More Brit-Jazz Vocalion Reissues Coming Up

sidewinder

I don't know whether this is the right thread to ask this question (there doesn't seem to be a general thread about the Dutton Vocalion reissues so I did a search and this seems one of the more likely places):

What's this one here?

51QGDHJVYDL._SS500_.jpg

A compilation of stuff from other discs available, or a compilation that came out as such, back in the day?

Guest donald petersen

oob-it is just a normal album with two different bands on it. one performs the lions share of the music (skidmore, wheeler, taylor, miller, oxley if i remember) and there are a few tracks with taylor on epiano and miller on ebass and alan jackson and maybe surman or someone different upfront. and there is an early SOS track to open the album up. i think the music is from probably more than one session though-it seems like the quintet stuff i mention is probably from the skidmore leader album which vocalion reissued last year or two years ago. but it isn't a hodepodge or a compilation as far as i can tell.

It's a compilation that came out a few years after the Surman and Skidmore sessions on it - came out around 1973 I think on vinyl and is quite elusive. I like this Vocalion CD and can recommend it. Alan Skidmore's sessions of this vintage (in fact of any vintage) are well worth seeking out. Don't miss the 'Once Upon A Time' CD either (too bad that the very fine 'TCB' hasn't been reissued).

TCB is on CD, or was, in Japan. That's what I have.

Are most of the Vocalions in print still? I gave up on finding the Beckett RCA's on vinyl.

The Harry Beckett's certainly are, anyway. They are shown on Amazon and on the Dutton Vocalioan website:

Dutton Vocalion

I find that when Vocalion recordings are first released they are very difficult to obtain through Amazon so I generally buy them direct from Vocalion, albeit at full price! Service & delivery are first class.

Guest donald petersen

the dutton reissue schedule has certainly slowed to a crawl!

oob, so it is a compilaton but it doesn't come off like one-first track is SOS trio...next track is SOS trio with rhythm section...next track is in two parts-the first is half of that last group (same rhythm/only one SOS horn) and the second half is from that skidmore session i don't care for...the next track is the same as the skidmore session...the final track is the same as the skidmore session.

so as you can see from my in-depth analysis that it would not be insane to assume the album is composed of material from just one two or three sessions and certainly does not have a compilation feel since to repeate-there is one SOS track and then the SOS guys with a band and then one of the SOS guys with the same band and then all material from the skidmore band.

it's not an album to get hard over but it's pretty decent and like i said, i like it more than the actual skidmore album.

i also don't like the dutton remastering. seems sort of weak.

i do like that beckett two-fer. worth checking out, cliffe.