Pete LaRoca discography

Michael Fitzgerald

I'm in the process of wrapping up a discography of Pete LaRoca and need to get details on the Riverside session issued as Paul Serrano: Blues Holiday.

Specifically: track timings; any personnel exceptions; composer of "Me Too"; confirmation on title "I Dream Of Igor"/"Dream Of Igor"/"Dreams Of Igor" and composer.

Also studio/location/engineer - I've seen this as Plaza Sound, NYC (in Chris Sheridan's Cannonball book) but with all those Chicago guys and with Cannonball having just finished playing in Chicago at the Cloister Inn two days earlier? Seems odd.

But then again, if it were in Chicago, why LaRoca - why not Walter Perkins or Vernell Fournier (or even Louis Hayes)? I can place Slide Hampton's Octet in Chicago at the Cloister sometime in the fall of 1960, but not certain if LaRoca was on that gig. But if that did line up that would certainly answer that question.

Already checked Furusho, Bruyninckx, Lord, allmusic and web.

This one has never seen reissue, correct?

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Paul Serrano Quintet - Blues Holiday, Riverside 359

Chicago, November 8, 1960

Paul Serrano (trumpet), Bunky Green (alto sax), Jodie Christian (piano), Don Garrett (bass), Pete La Roca (drums)

Me, Too (Serrano) 6:26

Dream of Igor (Richard Abrams) 8:18

Blues Holiday (Jodie Christian) 4:51

Little Niles (Randy Weston) 4:02

Mr. Lucky (Henry Mancini) 5:52

Everything's Coming Up Roses (Styne-Sondheim) 8:09

I quote from Joe Segal's liner notes:

"Special plaudits are due to Pete La Roca, in town from New York, who filled in so brilliantly on one-day's notice when the quintet's regular drummer was unexpectedly unavailable."

All copied directly from the album. I wonder who Pete La Roca was in town with, and who the quintet's regular drummer may have been?

Aces, Jack, as always.

Wow - Muhal! Serrano's old buddy from the original MJT +3.

My suspicion is that LaRoca was in Chicago with Slide. He had been working with the Octet on and off since fall 1959. When he was hired by Coltrane, LaRoca kept working with Slide and would fly back to NY to make Coltrane gigs. At least he did that when Slide was working in Pittsburgh in late April 1960. LaRoca was on the October 1960 Atlantic date and they had a gig at the Cloister in maybe October where they debuted Slide's new "Cloister Suite" (recorded for Charlie Parker Records shortly thereafter). But perhaps that maybe October was more like November.

Another possibility would be Kenny Dorham, who started at the Counterpoint in Chicago on November 4, 1960 with a quartet. Don't know if he was working as a single or bringing a New York group.

Here's my theory on the intended drummer for the Serrano session: Walter Perkins.

He had been doing the MJT +3 in Chicago up until at least October 20, 1960 (unissued Chicago Vee Jay date, subsequently issued on Koch as Message From Walton Street). Serrano was the original trumpeter for that group,

I believe Bob Cranshaw told me that he and Perkins came to NYC together. Cranshaw (who was also on that October 20, 1960 date in Chicago) recorded with Sonny Red Kyner in New York City on November 3, 1960.

On November 7 & 9, 1960 (the days before and after the Serrano session) Perkins was in New York City, recording for Mercury with....Gigi Gryce.

BTW, here's a sneak peek at the Pete LaRoca discography:

http://www.JazzDiscography.com/Artists/LaRoca/

Mike

A couple of quick comments for the discography after a rapid perusal:

The Jackie McLean composition 'Minor Apprehension' from New Soil (5/2/59) is the same tune as 'Minor March'. Also, 'Formidable' originally appeared on the Vertigo LP in the LT-series to flesh out the Vertigo session which was a bit short.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Also, I'm pretty sure that 'Tears' from Sing Me Softly Of The Blues and 'Tears Come From Heaven' from Basra are the same composition.

Did he really record nothing between 1967 and 1997? I know he was driving a cab and working as a lawyer, but I didn't realize he had completely quit Jazz.

Bertrand.

I've got this one. . . somewhere. Need to find it and listen to it; I remember it as being pretty good, and it sure is better than some lps that have been reissued. I think that all those lps produced by Cannonball for Riverside put together would be a nice pacakge.

I remember being told some tale of Paul and a gangster's moll that was pretty scary and funny at the same time, but I forget all the details.

Excellent - thanks! Updated.

Confirmed you are correct on those identical tunes, Bertrand. Can you verify Vertigo LP track sequence?

LaRoca was the original drummer in Herbie Hancock's sextet at the Vanguard in November 1968 before Albert Heath (btw, Clifford Jordan was the original tenor player before Joe Henderson). In 1969 LaRoca played with Stan Getz and led his own quartets in NYC. That's what I know at this point.

The only item that Bruyninckx and Lord show in the 30 year hiatus is an Annette Peacock album (Been In The Streets Too Long) with one track with LaRoca from 1974. It's added now, but I'd love to get better details. Apparently, expanded CD issue is planned.

Could also use assistance on the 1964 Atlantic record by Walter Davis, Jr.'s wife Anamari.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Details about the Tony Scott Plays Gypsy album.

I have the mono (SM6001) Signature record. The cover is the stereo (SS6001) version by 'Tony Scott and his buddies'.

All songs credited to J. Styne, S. Sondheim.

Side 1:

a- I Had a Dream 2:51

b- Some People 3:05

c- Small World 3:22

d- Little Lamb (Ballad) 2:20

e- Little Lamb (Rhythm) 3:40

Side 2:

f- You'll Never Get Away From Me 3:26

g- Cow Song 1:53

h- Everything's Coming Up Roses 3:44

i- Together Wherever We Go 4:00

j- Rose's Turn 3:41