Oliver Nelson

Peter Friedman

I am missing a couple of Oliver Nelson CDs and am looking for comments about these two OJC's.

What are peoples thoughts about:

Main Stem

Taking Care Of Business

Nelson is the only horn on both sessions. I like the albums on which he faces off with other players like Eric Dolphy, Kenny Dorham, King Curtis, & Jimmy Forrest better. That said, "Taking Care of Business" does feature the underrecorded Lem Winchester, and on "Main Stem" the rhythm section features Hank Jones & George Duvivier, two of the greatest.

These are not up to a number of other Prestige dates, but they ain't chopped liver either!

A slight correction, Jack.

Joe Newman is on Main Stem. I used to have it on vinyl but traded it in. Although it is good, it's not great.

OLIVER NELSON with JOE NEWMAN

Main Stem

OJCCD-1803-2 (Prestige 7236)

Oliver Nelson (1932-75) was justly celebrated and well rewarded for his writing and arranging for orchestras, films, and television. Because his gifts in these areas abounded, Nelson's abilities on tenor saxophone tended to be overlooked. At home beside dauntless avant-gardist Eric Dolphy or R&B boss King Curtis, Nelson could wail and stomp with equally expressive power. The saxophonist's front-line partner here, longtime Basie-ite Joe Newman, is a sterling modern mainstreamer who is particularly adept with the mute in his horn, while the rhythm section, keyed by the perennially graceful Hank Jones, and spiced by Ray Barretto's congas, brings added luster to this sparkling affair.

Main Stem, J & B, Ho!, Latino, Tipsy, Tangerine

with Hank Jones, George Duvivier, Charlie Persip, Ray Barretto

I really like both these dates.

Takin' Care of Business features Winchester, but with a different color in the form of Organnist Johnny "Hammond" Smith. It features his Trane Whistle composition which appeared that same year on the Lockjaw Davis big band album arranged by Nelson. It also includes a stunning version of "All the Way" where you really get to hear Nelson's composer's ear put to work in his own cadenza and solo. I come back to this one often.

Main Stem is fun--it features Joe Newman. Newman and Nelson recorded a live album during this general time period that just got released on Verve under Newman's name--"Live at Count Basie's". I think they sound great together. As far as Nelson's soloing, a lot of people will criticize that Nelson often sounded like he sculpted his solos in advance, and thus lacked a certain element of sponteneity (not a problem with me), but I think this album features Nelson soloing more "off the cuff" than on any of his other Prestige recordings. Plus, you've got Hank Jones on piano--so the album has that going for it too.

Edited by jodigrind

A slight correction, Jack.

Joe Newman is on Main Stem. I used to have it on vinyl but traded it in. Although it is good, it's not great.

OLIVER NELSON with JOE NEWMAN

Main Stem

OJCCD-1803-2 (Prestige 7236)

Oliver Nelson (1932-75) was justly celebrated and well rewarded for his writing and arranging for orchestras, films, and television. Because his gifts in these areas abounded, Nelson's abilities on tenor saxophone tended to be overlooked. At home beside dauntless avant-gardist Eric Dolphy or R&B boss King Curtis, Nelson could wail and stomp with equally expressive power. The saxophonist's front-line partner here, longtime Basie-ite Joe Newman, is a sterling modern mainstreamer who is particularly adept with the mute in his horn, while the rhythm section, keyed by the perennially graceful Hank Jones, and spiced by Ray Barretto's congas, brings added luster to this sparkling affair.

Main Stem, J & B, Ho!, Latino, Tipsy, Tangerine

with Hank Jones, George Duvivier, Charlie Persip, Ray Barretto

I stand corrected! I glanced at this listing from the Fantasy web site, and missed Newman's name because it was at the top, not at the bottom with the rest of the personnel. Unfortunately, I usually don't find Joe Newman to be a particularly inspired soloist. -_-