frank strozier...

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

anyone own frank strozier's steeplechase albums?

i saw a few in a store and they looked interesting. players like michael carvin and howard johnson and harold mabern...marvin gaye covers???

anyone have any feelings?

It's been awhile since I've played them (WHAT'S GOIN' ON and REMEMBER ME), but my recollection is that they're good but not (IMO) great. I should spin them again, though (thanks for reminding me).

I'm a big fan of his Vee Jay material, and an even bigger fan of the Jazzland/Milestone recordings (LONG NIGHT / MARCH OF THE SIAMESE CHILDREN). :tup:tup:tup:tup

It's been awhile since I've played them (WHAT'S GOIN' ON and REMEMBER ME), but my recollection is that they're good but not (IMO) great.  I should spin them again, though (thanks for reminding me).

I'm a big fan of his Vee Jay material, and an even bigger fan of the Jazzland/Milestone recordings (LONG NIGHT / MARCH OF THE SIAMESE CHILDREN).  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

I agree - Strozier is important enough, and sparsely represented on record, that everything is worth checking out, but the two Steeplechase albums are less interesting to these ears than the earlier sides. The long version of "What's Goin' On" is expendable.

as far as my tastes though, i would be more interested in 70s stuff than the earlier stuff.

i have heard the siamese children two-fer.  it's aight.

Hey, that's cool. :tup Sorry if I sidetracked your topic (just wanted to make sure you knew about those earlier dates). I'll try to spin the Steeplechases soon and let you know which one I like better (although that may not really be useful information, based on our different tastes ;)).