Bill Evans-Complete Village Vanguard 1961

skeith

I still listen to all three discs of this set all the time. I appreciate the music much more than I did with previous tape and CD releases.

i second that, which is no mean feat considering the historical pertinence of the music...

-e-

I will third that. My feelings exactly. An exceptional box set, in every respect.

Edited by John Tapscott

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came across these photos a couple of days ago. That's Dave Jones and his 2 Ampex machines at the Societé Des Jeunes Amis hall in New Orleans' French Quarter. I took the photos in January 1961, when Dave and I spent a couple of weeks in N.O. making the "Living Legends" series of albums for Riverside.

Why do I post them here? Well, because Dave used the same equipment five months later to record Bill at the Vanguard. Interesting how such a tangled mess can result in the capture of such great music (and here I speak of Evans as well as my wonderful N.O. vets).

61-1.jpg

DaveJonesandequipment-NOJan61.jpg

• 6 months later...

Got this set as a belated Christmas present this past weekend, and the sound is indeed marvelous...it's also nice to listen to the sets in their original order. (A boon for me, as I don't have the Riverside box, and only one of my two individual CDs from these gigs is the 20K version.) Well worth picking up if you're into this Evans material and period; I think the list is now around $19.

Got this set as a belated Christmas present this past weekend, and the sound is indeed marvelous...it's also nice to listen to the sets in their original order. (A boon for me, as I don't have the Riverside box, and only one of my two individual CDs from these gigs is the 20K version.) Well worth picking up if you're into this Evans material and period; I think the list is now around $19.

Wow! Where did you pick this up for $19?

Tower (of power!)

I got it at Borders for about that (I think I had a 20% coupon)

• 7 months later...

For the record, the 12-CD Riverside boxed set *does* have this material in the exact order of recording, just like the new 3-CD set.

It lacks one track (the new Gloria's Step) and the announcements.

Mik

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the Riverside box they are split across CDs, whereas on the new box each disc has complete sets

For the Riverside LP box it's split over 5.5 sides! At least it's not a 45 RPM. :crazy:

I keep trying to "get" this music, but it just doesn't have any emotional impact on me. I appreciate the artistry, but it leaves me cold. So far the only Bill Evans disc I really like is "Everybody Digs".

I felt somewhat the same way when all I had listened to was essentially early Bill Evans. After "Everybody Digs," the first disc that really got me was "You Have to Believe in Spring." I have come around to enjoying most of the other early recordings as well, but the post 1974 material still has the biggest emotional impact on me, and by far. (I guess that means that I like Bill better on Cocaine than Smack. :) )

Edited by John L

I keep trying to "get" this music, but it just doesn't have any emotional impact on me. I appreciate the artistry, but it leaves me cold. So far the only Bill Evans disc I really like is "Everybody Digs".

Sometimes it's hard to explain why you like a musician, but I'll tell you that many times after listening to Bill Evans, it seems that all other "jazz" music sounds childish by comparison. If I had to pick my favorite jazz musician (and that's not easy to do,) it would have to be Bill Evans. It happens that people get tired of a certain type of music after a while, but Bill Evans' music sticks. It really does.

Sometimes it's hard to explain why you like a musician, but I'll tell you that many times after listening to Bill Evans, it seems that all other "jazz" music sounds childish by comparison. If I had to pick my favorite jazz musician (and that's not easy to do,) it would have to be Bill Evans. It happens that people get tired of a certain type of music after a while, but Bill Evans' music sticks. It really does.

I agree with you in many ways. Evans' music does make an emotional impact and connects with me. It will always be in my listening rotation. It definitely does something to me.

• 5 years later...