iPod nano

Jim Dye

ipodnano20050907.gif

$199 and $249.

:tup:tup:tup

Apple Introduces iPod nano

SAN FRANCISCO—September 7, 2005—Apple® today introduced the iPod® nano, a revolutionary full-featured iPod that holds 1,000 songs yet is thinner than a standard #2 pencil and less than half the size of competitive players. The iPod nano features an ultra-portable, lightweight design with a gorgeous color screen, Apple’s patent pending Click Wheel and the ability to hold 1,000 songs or 25,000 photos. iPod nano works seamlessly with the iTunes® Music Store, the world’s number one digital music service. The iPod nano is available immediately in a 4GB model priced at just $249 and a 2GB model priced at just $199, with both models available in stunning white or black designs. “iPod nano is the biggest revolution since the original iPod,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “iPod nano is a full-featured iPod in an impossibly small size, and it’s going to change the rules for the entire portable music market.”

iPod nano is the perfect combination of innovative design, storage capacity and ease of use. Thinner than a standard #2 pencil and weighing only 1.5 ounces, iPod nano comes in two models—the 4GB iPod nano holds up to 1,000 songs and the 2GB iPod nano holds up to 500 songs. iPod nano features Apple’s innovative Click Wheel for precise, one-handed navigation, and its ultra-portable design fits into even the smallest pocket making it easy to take iPod nano to the gym, in the car, traveling, commuting or anywhere you go.

The most fashionable and wearable iPod ever, the iPod nano features optional accessories including lanyard headphones, which integrate the headphone cables into the lanyard, so users can wear their iPod nano around their neck without dangling headphone cables. For customers looking to personalize their iPod nano with colors, an optional set of iPod nano Tubes in pink, purple, blue, green and clear offers fashionable protection in a sheer casing while enabling full operation of all functions including the Click Wheel. Optional armbands available in gray, pink, blue, red and green allow users to wear their iPod nano as the ultimate fashion and sports accessory.

iPod nano features the same 30-pin dock connector as the iPod and iPod mini, allowing it to work effortlessly with a wide range of over 1,000 accessories developed for iPod, including home stereo speakers and iPod car adapters for an incredible music experience at home or in the car.

Featuring seamless integration with the iTunes Music Store and the iTunes digital music jukebox, iPod nano includes Apple’s patent pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads a user’s digital music collection, photos or Podcasts onto iPod nano and keeps it up-to-date whenever iPod nano is plugged into a Mac® or Windows computer using USB 2.0. With its stunning, high-resolution color screen, iPod nano allows users to display album art while playing music, view photo slideshows or play games in full color. iPod nano features up to 14 hours battery life* and completely skip-free playback, as well as new stopwatch, world clock and screen lock applications.

Pricing & Availability

The 4GB and 2GB white and black models of iPod nano for Mac or Windows are available worldwide immediately for a suggested retail price of $249 (US) and $199 (US) respectively, through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. All iPod nano models include earbud headphones, a USB 2.0 cable and a CD with iTunes for Mac and Windows computers.

New optional accessories designed for iPod nano with the following suggested retail prices include: Lanyard headphones for $39 (US), armbands in five colors each for $29 (US), dock for $29 (US) and a set of iPod nano Tubes in five different colors for $29 (US) and will be available within the next 30 days.

iPod nano requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS® X version 10.3.4 or later and iTunes 4.9 (or later); or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000, XP Home or Professional (SP2) and iTunes 4.9 (or later).

* Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information. Music capacity is based on four minutes per song and 128-Kbps AAC encoding; photo capacity is based on iPod-viewable photos transferred from iTunes.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

Press Contacts:

Tom Neumayr

Apple

(408) 974-1972

tneumayr@apple.com

Jaime Schopflin

Apple

(408) 974-3314

jaimes@apple.com

Edited by Jim Dye

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want more capacity. Unfortunately, I think ipod arent marketed to, and may even increase the number of, casual music fans. Alot of these people dont have 4 gigs worth of music to put on an ipod anyways. So smaller is what they want.

