NBA 2005-2006

Kobe and LeBron are just plain great players. They are not players who make the rest of the team better.

How many games do you think Cleveland and LA would have won without their respective stars?

You can't be Most Valuable Players on a team that is not in the upper tier of the league

Of course you can.

Guy

You don't get it, that is exactly what I said, they score a ton, they would be nowhere without them, but Kobe and Lebron do not make their teams better, they just score and win for them....

and..

There are guys on the really bad teams that score a lot, so why not advocate for them to be Most Valuable also.

Because Lebron and Kobe are not under consideration for scoring a lot -- they are under consideration for making their teams a lot better. Do you really think that Cleveland would win 49-50 games without Lebron?

In case you mean that they don't make the other players on their team play better, why should that be relevant except insofar as it helps the team wins more games? This isn't the "best team player" award.

Given Boris Diaw's performance in Nash's absence, I withdraw my support for the guy. It's Kobe or LeBron.

Guy

Edited by Guy

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The widely accepted notion that Kobe does not make his teammates better is, imo, not true at all. He sets up teammates for more wide open shots that get missed than you'd believe. If he had teammates the caliber of those on the Pistons or Spurs or Suns Kobe could average ten assists a game.

LeBron is as gifted a passer as there is, his numbers very often approach triple-doubles. The Cavs practically had to beg him to be more assertive as a scorer, and now he is obliging their wishes.

Alright, playoff predictions. I haven't seen any of the experts' predictions yet so for better or worse these are my opinions.

1st round -- pretty boring this year.

San Antonio (1) vs. Sacramento (8): San Antonio won't have too many difficulties. Spurs in 4.

Phoenix (2) vs. Lakers (7): Kobe's dangerous, but his team is too weak. Suns in 5.

Denver (3) vs. Clippers (6): Probably the only remotely interesting series in the 1st round. Gotta go with the home court advantage on this one. Clips in 7.

Dallas (4) vs. Memphis (5): The NBA's screwed up seeding system means that Memphis gets booted out quickly for the 3rd straight year. Dallas in 5.

Detroit (1) vs. Milwaukee (8): Detroit will dispose of the Bucks with ease. Pistons in 4.

Miami (2) vs. Bulls (7): Miami will finish the Bulls easily. Heat in 4.

New Jersey (3) vs. Indiana (6): Indiana's dangerous but I don't think they have it together this year. Nets in 5.

Cleveland (4) vs. Washington (5): Washington is weak, but the Cavs are inexperienced. Cavs in 5.

2nd round -- some great series this round.

San Antonio (1) vs. Dallas (4): I'm rooting for Dallas to win this, but they can't get past Duncan. Spurs in 7.

Suns (2) vs. Clippers (6): The Suns have it pretty easy. Suns in 5.

Detroit (1) vs. Cleveland (4): LeBron could cause some damage but Detroit isn't in too much risk. Pistons in 6.

Miami (2) vs. New Jersey (3): The Heat have a real dogfight on their hands. Hopefully the Nets will put this one out. Heat in 7.

Conference Finals -- a bit of an anticlimax after the previous round.

San Antonio (1) vs. Phoenix (2): If Amare was playing this would be interesting (the Suns are better overall than last year), but San Antonio should cruise to the finals. Spurs in 5.

Detroit (1) vs. Miami (2): Much easier for Detroit this time around, though the Nets might put up more of a fight. Pistons in 6.

NBA Finals -- a rematch, but a different ending this time.

Detroit vs. San Antonio: I think Detroit's the better team this time, barring an injury to one of their starters. Hopefully Dallas makes it this far so we can stay awake long enough to find out who wins. Pistons in 7.

Edited by Guy

To me, MVP awards are hype for the league, and I couldn't care less who wins. The only thing that counts is the championship.

That said - If your criterion is who makes their team better (who helps their team win), LeBron and Kobe definitely deserve consideration. Without them, the Cavs and Lakes might be in Knick territory - especially the Lakers. On the other hand, Billups has had a great year, but the Pistons would still be a very good team (tho probably not a championship team) without him.

Whoever is chosen is chosen. I don't believe it's that important. Basketball, more than most sports, is a team game, and I'd like to see the MVP award abolished. As I said, tho, it's a publicity gimmick for the NBA, so it will remain.

Thanks for the heads up on this story Soulstation.

Did not see the show but am sure Stephen will have another run of it. Sometimes I think his show collides with games that are on TV so I have missed a whole lot of his shows and he has a quality show.

Thanks again, will keep eyes open.

Bruce

:bwallace:

Edited by BruceW

What team led the league this year in most losses (14) in games decided by 3 points or less? The Golden State Warriors.

