Don Adams aka Maxwell Smart has passed

BERIGAN

Man, did I watch this show a lot in my youth! Bet a lot of folks here did as well. :(

Check out his age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don Adams, TV's fumbling secret agent on `Get Smart,' dies at 82

By BOB THOMAS

Associated Press Writer

September 26, 2005

Don Adams, the wry-voiced comedian who starred as the fumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart in the 1960s television spoof of James Bond movies, "Get Smart," has died. He was 82.

Adams died of a lung infection late Sunday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, his friend and former agent Bruce Tufeld said Monday, adding the actor broke his hip a year ago and had been in ill health since.

As the inept Agent 86 of the super-secret federal agency C.O.N.T.R.O.L., Adams captured TV viewers with his antics in combatting the evil agents of C.H.A.O.S. When his explanations failed to convince the villains or his boss, he tried another tack: "Would you believe...?" It became a national catchphrase.

Smart was also prone to spilling things on the desk or person of his boss Thaddius (actor Edward Platt). Smart's apologetic "Sorry about that, chief" also entered the American lexicon. The spy gadgets, which aped those of the Bond movies, were a popular feature, especially the pre-cell-phone telephone in a shoe.

Smart's beautiful partner, Agent 99, played by Barbara Felden, was as brainy as he was dense, and a plot romance led to marriage and the birth of twins later in the series.

Adams, who had been under contract to NBC, was lukewarm about doing a spy spoof. When he learned that Mel Brooks and Buck Henry had written the pilot script, he accepted immediately. "Get Smart" debuted on NBC in September 1965 and scored No. 12 among the season's most-watched series and No. 22 in its second season.

"Get Smart" twice won the Emmy for best comedy series with three Emmys for Adams as comedy actor.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...mplate=dateline

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, "Get Smart" is a show I used to watch almost more than any other as a kid and yet it's one you really hear nothing about these days.  Don't know if it's held up well over time, but as a kid I really dug it. 

...plus...BEST opening of any T.V. series ever....

I saw them run on Nick at Night years ago, they ran the black and white ones that I don't remember as a kid...they seemed even funnier. Buck Henry wrote at least some of the shows...

would you believe. . . .

Yes great website name!

Just thinking of this show the other day.

I had "spy" shows on my mind -

Get Smart, I Spy and others while listening to

some fantastic arrangements by Jerry Goldsmith,

Morton Stevens, Walter Scharff, Gerald Fried and others

from these 6 CDs of The Man from U. N. C. L. E. series.

Classic opening to the show. RIP...

I'm saddened. Don Adams was one of my family's favorites, especially my father's, when he was a frequent guest on the Steve Allen Show in the late 50s.

I remember one line when he was a defense attorney addressing the jury: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury. For the past hour the prosecuting attorney has stood before you and made a complete ass out of himself. Now, it's my turn."

I also remember the Tennessee Tuxedo cartoons, which didn't really catch my fancy.

During the late 70s I watched Get Smart weeknights on a new UHF station in Pittsburgh which was running a number of old shows. I was struck by something that I hadn't caught when I was a kid watching Get Smart when it was new. The real humor of that show was watching the Chief doing a slow burn.

I too went to see The Nude Bomb. But without Ed Platt, it wasn't the same.

By the way, Buck Henry wrote the scripts for the first three years. When he left, the show went downhill. First they spent a year engaged, leading up to their marriage. Then they changed networks, a rarity, going from NBC to CBS. Then they spent a year dealing with a baby.

As I recall, the show was created by Buck Henry and Mel Brooks.

Edit: And also by the way, the saying from the show that I find myself using fairly frequently is "...And loving it!"

Edited by GA Russell