God I hope this story is overblown right now!!!

Reading this is unbearable.  How much more incompetent can the government be?  Jesus H. Christ!  These people survived the storm just to starve to death and die from dehydration?

I have been following the reports on this catastrophe from the first day, and these were my thoughts exactly. We had devastating floods here in Germany over the last few years, and the government was critized, but It seems to me it wasn't that bad on both sides - the damage and the organization of help. My thoughts and prayers are with the people down there, but I am almost more astonished at the helplessless of the government - they knew this could happen, no emergency plans at all? How was this handled in Florida and other places?

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF.  My thoughts exactly.  And I'm not saying that people in charge don't want to help.  But what the hell has the Gov. been doing since 9/11????  I thought we had devoted a huge amound of resources to figuring out how to help large urban areas after catostrophic situations.

That is precisely what did not happen. It has been absolutely shameful that Congress has essentially thrown Homeland Security money at relatively unpopulated areas while really underfunding NYC, Chicago, LA, DC, NO, etc., etc., etc. There's a Molly Ivins column that belongs in the politics thread, but the main point is that sometimes pork barrel politics kills because it spreads the funds around the whole country rather than where they are needed (in this case urban centers), and this is a particular sad and appalling instance of it.

Some thoughts from my side to share.

First a very private one, as feel very sad about that fact that I had never simply booked a flight to the only US City I always wanted to go to just for pleasure because of the history and the cultural legacy N.O. meant to me…(and I’ve been to the US quite often for business)

A second one: when seeing the pictures in the news its sad to see all the devastated country with so many people now in risk of health and their lives

A third one: when its all about your naked live, it doesn’t really mater where the catastrophy happens…

Cheers, Tjobbe

I went to NO for the first time in July on vacation and I fell iin love with the city. This is from a guy who has always loved NYC and always lived there. It's so horrendous and sad to see this beautiful city destroyed like that.

The response from the Govt on all levels has been weak & ineffectual, and people in the affected areas should beware of W promising whatever is needed to rebuild the city- he pulled that same crap on NYC after 9/11 and then reneged on almost all of his pledges!

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people affected by this. I made a donation today to the Red Cross relief and my employer will match all donations by employees(My company employs about 85000 people.), so I'm hoping that many people donate and I've been pushing people at work to donate.

There's a Molly Ivins column that belongs in the politics thread, but the main point is that sometimes pork barrel politics kills because it spreads the funds around the whole country rather than where they are needed (in this case urban centers), and this is a particular sad and appalling instance of it.

Could you be so kind as to post it there?

Molly is usually spot-on.

Blog from the scene...

Thanks for this. Very informative.

Most of what I have seen on TV has been of the Ninth Ward, which is old and poor, mostly black. Also particularly low-lying. Because of disease concerns from the sweage in the water, I imagine that those old homes will have to be razed.

I have here an email from a high school classmate which concerns the middle class suburb of Metairie:

the East Bank

of Jefferson Parish has fared better than Orleans-- the pumps in Jefferson

are almost all working and water is being cleared . The area around the

Metairie Road to Labarre Road railroad tracks still has several feet of

water. They will not let anyone back into Jefferson Parish until at least 6

AM Labor Day morning--and that is not for certain. No one anywhere has

lights or running water. There is no gasoline available around New Orleans

for up to 70 miles. There was a report just on that Salvation Army and Red

Cross people have reached Causeway and I-10 and officials are using that as

a staging area for rescues ( helos are landing on the Interstate roadways).

One of my three sons at Jesuit contacted Fr. Fitzgerald via email in Grand

Coteau. Brother Dardis, Fr. Hermes and three or four other Jesuits were in

the Jesuit residence at school. They estimated 13 feet of water in the

building and Gym. They were going to try to get out of there somehow today

and evacuate the city. They had about a week's worth of food and water. No

word as to their success in getting out today. Needless to say, the school

year is uncertain.

On a personal note, my neighborhood in Old Metairie is supposedly OK, but my

medical office in St. Bernard is under 8 to 12 feet of water and will likely

be so for a few weeks. So much for work........

