Black & Blue

I never really got the chance of talkin' 'bout this album with anybody yet...and it is a piece of magic that has been amazin' me for years now. 1974 Earl Hines & Budd Johnson's "Black & Blue".

Here's the story with this album for me...I was 'bout 15 years old when my Dad came to me one day and said "I want you to listen to this LP...You'll love it". So I played it, and I fell under its spell right there and then. That happened almost 15 years ago...and I'm still crazy 'bout this album. I got lucky and found a CD edition, so I bought one for me and one for my Dad. Life happens, and I lost mine...My Dad passed away almost two years ago. And his Jazz collection, including the orginal LP and the CD I got for him, passed on to me. I often wonder if God was already planning on that when I bought those two CDs...

Earl Hines, piano.

Budd Johnson, tenor and soprano saxes.

Jimmy Leary, bass.

Panama Francis, drums.

It was recorded on July 18th 1974 at SEED studio, in Vallauris, France, by Gerhard Lehner. And it is an absolute great album.

Among all the music I ever listened with my Dad (Louis Armstrong was always a big part of his Jazz sessions), this album is the one I probably cherish the most in my heart.

Blues for sale, Gone with the wind, If you were mine, Am I waisting my time, The dirty old man, Linger a while, Mr Bechet, I hadn't anyone till you, Velvet Moon and Just in time. What an album...

Budd Johnson's approchin' to "Blues for sale" always reaches deep down to my soul...That would be one of my favorite cuts, I guess...

"Gone with the wind" always sounds so positive to me...Budd's tenor sax at his best, and Earl Hines' piano perfectly matchin' his well-known reputation as one of the finest pianists we ever had!...Can't get over his solo....And Panama Francis always makes me jump and smile in this song..Jimmy Leary sounds perfect, what can I say?...If perfection does exist, this cut has it all...

"If you were mine"...oh my....Earl's introduction is already filled with such tremendous sensibility that by the time Budd Johnson starts playin', you arealy feel very much in love...and wishing that same love back...I love this cut.

"Am I waisting my time"...I started really lovin' Earl Hines just because of this particular performance, I believe...And it amazes me how Budd could always absolutely understand what Hines was tryin' to do in every single song...This is what Jazz Music sounded like when I was growing up and my Dad used to play his old Jazz records every sunday morning...That bass...it gets into you, straight to the heart...right when Earl's solo, close to the end, is liftin' you higher and higher..Great stuff...

"The dirty old man"...Budd Johnson sounds "dirty" here...He is just that dirty old man, you know?...Kind of dandy, but kind of shameless after all...I don't know why, but it made me think of Charlie Parker...I think Budd sounds awesome here.

"Linger awhile"...I LOVE THIS CUT!!!!!....Budd's performance, and Earl's way of followin' his steps all the song thru...Jimmy Leary is one ellegant bass player...And Panama Francis is simply amazin'.

"Mr Bechet"...I first didn't know what to think of this cut...until Budd Johnson got all over my senses with his ability to make the whole darn world to dissapear when he plays that soprano sax...Sooooooo soulful...so brilliant....I love this song too. I already said I LOVE this whole album, didn't I?...Earl Hines sounds so sweet here...

"I hadn't anyone till you"...Ain't that the perfect declaration of love?...You can actually hear Earl Hines explainning so with his piano...Smooth...and gentle...

"Velvet Moon" is one beautiful composition. I find it hard to perform right...And Budd's whisperin' sax gives you a whole new perspective...Earl Hines plays a beautiful piece all the way through...That is havin' some class. Very, very sensitive cut.

"Just in time" is one of those old songs that we all have heard sometime...And I simply love how Earl Hines plays his piano to go along with this melody, at the same time that he is improvisin' some magic...Jimmy Leary's classy bass is always nice to hear, by the way...

Anyway...this was just some short input on this recording...I hope some of you have listened to it. It sure is some wonderful exercise of talent.

Edited by Billie

I have the Black and Blue vinyl original of that excellent session. The title of that album was 'The Dirty Old Men' :o

Edited add:

This thread is not in its proper Forum. It should be moved to the Miscellaneous Music forum...

