Quick Dolphy question

bertrand

it is argued that coltrane's miles' mode was actually written by dolphy and appeared earlier under the title red planet.

Is there an earlier recording of the tune as "Red Planet"? I've never heard of one. I first heard the title "Red Planet" on Pee Wee Russell's "New Groove" from 1963. It wasn't until many years later that the tune was attributed to Dolphy.

Issued? No, but Impulse called it "Red Planet" when it was recorded at the Vanguard in 11/61 by Coltrane. And it was called "Red Planet" at the Illinois concert of Dolphy in 3/63 and it was specifically noted as a Dolphy piece on that program.

Gunther Schuller has Dolphy's own music for the piece, using the "Red Planet" title.

Mike

Issued? No, but Impulse called it "Red Planet" when it was recorded at the Vanguard in 11/61 by Coltrane. And it was called "Red Planet" at the Illinois concert of Dolphy in 3/63 and it was specifically noted as a Dolphy piece on that program.

Gunther Schuller has Dolphy's own music for the piece, using the "Red Planet" title.

Mike

My point exactly. While the Russell album entitled it "Red Planet" by John Coltrane, it wasn't until many years later that the above information came to light.