I grew up in New Orleans, in Lakeview where Minew now lives. It has been 35 years since I've lived there, so I don't talk about it much. I visted there for a job interview in December, and it was like being in an episode of The Twilight Zone - the streets were all the same but the buildings were different. Although the past six months have been difficult, I know that I should be grateful to the Lord today that I did not get the job.

I just read the following:

"The U.S. Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort, currently in Maryland, will be arriving in the Gulf of Mexico Sept. 8."

SEPTEMBER 8!!!!!What kind of emergency reponse is that? Earlier I read that it's not even going to leave Baltimore for a few more days!!!

What's going on?

I love New Orleans and was planning to drive there with my son so I could intorduce him to The Big Easy. Given the plight of those who are there my disapointment is trivial but in my head I keep hearing Pops singing "Don't you know what it means to miss New Orleans?"

Though weirdly enough as I type this I'm listening to Bill Frissell play "A Hard Rain's Going to Fall".

Edited by medjuck

The damage seems so huge that surrounding countries like Canada and Southern American countries and even European states should be asked to intervene. Did he ask for international help or do the US intend to rescue all these people themselves?

Canadian Forces on standby to help U.S. aid efforts

Chief of Defence Staff General Rick Hillier said Thursday the Canadian Forces have been put on standby to help the United States deal with the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Gen. Hillier said he notified his American counterparts that Canada was prepared to offer whatever assistance was needed. He also noted that the Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART), which was deployed in the Asian tsunami earlier this year, was put on a one-hour notice in Kingston, Ont.

“They have but to ask and we in the Canadian Forces would have it rolling or sailing or flying southward as quickly as possible,” he told reporters Thursday.

Canada offered to transport goods in and out of the devastated region using Hercules aircrafts and helicopters. Gen. Hillier also offered electrical generators and drawing from experience in other disasters, like last year's tsunami, he said Canada was also prepared to establish water purification centres in the region.

Canada offered small boats and diving teams to help recover bodies as well, he said

“Their message back to me was very clear. Firstly it was a heartfelt thanks from their part.”

Gen. Hillier said he was confident that if his U.S. counterparts needed help, they would ask.

“In short, we want to be ready to go as soon as any need is identified that we may be able to fill,” he said.

He said he also made the offer to the U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins.

Earlier Thursday, Prime Minister Paul Martin called U.S. President George W. Bush, offering his condolences for the hundreds and perhaps thousands of those who died in hurricane Katrina.

I am posting this link in French as I know a few of you can understand this language. It basically says that 20 countries have offered to help the US in different ways. It says that the US administration were reluctant to receive international help but that it has changed its mind since. It states that George Bush had first declared that the US will be able to get things sorted by themselves. Geroge Bush said: I do not expect anything from foreign countries because we did not ask for anything. This country will stand up and will sort things out'. It is not the right time to do politics but in this type of situation I find Bush's declaration quite appalling.

The damage seems so huge that surrounding countries like Canada and Southern American countries and even European states should be asked to intervene. Did he ask for international help or do the US intend to rescue all these people themselves?

Canadian Forces on standby to help U.S. aid efforts

Chief of Defence Staff General Rick Hillier said Thursday the Canadian Forces have been put on standby to help the United States deal with the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Gen. Hillier said he notified his American counterparts that Canada was prepared to offer whatever assistance was needed. He also noted that the Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART), which was deployed in the Asian tsunami earlier this year, was put on a one-hour notice in Kingston, Ont.

“They have but to ask and we in the Canadian Forces would have it rolling or sailing or flying southward as quickly as possible,” he told reporters Thursday.

Canada offered to transport goods in and out of the devastated region using Hercules aircrafts and helicopters. Gen. Hillier also offered electrical generators and drawing from experience in other disasters, like last year's tsunami, he said Canada was also prepared to establish water purification centres in the region.

Canada offered small boats and diving teams to help recover bodies as well, he said

“Their message back to me was very clear. Firstly it was a heartfelt thanks from their part.”

Gen. Hillier said he was confident that if his U.S. counterparts needed help, they would ask.

“In short, we want to be ready to go as soon as any need is identified that we may be able to fill,” he said.

