Bill Evans "Last Waltz" & "Consecration"

RDK

From what I'm reading - and proven by an on-line discography - The Last Waltz box set consists of the Bill Evans Trio's first sets at the Keystone Korner while Consecration contains all of his second sets over a week of performances. But why the hell did Milestone release them this way, which makes for far greater repetition of tunes? Wouldn't it make more sense - and be more desirable - to have the first and second sets together on the same boxes? Was there ever any explanation for this?

Edited by RDK

Yes, I think Last Waltz is later sets.

Interesting how this stuff has now entered the legitimate Evans world, issued on Milestone (joining the Riverside and Fantasy material). Here's the quote from the Pettinger bio p. 281:

==========

The trio played Keystone Korner for eight nights, starting on Sunday, August 31. All eight performances were recorded by the club owner, Todd Barkan, and issued in 1989, without authorization from the surviving artists, on an eight-CD set by Alfa Records of Tokyo called Consecration: The Last Complete Collection. Helen Keane told me specifically: "Bill was not happy with his playing while he was there, didn't know he was being recorded, and would never have approved the release of the material."

==========

Hmmmmm. What a difference some dough makes.

Mike