Cookin' Relaxin' Workin' Steamin'

mgraham333

In my experience the DCC CDs are the best digital versions (I have two of them), but the K2 CDs are also a markable improvement over the OJCs. Definitely worth the $13.

The Hoffman remastered DCC CDs are by far the best digital versions of these great albums, much easier on the ears than the K2s or XRCDs in my opinion. Unfortunately, they're OOP and pretty expensive when you can find them used.

151937.jpg

This one. I got it from yourmusic.com for $4.99 before that price went away.

It's got an "ease" and depth to the sound that none of the digital versions I have heard has, the SACD layer at least. I haven't listened to the cd layer of this. (My most recent direct comparison would be to the excellent XRCD 24 bit version).

Edited by jazzbo

I am definitely happier with the K2 upgrades of Cookin and Relaxin - they have more punch than the original CDs, but not too much. However, the Workin K2 seemed really "hot" to my ears (overloaded), although that may just be a magnified fault of the original tapes.

(But these four albums all came from the same two sessions, so I don't know why Workin's tracks stood out.)

However, the Workin K2 seemed really "hot" to my ears (overloaded), although that may just be a magnified fault of the original tapes.

(But these four albums all came from the same two sessions, so I don't know why Workin's tracks stood out.)

Probably remastered that way - maximization of sound levels is a mastering disease nowadays.