He said he also made the offer to the U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins.

Earlier Thursday, Prime Minister Paul Martin called U.S. President George W. Bush, offering his condolences for the hundreds and perhaps thousands of those who died in hurricane Katrina.

I am posting this link in French as I know a few of you can understand this language. It basically says that 20 countries have offered to help the US in different ways. It says that the US administration were reluctant to receive international help but that it has changed its mind since. It states that George Bush had first declared that the US will be able to get things sorted by themselves. Geroge Bush said: I do not expect anything from foreign countries because we did not ask for anything. This country will stand up and will sort things out'. It is not the right time to do politics but in this type of situation I find Bush's declaration quite appalling.

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/050901/290/4kbew.html

If that is an accurate, in context quote, then "appaling" is nowhere near adequate a description.

"The U.S. Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort, currently in Maryland, will be arriving in the Gulf of Mexico Sept. 8."

SEPTEMBER 8!!!!!What kind of emergency reponse is that?  Earlier I read that it's not even going to leave Baltimore  for a few more days!!!

What's going on?

Indeed. I find this quite difficult to stomach.

If that is an accurate, in context quote, then "appaling" is nowhere near adequate a description.

Rice: All Foreign Aid Offers Will Be Accepted

Thursday, September 01

Associated Press

WASHINGTON — In a dramatic turnabout, the United States is now on the receiving end of help from around the world as some two dozen countries offer post-hurricane assistance.

Venezuela, a target of frequent criticism by the Bush administration, offered humanitarian aid and fuel. Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum Corp. (search) pledged a $1 million donation for hurricane aid.

With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (search) has decided "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid.

On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin (search) sent condolences to President Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: "I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it."

"You know," he said, "we would love help, but we're going to take care of our own business as well, and there's no doubt in my mind we'll succeed. And there's no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city."

Historically, the United States provides assistance to other countries experiencing earthquakes, floods and other disasters.

Germany, which was rebuilt after World War II largely by the U.S. Marshall Plan, offered its help in a telephone call to Rice.

"The German Government is prepared to do all that is humanly possible," the German embassy said. In his call, German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer assured Rice of Germany's solidarity with its American friends in a difficult time, the embassy said.

Israeli Ambassador Daniel Ayalon called Wednesday at the State Department to offer condolences and assistance. Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. aid, about $2.2 billion a year.

Wow.  With our family down there (all is safe) and us moving soon, it was a bit scary, but they (and us when we get there) aren't in the dangerous areas.  Knowing Minew is actually living there brings it home even more so.  Don't ask me where I'm going with this; I'm a bit overwhelmed right now.  I think I'll skip the usual joking and posting tonight...

I'm very glad to know your family is safe.

I hope the same for Minew.

Fats Found! :tup:tup:tup

Fats Domino Found in New Orleans

By Gina Serpe 44 minutes ago

One of rock 'n' roll's chief architects has been rescued from the rubble of New Orleans.

Fats Domino, who had been unaccounted for in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, was plucked from the flooded city by a helicopter late Thursday. He was reported to be in good condition.

An APB went out for the musician and his family earlier in the day.

The musician's niece, Checquoline Davis, posted a plea on Craigslist.com for information on her missing relatives, writing that Domino and his wife, Rosemary, and their children and grandchildren "didn't get out" of their New Orleans home. Her plea was one of thousands seeking information on missing friends and family on the site.

The R&B legend had last been heard from on Sunday night, a day before the storm struck. During a phone call with longtime agent Al Embry, the 77-year-old performer insisted he would ride out the hurricane in his three-story home.

It is not immediately known if Domino's family made it to safety.

Domino's house was located in the city's 9th Ward, an area that is heavily flooded and littered with dead bodies.

The singer and boogie-woogie pianist, born Antoine Domino, has sold over 110 million records in his nearly five-decade career highlighted by the jukebox staples "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame." The New Orleans music fixture's 1949 recording of "The Fat Man" is considered by some to be the first rock 'n' roll record, and Domino was among the inaugural group of inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

Another Hall of Famer, singer-songwriter Allen Toussaint, was listed among the missing, although Fox News reported that Toussaint may be among the 20,000-plus refugees seeking shelter in the Super Dome.