I have 20gb and it is plenty small. But what I really need is a 100 or 120 gig to actually fit my entire collection on, maybe even in a high bitrate.

Apple needs to come out with an 80 or 100 gb model. (I only have 7 unused gbs left on my 60gb model--panic is starting to set in.)

For that large a drive, though, they would need to make it much larger - not smaller - and the demand now is for smaller and more lightweight. There's not that much of a market for people with 100 gb music collections.

It looks very cool. As others have pointed out, it is the flash based replacement for the Mini and should find more uses like jogging and exercising.

I was hoping that Apple would come up with an iPod with removable flash storage. Those prices are falling and I can add more capacity if I want to... but otherwise it sounds like Apple once again excelled in design and beat its flash competitors to the market in terms of slimness and weight/gig.

I think it will appeal to those who use them in the gym or while jogging or cycling.

The earlier models are now considered bulky (my how our perceptions change!) yet the Shuffle didn't have the handy screen. This is slim and has a screen. Bingo!

OK, so when do they come out with a waterproof version for swimmers?

Edited by Quincy

No hard drive! The music is stored on flash memory chips.

USA Today had an article about the Nano this morning. It made a couple of points I found interesting.

Because it is static, it is less likely to break if it is dropped. That would seem to me to be a big selling point.

It replaces the Mini, which has been discontinued although the Mini is the world's best selling mp3 player. That strikes me as an extraordinarily bold move. Why discontinue the world's #1 seller?

No hard drive! The music is stored on flash memory chips.

It replaces the Mini, which has been discontinued although the Mini is the world's best selling mp3 player. That strikes me as an extraordinarily bold move. Why discontinue the world's #1 seller?

I had the same thought. I guess Steve Jobs wants to move the bar a bit higher, just beyond the reach of Sony. Today Sony reacted and essentially said 'Yeah, that other company made some announcements, look for more products from us towards the end of the year'. When I looked at the details, those were 6 GIG disk based players and not flash. I did not understand how that is a competitive response to Apple's announcement.

Expecting equally strong sales of the Nano, Apple is rumored to have reserved almost half of all the Flash production capacity of Samsung.

Ordered mine yesterday.

Can't imagine, why people are still waiting for a 100 GB player. I have lots of stuff at home I overlooked for ages (some Mosaics  :( ). Why should I  listen to it on the road suddenly?

I think some people would prefer to have all their music with them all the time, and use their mp3 player as both a player and storage device, while others would simply prefer to focus on a smaller number of albums. I used to be in the former camp. My first mp3 player (I still use it at work), was a 20GB hard drive-based player. I found that I had too many choices for many situations, and that if I was going place to place, having a player with less memory would be better, so that I could get to know the music in my collection better, like I used to when I was a kid and could only afford to buy a CD every month or two. So, I bought myself a little 512MB player, and have been very happy with it, except for the fact that sometimes 512MB isn't quite enough (trips and the like).

The Nano looks very cool, and once I hear more about functionality and durability, I'll consider picking one up. Having 2-4GB is still a lot more manageable for me than 20GB+.

Ordered mine yesterday.

Can't imagine, why people are still waiting for a 100 GB player. I have lots of stuff at home I overlooked for ages (some Mosaics  :( ). Why should I  listen to it on the road suddenly?

Some of us are on the road so much that it becomes the reason why we haven't had the time to listen to a lot of stuff.

I like the idea of an expensive and somewhat bulky iPod that can hold 100GB or so and cheap, light, and convenient MP3 players that hold at least 2GB.

One reason why I am reluctant to take my iPod with me on all of my trips is a worry that it will get stolen, lost, or smashed. A cheaper and smaller MP3 player would be better for that purpose. From that point of view, the nano is still a bit expensive.

too small to handle for me, .....my mini iPod is still good enough, i don't need a colored display, well its not all black and white, but the music i hear isin't that better on a colored display...it looks brighter but the sound is the same

4gigs working for me.....i have only two ears and i'm too lazy to memorize more than 100 songs in my head! :excited::lol: