People who ought to be in the movies

jazzbo

Okay, I keep seeing this gal in an ad for University of Phoenix, and it makes me want to go to school. . . .

She ought to be a movie star.

I see people here and there and photos of people here and there and think "They ought to be in pictures!"

Is it just me? Anyone else have any candidates?

Shoot, is that even important in the movies today? Can Keanu Reeves act? Jessica Alba?

I think Roy Hargrove should be in the movies. He can be in the next movie where they have some cop who is so hip but he really isn't but he really is when he's underground and so. . .he turns bad to be hip, but he's really good at heart so. . . . Then the girl makes a mess of it all.

hargrove_roy.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Shoot, is that even important in the movies today?  Can Keanu Reeves act?  Jessica Alba?

It's all a matter of degree. No, you don't have to be a great actor/actress to be a star, but you'd be giving awards to Keanu and Jessica if you saw enough films with people who really couldn't act. :cool:

I vote for Jim Sangry.  And don't ask me why.  I just do.

Actually, I have been in one. A very bad, very low-budget, mostly improvised indie video that some friends made for entry in a video festival. I had a small role as a beer-drinking, cigarette smoking, flannel shirt, gimme cap-wearing redneck named Tick. Much like Dexter Gordon in "Round Midnight", the question of how much of it was really acting came up more than once...

I vote for Jim Sangry.  And don't ask me why.  I just do.

Actually, I have been in one. A very bad, very low-budget, mostly improvised indie video that some friends made for entry in a video festival. I had a small role as a beer-drinking, cigarette smoking, flannel shirt, gimme cap-wearing redneck named Tick. Much like Dexter Gordon in "Round Midnight", the question of how much of it was really acting came up more than once...

An inauspicious beginning to a great career. Sounds like you're ready for a featured role in the inevitable remake of "Deliverance" (maybe dueling saxes this time?).

Well you're right R.

But part of the thing about the "____ ought to be in pictures" is that you just seem to think the person could do it.  It's a little bit of fantasy.  That's the sort of feeling/impression that I was going on when considering this thread.

Oh, I know, Lon. Didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. I think it's due to living/working in Hollywood that it seems like everyone out here wants/thinks they can be in pictures. Gets one a bit jaded if you know what I mean.

Wonder what you think of Andie McDowell? - which again sidetracks since she's already in the movies. ;) I know a lot of people who think she's a terrible actress - and certainly not classically trained - but I love her on screen. She has such a natural presence that to me is just like someone not acting. Almost the exact opposite to me of Meryl Streep, who I really disliked for the longest time because I always felt she was acting too much.

Anyhow, here's someone I used to think had potential...

Edited by RDK