WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

I wouldn't say McBride screwed up to disallow the goal, but is was unusual he is very good in traffic in the box and very rarely is caught in an offside position.

I wasn't suprised to see Beasley, at least on the left. I think his days on the right side are history!

Edited by scottb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the USA-Italy game. Damn!

On a different topic, the England manager is talking baout resting players who are on yellow cards for the third group game. But I thought all cards were cancelled at the end of the group stage. Am I right? If so, what is the point of resting players?

I think De Rossi deserves banning for the rest of the tournament, by the way.

Back for just a minute or so for this one:

1 yellow card will be cancelled after the group phase

2 or more yellow cards in the group phase -> suspension in the knock-out phase.

I'm off again.

Got it! Thanks! :tup

what a poor game between Croatia and Japan. they both should be eliminated

Portugal could be a dangerous team specially because of Scolari's knowledge on knock-out rounds

yesterday Italy didn't played that well but i think the US team played what they could showing courage and energy. sadly the lack of experience of some US players ruined the one man advantage.

Marcello Lippi admitted later that his team believed it would be an easy task to defeat USA and now Italy will have to fight against the Czechs

Brazil once again did not played well and the Socceroos are very untalented players

now i'm preparing myself for the upcoming poor performance from Domenech's tired warriors....

Marcus

Very good defense by Australia but helped some by Brasil's failure to cross accurately. Hopefully, Australia will go through. They deserve to do so.

Ronaldo again invisible, just mostly standing around. Will the decision be to not start him?

For those of you not in the US, you're lucky not to have to listen to the U.S. play by play of Dave O'Brien. God, is he awful.

I'm watching the France match and the noise is just amazing. It must be awesome to be there. They showed the Staples Center in LA. They opened it up to Korean fans to watch the match and the place is full! People lined up at 3 am to get in. Awesome!

I am still fuming.... :angry: The 2nd goal for France was so obvious. Only the referees didn't see that the ball had crossed the line by a yard. I can't believe we have blown it again. The booking for Zidane was a bad joke and so was the South Korean goal.... :rcry What a disappointment.

Edited by ASNL77

I agree with you. It's a big disappointment. I'm assuming Switzerland and France will both beat Togo so that may leave it up to Korea Switzerland. Here's hoping Korea helps Les Bleues like they helped the US in 2002.

This is a brilliant typing error Brad. A lot of French people would agree with your spelling. ;) I hope you are right about South Korea helping France but I am expecting the worst for the French now. We are having a bad run, luck does not seem to be on our side, the coach is very confusing and the players have lost the spark they had in 1998 and 2000. It is the end of an era. Hopefully, it won't end on a humiliation inflicted by Togo. I could live with crashing out of the tournament having lost to Spain or the Ukraine in the second round but Togo...... :( (No disrespect to Togo)

Edited by ASNL77

Croatia vs Japan- a very odd game, with a minumum of midfield build-up and frantic defending. I think the heat really was too much for the players.

Brazil vs Australia- I was impressed by Australia, especially in the first half, and not so impressed by Ronaldinho, who seemed to be emulating the laziness of Ronaldo. He was playing a bit like Zidane is currently playing (certainly nothing shameful, but Ronaldinho should be able to do more running than that). The second half was a different story, with the Brazilians asserting themselves.

France vs Korea- France started off much better than they had done against the Swiss, with more cohesion, intelligence, and effort. There were still too many poor plays by Wiltord, Viera, and probably a few others. Obviously, as it turned out they needed a second goal, and they probably should have gotten it while they were controlling the game. I began to doze off midway through the second half (getting too old to sit through 3 matches in a row :rolleyes: ), but I did see the yellow card given to Zidane. Utterly absurd. This is getting out of control, imo.

Brad, Dave O'Brien is probably improving somewhat, but you're right- he's still awful. I also think Balboa is awful as an analyst. He doesn't make intelligent observations, and he's incapable of speaking clearly. It's an absolute joke to have those two guys as the "lead" announcers for the WC.

if you protest, you risk a card. That is the authoritarian way of FIFA.

Sepp is one corrupt guy, I tell you! His name should be added in the dictionnary of synonyms! But that was so ridiculous!

Why don't the referees get any help from some additional referees viewing the tv images? This is not stone age any longer!

if you protest, you risk a card. That is the authoritarian way of FIFA.

I assume there's nothing to be done after the fact. In baseball you can play a game uner protest if you don't agree with a decision and the game continue with review made a few days after the game. I've never heard of one being upheld however.

I'm watching the France match and the noise is just amazing. It must be awesome to be there. They showed the Staples Center in LA. They opened it up to Korean fans to watch the match and the place is full! People lined up at 3 am to get in. Awesome!

I was there.

It was awesome!

The Korean supporters were fantastic - the best atmosphere of any game I've been to. None of the macho posturing bullshit we get here in England - just 43,000 people having a great time.

The Koreans definitely have some great fans. My only problem is that song they sing. I think it may be even more annoying than that old Houston Oilers fight song (a lot of you won't know what I'm talking about, and believe me... you're lucky ^_^ ).

Well, I skipped the Togo/Switzerland game. The Swiss goals looked great on replay, fwiw.

Ukraine... finally showed why they advanced out of their qualifying group. A nice display, if against a weak opponent.

Spain... well, you could see that result coming from a mile away, right? Tunisia went into a defensive shell even before half-time (rightly or wrongly is debateable, but I think it was foolish), and like Poland in the final minutes against Germany they endured wave after wave of attacks. Even when they attempted to possess the ball, they gave it away as though they were confident that they could hold off the Spaniards indefinitely. Well, either way, I suppose they never really had a chance. Nice to see Raul get the equalizer.

I hope Ecuador will at least give the Germans a good game tomorrow. I expect Germany will be too much for them, though.

England/Sweden should be entertaining.

A few thoughts about USA/Italy.

De Rossi deserves anything FIFA will decide and the managers of italian team already said that they will not object. Jumping with opens arms is one of the bad habits we have in Italy, because our referees usually don't intervene, a bad habit of italian referees.

The referee of the match strictly applyed the FIFA rules, and, as someone here pointed out, without exceptions towards USA and Italy.

Considering Spain/Tunisia I thought that, after the italian player scored the second goal (to the wrong team!) and the referee did his job, we should have play like Spain, but we weren't able to do it.

Overall the result is correct, and I think US played a good match, better then Italy.

I putted ten euros on US victory in this game for luck. I lost the money and Italy played bad. Anyway I didn't commit suicide. Nobody did it. Italian supporters are very disillusioned after the italian football scandal.

A last thought, everytimes we played a bad first tournment, the team growned during the championship, so I have no true forecast about us.

The real WC starts now.

Edited by porcy62

The Koreans definitely have some great fans. My only problem is that song they sing. I think it may be even more annoying than that old Houston Oilers fight song (a lot of you won't know what I'm talking about, and believe me... you're lucky ^_^ ).

Well, I skipped the Togo/Switzerland game. The Swiss goals looked great on replay, fwiw.

Ukraine... finally showed why they advanced out of their qualifying group. A nice display, if against a weak opponent.

Spain... well, you could see that result coming from a mile away, right? Tunisia went into a defensive shell even before half-time (rightly or wrongly is debateable, but I think it was foolish), and like Poland in the final minutes against Germany they endured wave after wave of attacks. Even when they attempted to possess the ball, they gave it away as though they were confident that they could hold off the Spaniards indefinitely. Well, either way, I suppose they never really had a chance. Nice to see Raul get the equalizer.

I hope Ecuador will at least give the Germans a good game tomorrow. I expect Germany will be too much for them, though.

England/Sweden should be entertaining.

Yeah - I remarked to my friend that the only way to enjoy that song was probably to be there! Mind you, in fairness, they're pretty indiscriminate. That song alternated with 'Three Lions', 'Vindaloo' (if you don't know that one, likewise, don't ask ;) ), and Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy'...

I actually thought Togo looked quite good. It was an entertaining game, although they were denied an absolutely cast iron penalty.

Quite agree about Spain - you could certainly see it coming.