WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

Now granted the Swiss *never* are fans of the German team, but now following only losely some games, some statements of Klinsmann etc. and witnessing the new and totally sympathic spirit of that team, I indeed wish them luck, too.

All the contrary, here, my KING.

In my view, what the football/ soccer's world doesn't NEED today is another GERMAN victory, deserved or not.

Maybe some of you has already forget HOW the german got the organisation of this cup who, normally, should have been organised by SOUTH-AFRICA.

So, sorry but I'm rooted for the three other teams, what so ever.

FRANCE first, of course, but ITALIA also and, yes, yes, PORTUGAL if it is that team who reach the final (what I'm not specially hopping).

If you blame FIFA etc. for not keeping politics out of the game, you shouldn't say we don't need a German championship - for political considerations just the same. If that was right, there would be no need for the topurnament but the "politically correct" team could be elected. This is not a Nobel Prize, but a world cup, and those who score get it. You can't blame the German team for the political background.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you blame FIFA etc. for not keeping politics out of the game, you shouldn't say we don't need a German championship - for political considerations just the same. If that was right, there would be no need for the topurnament but the "politically correct" team could be elected. This is not a Nobel Prize, but a world cup, and those who score get it. You can't blame the German team for the political background.

I don't know what the terme POLITICS cames to do, here.

The GERMAN has play a trick to get gthis WC. Period.

And by the way, I WRITE WHAT I WANT WHERE I WANT.

This fact is A COMPLETE part of this WC.

I've no sympaty for the GERMAN team what so ever.

I don't find that they play a "pretty" football. They attack, yes but I've don't seen much creativity.

Attack doesn't always means great football

What I've seen doesn't seduce me particularly.

They play at home, it's an advantage that every team who plays at home are the beneficiary.

They have reache the semis what is enough good for me.

So I'll rephrase my feeling for this evening game:

GO ITALIA, GO!!!

So, it's okay like that?

even if the possibility for the ref. to make any kind of intervention has ended with the match.

not so. FIFA rules, law #12:

[...]

Disciplinary Sanctions

Only a player or substitute or substituted player may be shown the red or yellow card.

The referee has the authority to take disciplinary sanctions, as from the moment he enters the field of play until he leaves the field of play after the final whistle.

[...]

Guest Chaney

Quick question: Today's game is at 3:00 my time? (New York) Is an internet feed available? (I've never before watched a game but thought I might and, with only rabbit ears, my TV is useless.)

After extra time: Germany 0, Italy 2

Italy through to the final on Sunday. Germany play for 3rd place on Saturday.

Great game; not a classic, but very gripping. The better team won, with two wonderful goals.

(Edited to correct a spelling error)

Edited by J.A.W.

After extra time: Germany 0, Italy 2

Italy though to the final on Sunday. Germany play for 3rd place on Saturday.

Great game; not a classic, but very gripping. The better team won, with two wonderful goals.

What a fine game ! Two very well matched sides but Italy just had that extra 'magic ingredient X' and created two wonderful goals in the very last minutes. Sorry for Germany - Klinsmann very sporting in applauding the winning goal. I guess the meltdown today in the Italian League will go on the back burner after this result ! :D

Edited by sidewinder

The better team won

Yes, but it could have gone either way I think. Both teams had their moments, Italy some very boring ones. In the end the change to two forwards put Germany into trouble. Great tactic move that was. For once a fine game to watch, including a fine ref.

The better team won

Yes, but it could have gone either way I think. Both teams had their moments, Italy some very boring ones. In the end the change to two forwards put Germany into trouble. Great tactic move that was. For once a fine game to watch, including a fine ref.

Not to detract from Germany's excellent performance, but in my view Italy was the better team and had the better chances throughout the game. I didn't see those boring Italian moments. The referee was excellent indeed; he made refreshingly few mistakes.

Edited by J.A.W.

The better team won

Not to detract from Germany's excellent game, but in my view Italy was the better team and had the better chances throughout the game. I didn't see those boring Italian moments. The referee was excellent indeed; he made refreshingly few mistakes.

the Italians fell back into their boring defensive-with-long-balls-to-the-guy-waiting-up-front game when Germany turned up the pressure, especially during the second half. Maybe boring is the wrong word as it was exciting to watch. Just not the kind of play I like too much. The first half wasn't that spiffy as it was in the end yet another tactical stalemate; hardly any balls broke through the defense on either side. Good to watch as the midfield play was good on both sides, but there were maybe three or four minor chances during the entire first half.

Edited by couw

The better team won

Not to detract from Germany's excellent game, but in my view Italy was the better team and had the better chances throughout the game. I didn't see those boring Italian moments. The referee was excellent indeed; he made refreshingly few mistakes.

the Italians fell back into their boring defensive-with-long-balls-to-the-guy-waiting-up-front game when Germany turned up the pressure, especially during the second half. Maybe boring is the wrong word as it was exciting to watch. Just not the kind of play I like too much. The first half wasn't that spiffy as it was in the end yet another tactical stalemate; hardly any balls broke through the defense on either side. Good to watch as the midfield play was good on both sides, but there were maybe three or four minor chances during the entire first half.

The game had its tactical moments indeed, but it was on a high level and I never find that boring :)

The better team won

Not to detract from Germany's excellent performance, but in my view Italy was the better team and had the better chances throughout the game. I didn't see those boring Italian moments. The referee was excellent indeed; he made refreshingly few mistakes.

I agree. I thought that Germany played okay overall, but they wasted some good opportunities. Podolski had a couple of excellent chances; several of Odonkor's counter-attack crosses were of poor quality; and Ballack... he looked tired and uninspired to me throughout. Fairly efficient, but also very slow, and he didn't get forward often enough to take shots himself. I think the loss of Frings hurt them in the midfield... maybe more than I expected.

Italy didn't play a great game, but enough to get the job done. I don't know how the german defense gives Grosso that much room in the box (still a great finish, though).

The refereeing has improved steadily, which is a great relief after the way things went in the first round.

[To Sidewinder... I didn't think Klinsmann was applauding Grosso's goal. By clapping, I thought he was trying to summon enthusiasm and courage among his players with the clock running out]