Edited by brownie

I have the Black and Blue vinyl original of that excellent session. The title of that album was 'The Dirty Old Men'  :o

That's right :) . It's been a while since I've heard the LP, I even forgot that they called the CD "Black & Blue", when the original edited version on vinyl was "The dirty old men"! It is so great to find somebody else that actually has a vinyl original as well! :D

I'm sorry I posted this on the wrong forum.. :o ...Still tryin' to get used to the Organissimo forums... :blink:

I haven't heard that one but it sure sounds good.

If you ever come across this album, get it. I still know several people that did it, and can't believe they never heard of this album 'til I told 'em 'bout it... :w ... It'll be totally worthwile, trust me :) .

I had this and a couple of lps worth in a 5 disc set on MF, but they are (sadly) gone.

Hines and Budd go "way back" and I have very fond memories of them as part of a Hines reunion band at the Chicago Jazz Festival.

I had heard some older Earl Hines recordings before I got to this album, and for some reason , he never sounded this soulful before to me...I might be a little bit influenced by the fact that I used to be far more concentrated on other musicians (and instruments), such as Lester Young, Clifford Brown and Max Roach...and whenever I thought 'bout a piano player, Richie Powell, Teddy Wilson, Wynton Kelly and Duke Ellington were on my mind at the time (I know...nothin' to do either one of 'em with the other...except for Wynton and Richie, that both played with Dinah Washington...And so did Clifford Brown...And yeah...Clifford and Richie -and wife Nancy- died together in that car crash, didn't they?...What a sad day that was...), and Earl Hines was very much being ignored by my ears (silly, silly ears...)... :huh: ... Weird, huh?...

I'm really sorry you lost that set of LPs.. :(

Edited by Billie

Of course I trust Billie Holiday.

If you ever come across this album, get it. I still know several people that did it, and can't believe they never heard of this album 'til I told 'em 'bout it... :w ... It'll be totally worthwile, trust me :) .

Found this one a decade or so ago as Linger Awhile on the Classic Jazz label. It's everything you say, Billie!

:D

I forgot to mention some' though...

The original vinyl I have, "The dirty old man", included only 6 cuts (Blues for sale, Gone with the wind, If you were mine, Am I waisting my time, The dirty old man and Linger awhile). And the recording date says July 16th, instead of July 18th, 1974. I never paid much attention to that though. The CD edition includes 4 more cuts. I assume that dependin' on the label releasin' the copy it will include certain cuts, and will leave some others out. The same way your copy goes by "Linger awhile". Pretty confusin' at times, baby... :huh:

Edited by Billie

I also have had this one on CD for a long time. Haven't listened to it in quite some time so I just pulled it off the shelf. Plan to play it in my car tomorrow morning.

:) I hope you'll have a good drive...and a great monday morning... :D I'm very happy to know you will do so!

Of course I trust Billie Holiday.

Bless your heart, hon. You certainly gotta trust such Lady.... ;) ....'Cause trustin' her is trustin' me... ^_^

I'll second that.

I need more Hines and more Johnson in my collection, and this sounds like a great way to go!

I do believe it is, Kalo. It's full of magic and class...And those four hearts do beat at the same time in every single cut there...Quite an experience...

Budd Johnson was amazing - great player, great arranger - there's a Classics French CD that has him with Dizzy's modern band in 1944, with George Wallington, in which he plays great - when I lived around NYC in the middle 1970s and was trying to meet musicians of the 1930s and 1940s I approached Johnson to do an interview one night in a club - he turned me down, politely, saying he was tired of doing them, and I always regret not being more persistent, as he's a guy it would have been quite interesting to get to know (he did turn to the guy next to him and say to me "I'd like you to meet my friend Al Sears"; in those days there were a lot of old jazz vets walking around. It's kind of amazing to think of it now) -

Edited by AllenLowe

Budd Johnson was amazing - great player, great arranger - there's a Classics French CD that has him with Dizzy's modern band in 1944, with George Wallington, in which he plays great - when I lived around NYC in the middle 1970s and was trying to meet  musicians of the 1930s and 1940s I approached Johnson to do an interview one night in a club - he turned me down, politely, saying he was tired of doing them, and I always regret not being more persistent, as he's a guy it would have been quite interesting to get to know (he did turn to the guy next to him and say to me "I'd like you to meet my friend Al Sears"; in those days there were a lot of old jazz vets walking around. It's kind of amazing to think of it now) -

:) Don't ya miss those good ole days?...I can't get over tha fact that nearly all the good ones are gone...It breaks my heart...And I miss 'em all.