Howard McGhee

mrjazzman

A recording I like very much is TEDDY EDWARDS-HOWARD MCGHEE - TOGETHER AGAIN - CONTEMPORARY. This one has a fine rhythm section of Phineas Newborn,Jr, Ray Brown, and Ed Thigpen.

His other Contemporary album "Maggie's Back In Town" is a long time favorite of mine. His playing in this period (early 1960's) displays fewer pyrotechnics, but is very solid.

Plus that Shakespeare cat is just so slow! I mean Lucas has finished the whole 6 episodes of Star Wars, Will has still not got Henry IV part 3 ready, and still no prequel to Hamlet....

Well, if you don't have any talent at all with words, then the work goes a lot quicker.

• 2 years later...

I had a chance to hear another one of McGhee's comeback albums, "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" recently. The organ playing didn't strike me as *that* bad (see this earlier thread).

It's mostly just a couple of songs for trumpet w/accompaniment, all songs short, McGhee in nice mellow mood, half of the songs McGhee's backed by Jimmy Jones (p), Ron Carter (b), Arthur Taylor (d) and on the other half by Phil Porter (org), Larry Ridley (b), Dave Bailey (d).

And it has a nice cover!

16590.jpg

I had a chance to hear another one of McGhee's comeback albums, "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" recently. The organ playing didn't strike me as *that* bad (see this earlier thread).

It's mostly just a couple of songs for trumpet w/accompaniment, all songs short, McGhee in nice mellow mood, half of the songs McGhee's backed by Jimmy Jones (p), Ron Carter (b), Arthur Taylor (d) and on the other half by Phil Porter (org), Larry Ridley (b), Dave Bailey (d).

And it has a nice cover!

16590.jpg

This is one of my least favorite recordings by Howard McGhee. I found it rather dull. I would suggest only getting this one if you have all the other ones recommended in this thread and are a Howard McGhee completist. I sold my copy some time ago.

• 2 months later...
Guest Bill Barton

Does anyone here happen to know if the Howard McGhee-Teddy Edwards album Young at Heart was ever reissued? This was recorded in the 1970s and issued on Lars Johannsen's Jazzcraft label from Denmark. The companion album Wise in Time was reissued on Storyville and I recently picked up a copy of that one. Neither one is Maggie at his best, but - for old times sake - I wouldn't mind locating a copy of Young at Heart as I wrote the liner notes back when I was young and volatile and way more opinionated than I am now. :rolleyes:

Guest Bill Barton

Thanks, Tom!

That definitely answers my question as to whether it was reissued on Storyville.

Checking on All Music, it doesn't look like it ever made it to CD...

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

yes bill barx, you seem very mellow. i cannot imagine you not "digging" something...
:mellow:

Well, it's not prime Maggie but I do dig it for what it is. There's plenty I don't dig, though. The short list: Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, Dave Brubeck, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, most vocalists and fucking smooth jazz. :D

Does anyone here happen to know if the Howard McGhee-Teddy Edwards album Young at Heart was ever reissued? This was recorded in the 1970s and issued on Lars Johannsen's Jazzcraft label from Denmark. The companion album Wise in Time was reissued on Storyville and I recently picked up a copy of that one. Neither one is Maggie at his best, but - for old times sake - I wouldn't mind locating a copy of Young at Heart as I wrote the liner notes back when I was young and volatile and way more opinionated than I am now. :rolleyes:

Bill,

Actually, the CD Storyville STCD 8272 includes both sessions - "Wise In Time" and "Young At Heart".

Guest Bill Barton

Bill,

Actually, the CD Storyville STCD 8272 includes both sessions - "Wise In Time" and "Young At Heart".

Thanks, Peter!!!!! For some reason when I Googled this stuff it didn't come up.