Japanese releases, September-October 2005

J.A.W.

The following CDs are scheduled for release.

* means cardboard sleeve

On September 25, 2005

MSI POPMA 32(New) Miyama,Toshiyuki/Swingin' Style 2625

On September 28, 2005

Warner Music WPCR 12183(New) Hancock,Herbie(p)/Possiblities 2580

Warner Music WPCR 12163(New) Metheny,Pat(g)/Song X(20th Anniversary) 2680

On October 5, 2005

3D System MTCJ 3023(New) Miwa,Yoko(p)/In the Mist of Time 2500

On October 19, 2005

3D System MTCJ 3024(New) Kuhn,Steve(p)/Kuhn/LaFaro 1960 2500

3D System MTCJ 3025(New) Saisse,Philippe(p)/Body & Soul 2625

3D System MTCJ 5024(New) De Wilde,Laurent(p)/Open Changes 2625

3D System MTCJ 6006(Atlantic)New Konitz,Lee(as)/Inside Hi Fi* 2415

3D System MTCJ 6007(Embryo)New Carter,Ron(b)/Uptown Conversation* 2415

3D System MTCJ 6008(Atlantic)New Marsh,Warne(as)/Warne Marsh* 2415

3D System MTCJ 1085(New) Yoshida,Jiro(g)/Made in New York 2800

3D System MTCJ 1086(New) Koonse,Dave(g) & Larry(g)/Father & Son 2500

3D System MTCJ 1087(New) Ohashi,Mika(vo)/Sweet Conversation 2800

3D System QSCA 1025(New) Stone Alliance/Con Amigo 2200

3D System QSCA 1026(New) Stone Alliance/Heads Up 2200

3D System FNCJ 5510(New) Postma,Tineka/For the Rhythm 2500

3D System WNCJ 2154(New) Yoshida Heiichi/I'm Gonna Be Happy 2800

3D System WNCJ 2155(New) Sasaki,Akio/Grand in Blue 2800

3D System WNCJ 2156(New) Taguchi,Teiji/One for Seven 2800

3D System WNCJ 2157(New) Harada,Syuntaro/Continuation 2800

3D System RKCJ 2016(New) Shimazu,Kenichi/All Kinds of Ballads 2500

On October 21, 2005

DIW B 06(New) Takayanagi,Masayuki/Dislocation 2730

DIW B 07(New) Takayanagi,Masayuki/A Jazzy Profile of Jojo 2940

On October 26, 2005

Venus TKCV 35355(New)24bit Hazeltine,David(p)/Cleopatra's Dream 2800

Edited by J.A.W.

The Hazeltine is mentioned in this article. All of his Venus cds are wonderful.

Put in an order for 'Cleopatra's Dream' this morning.

Arranger puts his spin on others' songs

Trio, led by pianist, to salute pioneers Friday, August 05, 2005

BY ZAN STEWART

Star-Ledger Staff

David Hazeltine is a formidable composer and protean pianist with a luxuriant sound. He's also a consummate arranger who champions other musicians' songs.

His two most recent CDs -- 2004's "Close to You" (Criss Cross) and the just-out "Modern Standards" (Sharp Nine) -- variously showcase works by Burt Bacharach (a Hazeltine favorite), Lennon-McCartney and Henry Mancini. Distinctive Hazeltine arrangements give the songs unique spins.

"I'm a firm believer in presenting music to an audience," said Hazeltine, 47, who lives in Long Island City, Queens. "There should be a nice little package. The melodies should be recognizable, but there should be surprising moments, not the same old thing you've heard a thousand times."

Hazeltine, bass dynamo George Mraz and West Orange-based drum master Billy Drummond appear Friday and Saturday at Smoke Jazz Club and Lounge in New York.

The pianist also has been commissioned by the Japanese Venus label to ply his arranging talents to the works of Horace Silver, Plainfield native Bill Evans, and bop pioneer Bud Powell. 2001's "Señor Blues" and 2002's "Waltz for Debby" salute Silver and Evans, respectively. "Cleopatra's Dream," out this fall, honors Powell.

Selections by Powell and Evans, as seen though Hazeltine's eyes, will be explored at Smoke by the threesome that made "Waltz for Debby" and the Powell album.

Of Powell's music, Hazeltine said, "It's challenging to play. He makes it sound so easy, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty, it's difficult, but it's timeless."

Powell was the premier pianist of the bebop language in the music's nascent 1940s. Hazeltine, a Milwaukee native, has been listening to him since he was a 15-year-old novice jazz player. "I got into Bud through Charlie Parker," said the pianist who has gone to work with such notables as James Moody and Jon Faddis, and as an esteemed leader.

"The way Bud played Bird, while it wasn't Parker verbatim, changed the language of bebop to fit the piano better. And through Bud, I was introduced to (Weehawken resident) Barry Harris, who is one of my favorites."

A Powell tune that the trio will perform at Smoke is "Cleopatra's Dream," a two-chord vamp tune that Hazeltine has outfitted with a bossa nova groove. "That made it interesting, and the way George and Billy treat it gives it a little modern edge," said Hazeltine. Another Powell item will be "Dance of the Infidels," "a classic remake of the blues."

Evans is also a core Hazeltine influence. "He was one of the fathers of modern jazz harmony on the piano," he said. "The way he orchestrates chords on the piano is beautiful. He's very impressionistic, drawing from the Ravel and Debussy schools."

Hazeltine said that one Evans jazz standard the trio will surely offer is "Waltz for Debby." "Bill did some very interesting things harmonically with it that I duplicated, like playing the intro in one key, and the song in another, and playing the Chopinesque ending," he said.

Additionally, the trio plans to play Hazeltine's "For Bill," loosely based on the standard "Who Cares?," and his "This One's for Bud," based on "Just You, Just Me."

Working with Mraz and Drummond will be a joy for Hazeltine, for these are partners he clearly reveres. "They're a great combination, so tasty," he said. "George's intonation is perfect, his sense of swing profound. Billy's got a fine swing feel, a little more modern, but I dig it."

Hazeltine was originally an organist but switched to piano because of its "limitless possibilities. "It gives me so much freedom," he said. "I feel like I'm in the driver's seat, especially in a trio."

© 2005 The Star Ledger

© 2005 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.