NBA 2005-2006

The Bucks are for real this year.  That's nice to see.  What's up with the Pacers getting their butts handed to them by the Bobcats?!?!

:rofl:

Sorry Jim, had to bump this for posterity. I guess if you're going to have an 8-0 start snapped, you might as well do it in style. Yikes. Though to be fair to Detroit, it lost to one of the five or six best teams in the league playing on their home floor. At least it wasn't the Bobcats. And better to lose one game by almost 40 points than to lose 5 games by 8 pts apiece. We'll see the Pistons revert to their winning ways next week.

Guy

Edited by Guy

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I didn't see the game 'cos I was on the gig. I saw the score early and it was 3-9 Mavs. Saw it awhile later and it was 18-42 and I said, "WTF!?!" Did anybody see the game? Were the Pistons just lethargic or did the Mavs really do that good of a job shutting them down?

At least it wasn't the Bobcats.

;)

Yeah, I didn't see the game 'cos I was on the gig.  I saw the score early and it was 3-9 Mavs.  Saw it awhile later and it was 18-42 and I said, "WTF!?!"  Did anybody see the game?  Were the Pistons just lethargic or did the Mavs really do that good of a job shutting them down?

At least it wasn't the Bobcats.

;)

Sitting through that game was a pretty miserable experience. Dallas outplayed us at both ends of the court but were fun to watch.

I think that Flip is weak, coasting (so far) on the experience of the starting five. Playing more "the right way" and calling some time-outs to try to break up Dallas's momentum and to set up plays for the Pistons (ifff he knows how...) might have helped the Pistons cause.

Has anybody noticed, among the string of Detroit wins this season, the relative lack of second-chance points, for example? If that's part of the new offensive mindset, the Pistons could be in trouble. Other teams will get more in gear, and, despite Joe D's hopes and my dreams, the scoring droughts will probably return. Perhaps the offense needed to be freed up a bit, but the Pistons defense requires coaching too.

The bench: Looks like Darko will continue to be "Dorko". Like last year, Arroyo could be fading after a hopeful start. Delfino continues to be very disappointing. I hope that McDyess gets his groove back soon. Evans and Maxiell look promising.

Kwame's game is ugly, I don't know if he'll ever come around. He doesn't seem to be a player with a big basketball IQ, no natural hoop skills.

The youngster Bynum has real potential. Tyson Chandler welcomed him to the NBA with a crucial block of a dunk attempt in crunch time last night.

Between Duhon, Heinrich, and all the other young atheletes, the baby Bulls are a fun team to watch.

The schedule, despite its hecticness, has been pretty soft for the Warriors so it's a little premature to be going nuts over the 10-6 start but still -- this is nice! :) I don't think we've had a start this good, this far into the season, in a long time. It looks like Baron and Dunleavy Jr. are shaking off their early-season difficulties and Diogu is instantly contributing real numbers off the bench. Can't wait for the French Jordan to come back. Hopefully we'll actually beat a good team soon, though all the Pistons fans will have a chance to laugh at us when they visit the arena next week.

Guy

The schedule, despite its hecticness, has been pretty soft for the Warriors so it's a little premature to be going nuts over the 10-6 start but still -- this is nice! :) I don't think we've had a start this good, this far into the season, in a long time. It looks like Baron and Dunleavy Jr. are shaking off their early-season difficulties and Diogu is instantly contributing real numbers off the bench. Can't wait for the French Jordan to come back. Hopefully we'll actually beat a good team soon, though all the Pistons fans will have a chance to laugh at us when they visit the arena next week.

Guy

Baron still hasn't found his stroke from beyond the arc, but at least his leg is now allowing him to move around and break down some defenses (and make some DUNKS!

Diogu is playing with a lot of confidence, right out of the gate. What an addition he is in the middle. He can make a goddamn FT, too. :rolleyes:

Their defense continues to look better, and Biedrins is finally starting to wake up (he rebounded like a madman last night against NO/Okla City).

And I still think Derek Fisher makes a lot of dumb plays (in fact, Baron has been guilty of that in the last couple of games too), but he has been clutch with the 3's lately (drained 5 in the second half last night).

