death has been pretty revealing of how square the media really is.

It happens everytime somebody hip dies...and I guess it shows by negative example the true meaning of hip.

Lon, the obit in the other thread has him at 72, which would make his birth year 1933. That would make him 29 in 1962. It's not uncommon for entertainers to take two years off their age, and your ABC citation was probably based upon PR-sourced information.

Singer Lou Rawls Dies at 72

Email this Story

Jan 6, 10:57 AM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Grammy Award-winning singer Lou Rawls has died of lung cancer in Los Angeles. He was 72.

The velvet-voiced singer started as a church choir boy and went on to sell more than 40 million albums. He won three Grammy Awards in a career that spanned nearly five decades and a range of genres.

Rawls died this morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He was hospitalized last month.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060106/D8EV971O0.html

There was quite a large obituary of Lou Rawls in yesterday's Raleigh News & Observer. Its headline referred to him as "R&B Crooner".

R&B is a very broad musical category. It includes a lot of adult music. On the other hand, we already loved Lou Rawls when we were kids. His music is for all ages, and for the ages themselves. You'll never find...another voice like his.

R&B is a very broad musical category. It includes a lot of adult music. On the other hand, we already loved Lou Rawls when we were kids. His music is for all ages, and for the ages themselves. You'll never find...another voice like his.

Ray Charles always said that R&B was adult music, as distinct from Rock & Roll, or Soul, which he said were for kids. (I suspect he was thinking mor eof Motown than Aretha when he said that.) Anyway, I've always thought of Lou as a Soul Jazz singer. And Soul Jazz, according to Bob Porter, is definitely entertainment for black adults.

MG

My wife and I went to see Lou Rawls at a little jazz club in San Diego called Ward's Jazzville in 1964. Lou sang many songs from the "Stormy Monday" album. I owned the album and knew it by heart. That night on piano was someone that I didn't recognize. I knew it wasn't Les McCann, but McCann's parts were played perfectly. At the end of the set Lou introduced the band. When he announced that Johnny "Guitar" Watson was on piano, I just about fell out of my chair. I had been listening to Johnny "Guitar' Watson's blues records for many years. However, I didn't know he played piano or jazz. This was one of my most memorable nights.

My wife and I went to see Lou Rawls at a little jazz club in San Diego called Ward's Jazzville in 1964. Lou sang many songs from the "Stormy Monday" album. I owned the album and knew it by heart. That night on piano was someone that I didn't recognize. I knew it wasn't Les McCann, but McCann's parts were played perfectly. At the end of the set Lou introduced the band. When he announced that Johnny "Guitar" Watson was on piano, I just about fell out of my chair. I had been listening to Johnny "Guitar' Watson's blues records for many years. However, I didn't know he played piano or jazz. This was one of my most memorable nights.

thanks for sharing that mike and welcome to the board!!!

:)

Watson started his career as a pianist and did a whole album of jazz standards as a pianist for Cadet in the 1960's - I Cried For You (reissued under other titles) - be warned of his vocals! But his piano playing is pretty fine on that one, and his groove is great!

Edited by mikeweil