Who got into a tight game in their final game of the season last night? Golden State Warriors (vs Utah).

The Warriors suited up only 8 players last night, and the rookies got a lot of minutes. The young guys (especially Ike Diogu and Monta Ellis) played their butts off and kept the W's in the game. With Utah up by 2 and taking over possession with about 35 seconds left in the game, Montgomery (and probably the whole coaching staff) as well as Mike Dunleavy (who was on the floor at the time) told the players: DON'T FOUL. Play solid defense, and maybe we have time for a final shot if we get a stop. Utah brings the ball upcourt, and within seconds of crossing halfcourt, which Warrior player makes like a complete bonehead play and (seemingly intentionally) fouls the Utah player with the ball? No, not one of the rookies. A veteran- DEREK FISHER!! We lose by 3 again. Television announcers Bob Fitzgerald and Jim Barnett respond with a mixture of disbelief, stifled laughter, and disgust... "You CAN'T foul in that situation" (as if spoken to a child who has misbehaved). This perfectly encapsulates the Warriors' season (the same exact thing has happened more than once before). WTF? :rofl:

Ahhh well... "maybe next year" (not sure I'm going to have the stomach for it, though).

Ahhh well... "maybe next year" (not sure I'm going to have the stomach for it, though).

Well, I'm not especially optimistic for next year. But since they've been surprising us in a negative way for the last x years, maybe this is a good thing. FWIW the team's been winning at least 34 games for the past 4 seasons, an improvement over the 4 years before that. So maybe the next marginal improvement will put us in the right place.

Guy

Marc Stein's All-NBA ballot:

First Team

F Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas)

F LeBron James (Cleveland)

C Shaquille O'Neal (Miami)

G Steve Nash (Phoenix)

G Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)

Second Team

F Shawn Marion (Phoenix)

F Tim Duncan (San Antonio)

C Ben Wallace (Detroit)

G Chauncey Billups (Detroit)

G Dwyane Wade (Miami)

Third Team

F Carmelo Anthony (Denver)

F Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers)

C Yao Ming (Houston)

G Tony Parker (San Antonio)

G Vince Carter (New Jersey)

Alright, playoff predictions. I haven't seen any of the experts' predictions yet so for better or worse these are my opinions.

1st round -- pretty boring this year.

San Antonio (1) vs. Sacramento (8): San Antonio won't have too many difficulties. Spurs in 4.

Phoenix (2) vs. Lakers (7): Kobe's dangerous, but his team is too weak. Suns in 5.

Denver (3) vs. Clippers (6): Probably the only remotely interesting series in the 1st round. Gotta go with the home court advantage on this one. Clips in 7.

Dallas (4) vs. Memphis (5): The NBA's screwed up seeding system means that Memphis gets booted out quickly for the 3rd straight year. Dallas in 5.

Detroit (1) vs. Milwaukee (8): Detroit will dispose of the Bucks with ease. Pistons in 4.

Miami (2) vs. Bulls (7): Miami will finish the Bulls easily. Heat in 4.

New Jersey (3) vs. Indiana (6): Indiana's dangerous but I don't think they have it together this year. Nets in 5.

Cleveland (4) vs. Washington (5): Washington is weak, but the Cavs are inexperienced. Cavs in 5.

2nd round -- some great series this round.

San Antonio (1) vs. Dallas (4): I'm rooting for Dallas to win this, but they can't get past Duncan. Spurs in 7.

Suns (2) vs. Clippers (6): The Suns have it pretty easy. Suns in 5.

Detroit (1) vs. Cleveland (4): LeBron could cause some damage but Detroit isn't in too much risk. Pistons in 6.

Miami (2) vs. New Jersey (3): The Heat have a real dogfight on their hands. Hopefully the Nets will put this one out. Heat in 7.

Conference Finals -- a bit of an anticlimax after the previous round.

San Antonio (1) vs. Phoenix (2): If Amare was playing this would be interesting (the Suns are better overall than last year), but San Antonio should cruise to the finals. Spurs in 5.

Detroit (1) vs. Miami (2): Much easier for Detroit this time around, though the Nets might put up more of a fight. Pistons in 6.

NBA Finals -- a rematch, but a different ending this time.

Detroit vs. San Antonio: I think Detroit's the better team this time, barring an injury to one of their starters. Hopefully Dallas makes it this far so we can stay awake long enough to find out who wins. Pistons in 7.

The only factor you left out is.... an injury.

Will Duncan get INJURED? Then Dallas might get by San Antonio.

Also, will the Heat have some MORE injuries?

Edited by Tjazz