ANCIENT TO THE FUTURE

Chalupa

This is incredible!!!!!

Ars Nova Workshop celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM) with Ancient to the Future. Co-presented primarily with International House Philadelphia, ANW will feature concerts with Henry Threadgill, Joseph Jarman, Roscoe Mitchell, Muhal Richard Abrams, Anthony Braxton, Kahil El'Zabar, Leroy Jenkins and others.

Ancient to the Future celebrates the remarkable artistic progress of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians, Inc. (AACM). Formerly based in Chicago’s racially segregated, all-black South Side, this dynamic collective of black musicians and visionaries has been dedicated to nurturing, performing and recording original jazz and creative music for 40 years. Now the oldest and most venerable organization of its kind in the US, the AACM has developed a repository of original “Great Black Music” that has heightened the environmental and cultural cohesion of our world communities. AACM musicians/ensembles include the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Fred Anderson, Anthony Braxton, George E. Lewis, Amina Claudine Myers, and Tortoise’s Jeff Parker. Ancient to the Future acknowledges the AACM’s unprecedented dedication, perseverance and rigor.

Saturday, October 8, 2005 | 8pm

Roscoe Mitchell Quartet

featuring special guest Muhal Richard Abrams

with

Roscoe Mitchell, reeds

Muhal Richard Abrams, piano

Jaribu Shahid, bass

Tani Tabbal, drums

International House Philadelphia

3701 Chestnut Street

$20 General Admission

$15 Senior Citizens/IHouse Members

$10 Students with valid ID

I would consider swimming right from the UK to get to this gig.

Roscoe Mitchell Quartet

with

Roscoe Mitchell, reeds

Jaribu Shahid, bass

Tani Tabbal, drums

3701 Chestnut Street

$20 General Admission

I had tickets to see Wayne Shorter perform the same night. I sold them to a friend of a friend as soon as I found out about this show.

Roscoe Mitchell Quartet

with

Roscoe Mitchell, reeds

Jaribu Shahid, bass

Tani Tabbal, drums

3701 Chestnut Street

$20 General Admission

I had tickets to see Wayne Shorter perform the same night. I sold them to a friend of a friend as soon as I found out about this show.

Sound decision!

Bought my 5 show pass today. For $70 I get to see the five following shows:

Roscoe Mitchell Quartet 10/08/05 8:00 PM

Anthony Braxton Sextet 11/04/05 8:00 PM

Wadada Leo Smith’s Golden Quartet 12/03/05 8:00 PM

Ethnic Heritage Ensemble 02/03/06 8:00 PM

Henry Threadgill’s Zooid 03/17/06 8:00 PM

:D:D:D

http://www.ihousephilly.org/programs-music...IHouse.htm#aacm

:D  :D  :D

Rub it in why doncha! <_<

• 3 weeks later...

The Philly show was superb. One minor complaint, I thought Shahid's bass was miked too loud, he even motioned to cut it back at one point. I drove to Baltimore the next day to see two sets of Mitchell solo. Someone should make a documentary on him and record a few of these performances. It's mind-boggling how amazing this guy is.

The Philly show was superb. One minor complaint, I thought Shahid's bass was miked too loud, he even motioned to cut it back at one point. I drove to Baltimore the next day to see two sets of Mitchell solo. Someone should make a documentary on him and record a few of these performances. It's mind-boggling how amazing this guy is.

I agree the Philly show was excellent. I had a hard time getting there between the rain and my knee(I was the guy w/ the cane in the 3rd row) but I'm so glad I made the effort. They played one piece for about 1 and 15 minutes. Roscoe did a l-o-n-g solo near the end that seemed to involve circular breathing. I had read about Coltrane doing this but I had never witnessed this in person. Not being a Sax player I can't be sure but anyway it was incredible! Muhal played some really interesting accompaniment on piano that reminded me of Cecil Taylor. I thought he was too low in the mix, though :(.

A friend of mine got permission to make an audio/video recording of the complete show. So if anyone does decide to make a documentary there will be footage available.

Edited by Chalupa

I agree the Philly show was excellent. I had a hard time getting there between the rain and my knee(I was the guy w/ the cane in the 3rd row) but I'm so glad I made the effort. They played one piece for about 1 and 15 minutes. Roscoe did a l-o-n-g solo near the end that seemed to involve circular breathing. I had read about Coltrane doing this but I had never witnessed this in person. Not being a Sax player I can't be sure but anyway it was incredible! Muhal played some really interesting accompaniment on piano that reminded me of Cecil Taylor. I thought he was too low in the mix, though :(.

I was the guy two rows in front of you with a sketch book. (If I'd known that was you I wouldn't have tripped you as walked past. ;) ) Have we met each other yet? Maybe we should try to say hello at one of these gigs.

I think Roscoe did circular breathing a couple times in the set.

I had a good view of Muhal's fingers; they were a blur of action in his last solo. (And his volume was too low.)

It was somewhat amusing that he starting playing a melodic tune in the last quarter hour of the show -- just after a bunch of people had walked out.

Edited by alankin

Yeah, we should definitely meet up at one of these gigs. Maybe we can get Ron to show up too. The next one I'm catching is this:

Monday, October 24, 2005 | 8pm

Joseph Jarman/Chris Chalfant Duo

with

Joseph Jarman, saxophones/flutes

Chris Chalfant, piano

Houston Hall | University of Pennsylvania

3614 Spruce Street | Philadelphia

Free Admission

Should be great. I've never caught Jarman live. He didn't play w/ AEOC at their last gig in Philly. :(

Edited by Chalupa

Jeeeez, the last time I attended a concert in Houston Hall was around 1975 while I was an undergrad at Penn. It was David Sancious, who had just gone out on his own in a trio after having played keyboards with Bruce Springsteen when he first hit it big.

I'd definitely be up for meeting you guys at a gig, though I'm not sure I can make a Monday night one. Fridays or Saturdays are better for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New show added.....

May 2006

Malachi Thompson's Freebop Band

with

Malachi Thompson, trumpet

Billy Harper, saxophone

Gary Bartz, saxophone

Kirk Brown, piano

Harrison Bankhead, bass

Nasar Abadey, drums

Details coming soon

Event Description:

Malachi Thompson is a composer, bandleader, trumpet soloist, Delmark recording artist, teacher and arts activist. Born in Princeton, Kentucky on August 21, 1949, Thompson’s jazz roots are on Chicago’s South Side. In 1968 he joined the influential Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM) playing the music of Henry Threadgill and Richard Muhal Abrams. He was also became a member of Dr. M.L. King’s Operation Breadbasket Orchestra, the musical arm of SCLC in 1968, working for civil rights for African Americans. In 1974 after completing work for a degree in Music Composition, Thompson was encouraged to move to NYC by jazz legend Art Blakey. While in New York Thompson performed with many of the greatest names in jazz: Joe Henderson, Sam Wooding, Jackie McLean, Frank Foster, Leon Thomas, Sam Rivers, Lester Bowie and Archie Shepp to name a few. In 1978, he formed his highly acclaimed Freebop Band. After 10 years in NYC, he moved to Washington DC and later Vienna, Austria performing and composing for various bands.

In 1989, Thompson was diagnosed with cancer and returned to his native Chicago. After his recovery he became an outspoken advocate for jazz and arts education. He is also a published writer and jazz historian. He conducts master classes, jazz workshops and lectures on all things jazz nationwide.

In 1991 Mr. Thompson founded the Sutherland Community Arts Initiative (SCAI) a not for profit 501 c3 arts and arts education presenting organization on Chicago’s South Side. As a member of SC AI, Mr. Thompson helped found and establish the Hyde Park /Kenwood JAA Z Festival, The Visiting Jazz Artists Program and Creativity magazine. Thompson is also a published writer and jazz historian. In 1994 Thompson helped develop the cultural component of the award-winning proposal to HUD that brought 8 million dollars in federal Empowerment Zone (EZ) funds to cultural institutions in Chicago’s EZ communities. In 1997 Thompson's Freebop Band recorded 47th Street for Delmark records featuring original music from the play The Sutherland, written by playwright Charles Smith and based partly onMr. Thompson's life. The Sutherland had a successful 6-week run at Victory Gardens Theater in the fall of 1997 and won the Illinois Arts Council’s New Play Award. Thompson’s original music from The Sutherland won the prestigious Jeff award (the equivalent of a Tony in NYC). 47th Street was selected as jazz record of the year by the Chicago Sun Times and made it to the top ten of the CMJ national jazz charts. Thompson’s recordings consistently track high on jazz radio charts indicating substantial national airplay. Thompson scored the sound track for the PBS documentary Remembering 47th Street, which won an Emmy for Best Documentary in 2001. Over the past 25 years Thompson’s Freebop Band has featured jazz masters like Carter Jefferson, Billy Harper, Gary Bartz and David Murray. In 2003 Thompson received a commission from Chamber Music America to compose new works to commemorate the band’s 25th anniversary.

In 1991 Thompson created Africa Brass, a 13-piece brass ensemble as a larger vehicle for his original compositions. Africa Brass was inspired by the New Orleans brass band tradition. However Africa Brass is no re-creation, but a logical extension of the brass band tradition that combines big band jazz with Afro-Cuban music forms. Africa Brass has three highly acclaimed CDs, Lift Every Voice and Buddy Bolden's Rag featuring special guest soloist Lester Bowie. In 2002 Africa Brass received a grant from the Aaron Copland Fund to record Thompson’s Black Metropolis Suite and Blues For A Saint Called Louis. These new works are featured on Thompson’s latest Delmark Records CD, Blue Jazz with Africa Brass featuring Gary Bartz and Billy Harper. Blue Jazz climbed to #2 on the CMJ jazz radio charts.

A recipient of many awards and honors, in 1995 Thompson was selected as an Arts Midwest Jazz Master. Thompson was also selected as a "Chicagoan of the Year" in 1996 by the Chicago Tribune for his efforts to bring jazz to the South Side of Chicago. In 1997 the Chicago Endowment for the Arts honored Thompson for his arts activism. Mr. Thompson’s trumpet playing has been recognized in Down Beat Magazine's annual International Critic's Poll. Mr. Thompson is featured on 29 jazz recordings. He has 13 recordings as a leader with eight top ten titles. Thompson has performed in over 15 countries around the world and in 22 states across the U.S. In June 1998 Thompson’s Freebop Band performed at the St. Louis International Jazz Festival in Senegal, West Africa sponsored by the United States Information Agency. Thompson is known in international jazz circles for his exciting, innovative music and as a leading exponent of Chicago jazz.

• 3 weeks later...

An update....

Friday, February 3 | 8pm

Ethnic Heritage Ensemble

with

Kahil El'Zabar, drums/percussion

Joseph Bowie, trombone/percussion

Ernest `Khabeer' Dawkins, tenor/alto sax/percussion

Please note: Corey Wilkes, trumpet/percussion, replaces Joseph Bowie for this perfromance.

Is anyone familiar w/ Corey Wilkes??? Kind of bummed to missing Joseph Bowie.