Yeah, 10-6 may not sound that great to most people, but after what WE'VE been through around here... well, you'll have to forgive us for getting all :crazy:

:lol:

:huh: The... :unsure: ... WARRIORS :rfr (Golden State) ... are in FIRST PLACE in the Pacific Division... for the first time since... 1992? :blink:

12-6 after downing the pesky Bobcats last night. Of course, we've got the Suns and the Pistons coming in next week, so... we'll see how long this lasts...

Bucks return to winning ways in last 2 games.

Now 8-6.

Tough division though.

Would be in first place in some divisions.

In last place in their division.

Yeah, it's a tough division. Though 4th or 5th place isn't terrible -- because of the new/stupid/unnecessary seeding policy induced by the realignment, being 2nd or 3rd in the division (=>4th or 5th seed in the conference, given the rest of the conference) means that you have very tough matchups in the 1st and 2nd rounds (Indiana or LeBron, then Detroit). 6th or 7th seeds, definitely within the Bucks' reach, are probably better.

In other news, the Warriors are (very temporarily) at the top of their division at 12-6. Granted, it's not as strong as the Central, and they haven't beaten many good teams, but gotta savor it while we can. Visits from Phoenix & Detroit late next week as well as an upcoming road trip back east should make things interesting, hopefully they will step up. (Whoops: I just saw that Jim beat me to the punch!)

It's worth bitching about the new division realignment one more time, or rather the seeding policy that comes with it. So stupid, I can't imagine that Stern will hang onto it for much longer. Can he? Stupid for two reasons:

1) The record-based seeds start lower than before (hence the perverse incentive to tank your games if you can't grab a division title). Whereas before even if you couldn't win your division, you still wanted to win the #3 seed to have 1st round homecourt and avoid the #1 team in the 2nd round, now you'd rather tank a little near the end in order to avoid facing the #4/#5 team (ex -- in the west this year it looks like they will be Dallas & Memphis). Better to play the #3 team, which could very conceivably have a worse record than you.

2) The divisions are smaller, so it's much likelier that a crappy team like the Nets or 76ers will grab a high seed, which feeds into the perverse incentives described in #1.

Fucking idiocy.

Guy

ps The Grizzlies are playing some incredible basketball right now -- they've won their past four games by an average of over 20 ppg. Who'da thunk it?

Edited by Guy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shocked, too. No really. No really. Ok, I'm not.

Nice win for the Pistons over the Clippers last night. They also got the Warriors... I noticed no comments from the Golden State fans here. :) I like how Dunleavy tried to employ the "hack-a-Shaq" on Ben Wallace (who promptly went 7 of 22 on free throws) with five minutes left in the game but it didn't matter.

Tonight Detroit takes on former teammate Mehmet Okur and the Jazz. I'll be watching!

Van Gundy steps down in Miami (the ever famous "more time with family reason"), and King Pat takes over..... I'm SCHOCKED!!

casablanca3.jpg

I love the fact that King Pat waited until Shaq comes back to take over -- what a jerk. :tdown

PS: I'm kind of schocked I couldn't spell shocked right! I even used the edit function and still blew it. That's California public eduction for you.

I'm shocked, too. No really. No really. Ok, I'm not.

Nice win for the Pistons over the Clippers last night. They also got the Warriors... I noticed no comments from the Golden State fans here. :) I like how Dunleavy tried to employ the "hack-a-Shaq" on Ben Wallace (who promptly went 7 of 22 on free throws) with five minutes left in the game but it didn't matter.

Not much to say. We lost to a much better team by a hair.

Guy

Re Pistons/Warriors- It was a fun game to watch. The W's played a very solid game for three quarters. We led after each of the first three breaks, by virtue of some good team ball and (finally) some impressive shooting from the floor (I forget what our FT% was, but it couldn't have been good, even if it was good ^_^ ). In the 4th, Davis, JRich and Fisher went more into the one-on-one mode, trying to answer each bucket by Billups and Hamilton (and Prince). The "I can do that too" mentality, instead of moving the ball around and keeping our flow going. Davis and JRich can pull that off much of the time, but Fisher forced up a couple of bad shots and also turned the ball over once during a stretch where the momentum totally reversed. Billups just killed us down the stretch.

Detroit is a better team (duh :)), but I think we probably should have taken them that night.