Brubeck on Columbia / Legacy CD reissues

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if there's any chance to see a Mosaic treatment for some of the Columbia quartet recordings? I'd prefer a big one (complete... something?) and wouldn't mind if some of the stuff were already reissued - even by Legacy. As long as it's a logical and complete set in some way or other.

What would you suggest?

I don't think there's any material left that would make for a

sensible big box set, but I would like such a Mosaic Select:

Bossa Nova USA

My Favorite Things

Angel Eyes

In Amsterdam

Anything Goes

Bossa Nova USA contains tracks from 1962, including some from sessions that

were also released as part of My Favorite Things - which also featured some

tracks from 1965. Plus there's a take of Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town that

was recorded at one of those 1962 sessions for some Christmas compilation.

Angel Eyes is another album culled from 1962 and 1965 sessions. The live

stuff from In Amsterdam is from the same era as those '62 sessions and yet

unissued on CD (except for excerpts on The Great Concerts). Anything Goes

then contains the remaining '60s DBQ sessions that haven't made it to CD yet

(outside of Japan) but are not explicitely damned to remain un-reissued

by Dave Brubeck himself (unlike Jackpot and The Last Time We Saw Paris).

All of this is prime DBQ material featuring the classic lineup, it's almost

entirely unreleased on CD outside of Japan (not by any pirate labels, either)

and it would probably fit very nicely on three Mosaic Select discs. :)

4 of the suggested sessions have already been released by the Japanese (Sony):

Bossa Nova USA (SRCS-9364)

Angel Eyes (SRCS-9368)

My Favorite Things (SRCS-9369)

Anything Goes (SRCS-9526 or SICP-1011)

I doubt a Mosaic Select set would be issued that duplicates these CDs. I would like to see a Mosaic Select CD set issued for "In Amsterdam", "Jackpot", "Last Time We Saw Paris", "The Riddle", "Compadres", and "Blues Roots". As far as I know these sessions have never been released on CD.

4 of the suggested sessions have already been released by the Japanese (Sony):

Bossa Nova USA (SRCS-9364)

Angel Eyes (SRCS-9368)

My Favorite Things (SRCS-9369)

Anything Goes (SRCS-9526 or SICP-1011)

I doubt a Mosaic Select set would be issued that duplicates these CDs.

They don't seem to care much about these things. They've even put out

albums that were released in Europe if there was no US release before.

I would like to see a Mosaic Select CD set issued for "In Amsterdam", "Jackpot", "Last Time We Saw Paris", "The Riddle", "Compadres", and "Blues Roots". As far as I know these sessions have never been released on CD.

From what has been said, Brubeck himself will not allow Jackpot and the Paris album to

be reissued. The others would be interesting, but would not make for a very coherent set.

Edited by Kyo

I forgot to add that "Jazz Goes To Junior College" has a lovely, rather quiet, version of St Louis Blues. Dave retained that in his playlist for several years.

"Southern Scene" (with "Peter Gunn") was my first LP, and it's a great album that seems to have been ignored for years.

A track called 'Makin' Time' is one of my favorites, recorded in 1954 and should have been reissued on the "Interchange 54" CD; it is in the same groove as "Audrey". But apparently it's lost in the vaults because it was only ever issued on the sampler "I Like Jazz" and nobody but me knows it exists (boo hoo, sniff). Desmond is sensational on it IMO.

A track called 'Makin' Time' is one of my favorites, recorded in 1954 and should have been reissued on the "Interchange 54" CD; it is in the same groove as "Audrey". But apparently it's lost in the vaults because it was only ever issued on the sampler "I Like Jazz" and nobody but me knows it exists (boo hoo, sniff). Desmond is sensational on it IMO.

I too know it exists. In fact, Desmond's solo on "Makin' Time" concludes with an exact quote that he plays on "Audrey". Was the I LIKE JAZZ sampler a 45 RPM ep only, which I've owned for many years? I never did see the I LIKE JAZZ lp, if in fact it ever existed.

Edited by MartyJazz

"The Dave Brubeck Quartet In Europe" is another excellent album.

Recorded in Copenhagen in 1958, with the Quartet in their prime (with new bassist Gene Wright), it and the venue have a great ambiance. Well worth a reissue.

Parts of it have been put out on CD, but not the entire set. There are no dud tracks and it makes a fine package.

It existed...I've seen it any number of times...never knew it was home to a rarity, so I never picked it up.

Meanwhile after writing that I never knew of the existence of the I LIKE JAZZ ! lp having been familiar with an abbreviated 45 RPM ep for many years, something prompted me to finally take a second look at a box of albums I received some time this decade from an acquaintance who was disposing of a deceased relative's belongings. Sure enough, as an evident sign that I must be losing it somehow, there was a nice clean copy of the I LIKE JAZZ ! lp.

In any event, Musicbox above correctly noted the connection between "Makin' Time" and "Audrey" from the BRUBECK TIME session. The liner notes on the back of the LP state: "The Dave Brubeck in this collection is of special interest to collectors, for it is a blues which was recorded a few seconds after the completion of Audrey...and is in reality a variation on the same mood."

After reading this thread, I stopped on my way home from work at a record store which I knew had a large shelf of Brubeck albums. Sure enough, they had a nice stereo copy of Jackpot. Brubeck's liner notes imply that he was not happy with either the tuning or the action of the baby grand piano, and that he dealt with the situation by having a few more drinks than usual. (That last part could well be comic exaggeration.) The piano does indeed sound bad - somewhat out of tune (although not painfully so), but also just hard and unpleasant sounding. But on several of the tracks Brubeck does sound looser than usual - not necessarily a bad thing. I really like his solo on "Win a Few, Lose a Few." "Rude Old Man" is a nice bass feature, and Joe Morello has a long feature number; if you like long Joe Morello solos, it's a pretty good one. Desmond is his usual wonderful self, and plays particularly beautifully on "Out of Nowhere" and "You Go to My Head."

Jackpot won't change anybody's life, but it's a nice album, and I'm glad I got it.

I was hoping that the store would have a copy of the I Like Jazz album mentioned by Donald, but no such luck. They did have a couple of copies of the Brubeck/Bernstein record - I'll probably go back and get that one.

I've been listening to some LP rips of the not-yet-on-CD albums and

had another idea - how about a "Brubeck & Guests" Mosaic Select?

The Riddle

Witches Brew + whatever else is left of the Bill Smith sessions

Compadres

Blues Roots

The latter two add up to about 100 minutes alone and there's

at least one more track with Mulligan (Theme for Jobim) they

could add (it was on the the Summit Sessions LP originally).

If the Witches Brew material is about one LP's worth by

itself, that makes over three hours of music - I'd buy it! :D

Edited by Kyo

• 3 weeks later...

Brubeck, Dave Tonight Only!!!! DBQ with Carmen McRae

I was so disappointed went Columbia released that CD sampler of all of Brubeck's vocal encounters instead of complete single CD reissues. Only the Rushing was reissued in full. Too bad, since what I heard from the McRae LP is excellent, and the tracks with her featured from the Real Ambassadors LP would have made a nice bonus.

Amazon has just listed a new reissue of "Southern Scene". The write-up says that the CD also includes a complete reissue of "The Riddle". "The Riddle" has never been released on CD. The CD will be released on July 13.

Thanks for the heads up. Looked at the listing on Amazon. No record label mentioned that's reissuing this. Could be a Fresh Sounds (Spain) needledrop bootleg for all we know.

Edited by monkboughtlunch