Brubeck on Columbia / Legacy CD reissues

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brubeck just had a broader view of rhythm than just "swinging" - actually he does a lot of things rhythmically, many more different rhythmic variations than most jazz musicians, because they think they don't swing. But then, most of Coltrane's phrases after 1965 do not swing either, and nobody complains.

Legacy Recordings has just announced the pending release of the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Last Time Out: December 26 1967. It chronicles the final concert by the "classic" Brubeck Quartet (Brubeck, alto saxophonist Paul Desmond, bassist Eugene Wright and drummer Joe Morello). This 15-song, two-CD set will appear November 11. It would be a significant historical release for that alone. What makes it even more significant is that the concert took place in a city with a distinctive jazz heritage acknowledged worldwide: here in Pittsburgh, at the Hilton, in front of a crowd of 1700. The tapes are not from Columbia Records; Brubeck paid to have the concert recorded, so it's from his private collection.

I wonder how the sound quality will be given Columbia didn't record it.

Someone also posted that this may be the tracklisting:

St. Louis Blues

Three To Get Ready

These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)

Cielito Lindo

La Paloma Azul (The Blue Dove)

Take The "A" Train

Someday My Prince Will Come

Swanee River

I'm In A Dancing Mood

You Go To My Head

Set My People Free

For Drummers Only

Take Five

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

amsterdam.jpg

I found a decent copy of Brubeck in Amsterdam today - recorded in 1962; released in 1969. Am I correct in thinking that it still hasn't been reissued on CD? It's pretty good - Desmond and the rhythm section play very well, and Brubeck is pretty well-behaved. He gets into the "Brubeck thing" during a long version of "Brandenburg Gate," but is otherwise restrained and relatively swinging.

The following Dave Brubeck Columbia LPs have not been released on CD by Sony. Hopefully the above-mentioned box set will include them.

1. At Storyville (has been re-issued by Fresh Sound Records)
2. Blues Roots with Gerry Mulligan
3. In Amsterdam
4. Jackpot
5. Last Time We Saw Paris
6. The Riddle (has been re-issued by Solar Records combined with Southern Scene)
7. Tonight Only! with Carmen McRae (has been re-issued by 101 Distribution)
8. Compadres with Gerry Mulligan