Serge Chaloff Mosaic

ASNL77

I have just grabbed this one on Ebay for $150. I went for it because the price seemed reasonable ( and I hope it is :huh: ) even if I don't own much music by Chaloff. I have 'Blue Serge' and I think it is a fantastic album. I can't find another thread on the Mosaic set. What is your opinion on that one?

Great set all the way through... I particularly enjoy the session with Dick Twardzik and the last disc w/Sonny Clark. The liners are by Simosko, right? It was one of my first Mosaics. I think there might be more from that session with Sonny Berman on a CD called SERGE CHALOFF MEMORIAL.... a couple of tracks that were done under Berman's name and therefore not put on the set? Been awhile since I pulled that one out.

$150 for this is a reasonable price (I'm assuming it's the 4 CD version). I have the LP set and like it but to be honest I don't play it anywhere near enough. What I do recall is that the booklet has an excellent overview of Chaloff's career from the early days in Boston onwards. This is a good reminder for me to give this set a fresh spin.

How much of this is not covered by the two Capitols and the Uptown?

There is no overlap with the excellent Uptown CD. The remaining sides on the set are from Savoy, Dial, Fantasy and Black Lion. It's what Mosaic used to be great at pulling together material from various labels to give an excellent overview of a neglected artist. The Chu Berry set will hopefully do much the same for him.

There is no overlap with the excellent Uptown CD. The remaining sides on the set are from Savoy, Dial, Fantasy and Black Lion. It's what Mosaic used to be great at pulling together material from various labels to give an excellent overview of a neglected artist. The Chu Berry set will hopefully  do much the same for  him.

Ohhhh...

Thanks! :tup