Poll: Yankees Atop the Wild Card

Now that its almost September, the Yanks  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, its been a long strange trip in the Bronx, but with 40 or so games to go, the Yanks lead the Wild Card and are 3.5 games back in the division. So, can they pull it out?

I didn't think they were as bad as they looked earlier, but with the continued injuries and the Unit looking every bit his age, I do think that if Wright and Chacon are effective down the stretch, they could very well make the play-offs, where I am sure all New Yorkers will remind us of the current streak of Wild Card winners taking it all.

I think the A's will right themselves, and go on to the Wild Card, with Cleveland having a really outside chance to sneak in. I wish I could answer by pushing options 3 & 4 -- you Eastcost people think the world revolves around you, when the world really revolves around the Westcoast. :P

I could enter a second vote for "fuck the Yankees and the Red Sox", though.

Jeez, we waited 86 years for as championship, and people are already hating us?

:(:(:(

I don't really hate the Red Sox. I just hate Curt Schilling and his santimonious, right wing, Bush lovin' idiocy. Put a cork in it would ya'?

I liked him better when he was on the Phillies.

I don't really hate the Red Sox.  I just hate Curt Schilling and his santimonious, right wing, Bush lovin' idiocy.  Put a cork in it would ya'?

Schilling doesn't speak for the Red Sox or the fans. His support of Bush was a big embarrassment to all of us. I'll cut him some slack, however, because he did help to win the championship. Whoever said baseball players had any brains, anyway? :huh:

I don't really hate the Red Sox.  I just hate Curt Schilling and his santimonious, right wing, Bush lovin' idiocy.  Put a cork in it would ya'?

Schilling doesn't speak for the Red Sox or the fans. His support of Bush was a big embarrassment to all of us. I'll cut him some slack, however, because he did help to win the championship. Whoever said baseball players had any brains, anyway? :huh:

His support of Bush was a big embarassment for some not "all of us".

Some of the fans have no problem with his political views.

Edited by Dan Gould

I think Mark and Al are referring to a fairly widespread perception that Sox fans were insufferable whiners before the big win. And perhaps also that non-Northeasterners considered the Sox and Yankees to be equally evil, for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Big Wheel

I think Mark and Al are referring to a fairly widespread perception that Sox fans were insufferable whiners before the big win.

Guilty! But we had a lot to whine about. Anybody remember the famous Sox/Mets series, and a certain Mr. Buckner? Until last year, many of us were angry at the Sox in ways outsiders probably couldn't understand.

Well, except for a few years, the Sox and Yankees have pretty much dominated the AL East. So that in itself could be the source of some resentment for people (with their big payroll, the Sox were considered as a junior Evil Empire to the Yankees). And some people probably felt like the other teams in the division/league didn't get any recognition in the press even when they had good years, because all the focus was always on the Sox-Yankees drama.

I think Mark and Al are referring to a fairly widespread perception that Sox fans were insufferable whiners before the big win.

Guilty! But we had a lot to whine about. Anybody remember the famous Sox/Mets series, and a certain Mr. Buckner? Until last year, many of us were angry at the Sox in ways outsiders probably couldn't understand.

I remember all of the above; just having some fun with you! :) I find neither team to be evil but the two or three baseball threads we have would seem to indicate there are only two teams in the league (except that lone Indian fan out there :D ).

m~

ps, just a little light hearted poking to stir the pot!

I remember all of the above; just having some fun with you! :)  I find neither team to be evil but the two or three baseball threads we have would seem to indicate there are only two teams in the league (except that lone Indian fan out there :D ).

m~

I know it's all in fun. Coverage of baseball in New England (where I live) of course revolves around the Yankees/Sox rivalry. Boston fans really love to hate them Yankees. Vendors sell "Yankees Suck" t-shirts outside Fenway Park.

I wasn't aware of the national picture, at least as to how the press covers things.

And some people probably felt like the other teams in the division/league didn't get any recognition in the press even when they had good years, because all the focus was always on the Sox-Yankees drama.

When the Rangers faced the Yankees in the first round of the playoffs in '96, the guys on ESPN could barely hold in their contempt for the Rangers. Their attitude was one of, "How dare these upstarts challenge our beloved Pinstripers? They are NOT worthy!"

Why do I hate the Yankee's & Redsox?????? Let me count the ways!!!!!!

1. Wade Boggs on a horse.

2. Manny's just being Manny.

3. Dave Winfield, Mr. April.

4. "How tragic, Donnie Baseball never got to play in the World Series :( BFD!

5. "If only Buckner had caught the ball." Dent homerun would've been caught anywhere else."

6. Arod, Jeeter & King George.

And many, many, many, more reasons. :P

Why do I hate the Yankee's & Redsox??????  Let me count the ways!!!!!!

1. Wade Boggs on a horse.

2. Manny's just being Manny.

3. Dave Winfield, Mr. April.

4. "How tragic, Donnie Baseball never got to play in the World Series  :(  BFD!

5. "If only Buckner had caught the ball."  Dent homerun would've been caught anywhere else."

6. Arod, Jeeter & King George.

And many, many, many, more reasons. :P

Manny is a putz, but I think his behavior is being orchestrated by his handlers.

The game was lost before the ball sailed through Buckner's legs - that just put a cap on it.

I remember all of the above; just having some fun with you! :)   I find neither team to be evil but the two or three baseball threads we have would seem to indicate there are only two teams in the league (except that lone Indian fan out there :D ).

m~

I know it's all in fun. Coverage of baseball in New England (where I live) of course revolves around the Yankees/Sox rivalry. Boston fans really love to hate them Yankees. Vendors sell "Yankees Suck" t-shirts outside Fenway Park.

I wasn't aware of the national picture, at least as to how the press covers things.

I was just in Boston a few weeks ago for a game....here is my favorite from the vendors outside Fenway!

Edited by sheldonm