With New Orleans a hub of jazz, blues and even rap, several musicians were impacted by the storm. Rapper Juvenile's home was destroyed and he says he has lost several friends. Soul Asylum frontman Dave Pirner, who was waiting out the storm in his native Minneapolis, told the Associated Press he still hadn't heard anything about the condition of his home and recording studio in the Crescent City. Pirner moved there seven years ago.

Meanwhile, several high-powered denizens are rallying support. Master P, whose home was swamped and who hasn't been able to track down his uncle, father-in-law or sister-in-law, has announced the formation of a charity, Team Rescue, and is organizing a "Save Our Hood" concert and benefit album. Wynton Marsalis will play both NBC and BET's telethons in the coming days. Louisiana natives Tim McGraw and Harry Connick Jr. will also perform at the NBC event and have made public appeals for help.

"I haven't slept in days," Connick says in a statement. "Although I now finally know that my immediate family in New Orleans is safe, I have not heard from many, many friends and other family members.

"New Orleans is my essence, my soul, my muse, and I can only dream that one day she will recapture her glory. I will do everything within my power to make that happen and to help in any way I can to ease the suffering of my city, my people!"

SEPTEMBER 8!!!!!What kind of emergency reponse is that?  Earlier I read that it's not even going to leave Baltimore   for a few more days!!!

What's going on?

Indeed. I find this quite difficult to stomach.

I just don't understand this either! It was supposed to leave Tuesday or Weds. I know it will take a week, but why is it still there? Unless they didn't have it fully stocked, there is no excuse.....

".....George Bush had first declared that the US will be able to get things sorted by themselves. George Bush said: I do not expect anything from foreign countries because we did not ask for anything. This country will stand up and will sort things out. "

Yeah, it's going really well so far...............

It seems to me that besides the fact that we do need help, accepting assistance might serve to heal some international wounds as well. The main objective, of course, is getting all those people to safety.

I apologize for a political comment here, but it seems that it's a big part of the crisis.

One thing I am curious about - why didn't more people get out while they had the chance? Wasn't there a mandatory evacuation? I am not trying to throw salt on the wounds, but it seems that is part of the solution if we are going to try and prevent this from happening again. From spending a lot of time in coastal hurricane-prone areas, I know that a certain percentage of people seem to want to stay behind and/or not take the warnings seriously. There is also the issue of those in hospitals and the aged. It seems they are particularly vunerable ...

Edited by Eric

One thing I am curious about - why didn't more people get out while they had the chance?  Wasn't there a mandatory evacuation?  I am not trying to throw salt on the wounds, but it seems that is part of the solution if we are going to try and prevent this from happening again.  From spending a lot of time in coastal hurricane-prone areas, I know that a certain percentage of people seem to want to stay behind and/or not take the warnings seriously.  There is also the issue of those in hospitals and the aged.  It seems they are particularly vunerable ...

A lot of the people that didn't leave were unable to leave due to health or poverty reasons, and it's really tragic and appalling that the city was not prepared to evacuate them. On the other hand, I'm sure the number of idiots who could have left but didn't is non-negligible.

Guy

One thing I am curious about - why didn't more people get out while they had the chance?  Wasn't there a mandatory evacuation?  I am not trying to throw salt on the wounds, but it seems that is part of the solution if we are going to try and prevent this from happening again.  From spending a lot of time in coastal hurricane-prone areas, I know that a certain percentage of people seem to want to stay behind and/or not take the warnings seriously.  There is also the issue of those in hospitals and the aged.  It seems they are particularly vunerable ...

A lot of the people that didn't leave were unable to leave due to health or poverty reasons, and it's really tragic and appalling that the city was not prepared to evacuate them. On the other hand, I'm sure the number of idiots who could have left but didn't is non-negligible.

Guy

Well, I thought I heard only ~75% of the folks evacuated. I surely doubt all of the 25% who stayed behind had health or poverty reasons and I doubt they are idiots either. To me this is a big part of the tragedy, because much of the human loss could have been avoided.

Edited by Eric