Box Design sucks Miles/Trane Col. Compl.

I got the Complete Miles and Trane on Columbia box set not too long ago and have come to the conclusion that this is the WORST goddamn design for a box set I've ever encountered.

The tracks aren't listed on the CD themselves OR the individual CD sleeve. So, I have to try and hunt it down in the booklet somewhere! Then you try and do that and the goddamn binding is so thick that you can barely turn any of the pages enough to read any contents....

This thing SUUUUUUUUUX. :tdown:angry:

I got the Complete Miles and Trane on Columbia box set not too long ago and have come to the conclusion that this is the WORST goddamn design for a box set I've ever encountered.

The tracks aren't listed on the CD themselves OR the individual CD sleeve.  So, I have to try and hunt it down in the booklet somewhere!  Then you try and do that and the goddamn binding is so thick that you can barely turn any of the pages enough to read any contents....

This thing SUUUUUUUUUX. :tdown  :angry:

That's annoying, but more annoying is that you have to buy another copy of Someday My Prince Will Come if you want the tracks without Coltrane. I bet those tracks would easily have fit, too.

I'm not entirely sure I get this rant... but... there's been a long discussion about the newer/cheaper (perhaps better for your purposes) longbox packaging...

try here...

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21167

and here..

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9596

I have several Miles boxes and both the spine version and the longbox... I just recently donated my single Miles/Trane CDs and got the longbox because of very, very good prices.... If it's bugging you that much, return it and buy the longbox version...

I got mine over here... less than $9 a CD.... :excited::excited:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?pa...&prod_id=712335

hope that helps...

That's annoying, but more annoying is that you have to buy another copy of Someday My Prince Will Come if you want the tracks without Coltrane. I bet those tracks would easily have fit, too.

....but then it wouldn't have been the Complete Coltrane/Davis, it would have been the Complete Coltrane/Davis + a few random other tunes with Mobley. It makes sense to me. I like the packaging, too. Much better than that Herbie Hancock box, the clear cube

I got mine over here... less than $9 a CD....  :excited:  :excited:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?pa...&prod_id=712335

hope that helps...

It's also available in longbox format for less than $6 per cd from yourmusic.com.

I like the looks of the metal spine versions, and have all of them. But if I were just starting out on these, I'm sure at yourmusic's price I'd go with the longboxes instead.

I also agree about that Herbie Hancock clear cube thing. What were they thinking??

Wish I'd known. The Metal spine may LOOK cool...but it sucks when you try and use it. Looks likes some nice liner notes SOMEWHERE in there...but to pry open and KEEP IT OPEN is a damn struggle....guess I'll just listen to the music. :D

Also, don't get why the alt of Bye Bye Blackbird isn't on the EITHER new CD reissue of Round Midnight!!!! These guys really love chumps like us.

Still, the worst box Sony has ever done has got to be the Charlie Christian box with the foam rubber crud all over the CD's from the very first time you take them out of the box. Fortunately, Sony is the only major label (as far as I know) that provides a toll-free customer service number in every CD, and a quick phone call got me 4 brand-new replacement CD's. But still, how could they possibly let that design out the door, and apparently still continue to do so with all the complaints there have been. :angry::bad:

Still, the worst box Sony has ever done has got to be the Charlie Christian box with the foam rubber crud all over the CD's from the very first time you take them out of the box.  Fortunately, Sony is the only major label (as far as I know) that provides a toll-free customer service number in every CD, and a quick phone call got me 4 brand-new replacement CD's.  But still, how could they possibly let that design out the door, and apparently still continue to do so with all the complaints there have been. :angry:  :bad:

Agree.

They replaced my entire set also.

The Miles 60s box was done very well. Track names, composer, and original album (and even album cover) was on the individual cd sleeves. Why they didnt do that for the other boxes is absolutely astounding to me. I hate having to flip thorugh the booklet for song title and original albums (usually at different parts of the book.)

Jack Johnson and Seven Steps are the same way. I agree, BAD design.

At least with Seven Steps the notes are black ink on white pages. I'm not sure my eyesight has ever been the same since I tried reading the Silent Way notes.

I left the shrink-wrap on them because J.J. has a sticker with the track listings on the back and S.S. has an insert with that info.

I did that too for Jack Johnson (I've also done that with the Grateful Dead So Many Roads box.) I was going to do the same with 7 Steps but in my eagerness to open it up forget. I keep the insert filed next to the box as it's easier access to what's on which disc.

....but then it wouldn't have been the Complete Coltrane/Davis, it would have been the Complete Coltrane/Davis + a few random other tunes with Mobley. It makes sense to me. I like the packaging, too. Much better than that Herbie Hancock box, the clear cube

By this logic, they should also have left off the trio version of Billy Boy. But you can imagine the outrage that would have followed.

The best design is still the Plugged Nickel box -- jewel cases and none of this booklet garbage.

Guy

Then again, they could have saved shelf space and used 2 quad cases. As it is it looks more monumental though.

Yeah, that wouldn't have hurt. But, if you're listening record companies, can your fancy-schmancy designs and put things in jewel cases!

Guy

I was outraged enough that they didn't include the alternative takes of Billy Boy, which is one of the most swinging piano trio performances ever. I would be very interested to hear what the other versions sounded like - whether they were tighter, looser, freer - or even if they were exactly the same, because that gives perspective on the classic take.

Mike

The best design is still the Plugged Nickel box -- jewel cases and none of this booklet garbage.

Guy

Except for the artsy-fartsy type design that they used. Still hard to read. What's up with THAT? :blink:

Be grateful you have notes! My Plugged Nickel has the liner notes all in Japanese (got a MasterSound version cheap/used), and some very strange Nipponese cartoons of Miles.

I was outraged enough that they didn't include the alternative takes of Billy Boy, which is one of the most swinging piano trio performances ever. I would be very interested to hear what the other versions sounded like - whether they were tighter, looser, freer - or even if they were exactly the same, because that gives perspective on the classic take.

Mike

I don't get it. I thought this was the COMPLETE. Once again, an incomplete complete. <_<

I really dislike most of the box sets I have (Mosaic apart). Apart from the gimmicks (metal spine etc) it is the sheer complexity of finding all the information you need in the booklets that drives me mad. The track listing insert for Seven Steps is more use than the whole rest of the information. I seem to remember that the Mingus Atlantic set lacks track times (correct me if I am wrong). Information about personnel and original issue are often on different pages. I wish these things were designed with the user in mind.

In terms of listing the information, the labels aren't ever going to do it right. And even if one does, there's no way that ALL of them will follow suit.

Even Mosaic sets require unnecessary searching in about three places to get the basic information - title, comoser, timing, issue name, issue number. And in many cases you still won't be able to learn the track sequence for the original (and various other) issues.

So why not investigate a system that does it better?

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Temp/mingussample1.htm

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Temp/mingussample2.htm

How much stuff has already been entered comprehensively in this system?

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Temp/boxedsets.htm

Not to mention all the complete artist discographies you know and love from the website.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald