Two Cannonball Sides out today...

Peter Johnson

Nat made a nice (but not great) quartet recording titled "Naturally' for Jazzland. It featured 2 different rhythm sections. Half the tracks had Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones. The other half had Joe Zawinul, Sam Jones, and Louis Hayes.

My personal taste does not go to the later "electrified, overly commercial" Cannonball recordings.

I like just about everything by Cannonball in his early days beginning with the the Savoy and on through the Riverside days. However, I prefer his band when Yusef Lateef and Joe Zawinul were in the group. To the best of my knowledge there were 5 CDs released by that Cannonball Sextet.

Jazz Workshop Revisited

Dizzy's Business

In New York

Nippon Soul

Lugano 1963

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter, I hear ya', but neither of these new releases are electrified, nor are they overly commercial. Both have the obligatory soul-jazz pieces (played the way those type things should be played, imo), but both are also basically the type of thing that somebody who doesn't like electrified and/or overly commercial Cannonball ought to enjoy just fine. Plenty of straight-ahead playing on both.

Now, it's geek time - why is the label on both these the turquoise, "dome" variant of a Capitol label? Where's the good ol' "rainbow" label?

However, I prefer his band when Yusef Lateef and Joe Zawinul were in the group. To the best of my knowledge there were 5 CDs released by that Cannonball Sextet.

Jazz Workshop Revisited

Dizzy's Business

In New York

Nippon Soul

Lugano 1963

plus the just reissued (but not on CD, at least not over here...) "Cannonball in Europe!", a terrific live album, maybe - together with "Nippon Soul" my favourite Cannonball recording!

Well, I've listened to both these new releases a few times.

Have to say. . . and it will upset a few probably. . .I become less and less an Oliver Nelson fan as time goes by. . . I just don't want to relisten to a lot of the material he has arranged and conducted.

But I've always liked Domination because of Cannon and the energy and verve he brings, charged by all that sound around him. And Experience in E. . . why did they have to mess with the tapes and remove parts? :angry: I haven't heard the original with the synth parts, but I sure would have liked to be able to! It's still a great piece that I enjoy a lot . . . .

Money in the Pocket is a real gem. Herbie Lewis! Working band doing what they do best! This one I'm going to play and play.

Perhaps my all-time favorite Cannonball Capitol album has not been released on cd to date - not sure why. Any of you hip to the "Live!" album from 1964 - Capitol ST2399? This session at the Manne-Hole is SMOKING! PLUS - one of my favorite ballads - "The Song My Lady Sings" - is rendered here with superlative beauty! Features Cannon, Lloyd, Nat, Zawinul, Sam Jones, & Louis Hayes...A MUST HAVE, IMO! :)

"Live in Europe" is quite good - and the audience response IS awesome!

Edited by LarryCurleyMoe

I just d/l the two sides from iTunes and am digging them both. Hearing all that audience chatter on "Money.." makes me not feel quite so bad about people talking through my own gigs! If they can't shut up for Cannonball...

Time for me to be the "TURD IN THE PUNCH BOWL".

I got a Japanese import of Cannonball with Strings about 15 years ago, and everytime I hear him take that burning break on "Surrey with the Fringe on Top", the phrase "polishing a turd" comes to mind. Anyone else?

--Glenn

Perhaps my all-time favorite Cannonball Capitol album has not been released on cd to date - not sure why.  Any of you hip to the "Live!" album from 1964 - Capitol ST2399?  This session at the Manne-Hole is SMOKING!  PLUS - one of my favorite ballads - "The Song My Lady Sings" - is rendered here with superlative beauty!  Features Cannon, Lloyd, Nat, Zawinul, Sam Jones, & Louis Hayes...A MUST HAVE, IMO! :)

You are making me very sad. :(

• 2 months later...

Just got done w/Money..., and all I can say is that most of the people who post here are going to want this one. It ain't "perfect", but it damn sure is GOOD.

Ignore it at you peril!

I just heard Money in the Pocket for the first time, and that strikes me as one hell of an understatement. Forget perfect. How about pure dynamite? The whole disc smokes, but Cannonball's solo on "Here Me Takin' to Ya" has instantly become a personal favorite. Can rhythmic nuances on the blues get any deeper than that!!!???? Wholly shit!

I've had these albums for a couple of months now and "Money" is really HOT!

I'm a great fan of Nat; I don't think he was second to Cannon because he was "less talented". I think it was because of the kind of person he was. First, he chose to use the cornet, which is a softer instrument than trumpet. Second, if you listen to the albums he made towards the end of his life - particularly "Workin'" - you'll find him taking second place to Vincent Herring, despite the fact that it was Nat's band! As Cannon said, he came from a very distinguished family. :)

I can't recollect any other band that was so together, musically and personally as the Adderleys, with the exception of Houston Person and Etta Jones bands, over a period of over 30 years. Seeing them live was wonderful. Hearing them live on the "A night in Roppungi" album that I got a few months ago is just as good.

MG

I second the above recommendation for his Capitol "live" at Shelly's Manne-Hole, and can't figure out how this has been overlooked. And, while the recent "Money" is a good one (especially for the change-of-pace song selection), those sticks are a real distraction. Think I might prefer that Japanese concert from about the same time.

• 2 years later...

I second everything Jim says below. This is a great recording. No frills, not the typical contrived jazz "live album", but just a great band in action doing what they do best.

Dang! Still haven't gotten mine! But good things are worth waiting for!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll be well-pleased by Money..., I assure you. It's live and unedited. wink.gif Virtually screams WORKING BAND IN ACTION!!!! if you know what I mean (and I know that you do). This is right at the time when Ball began to open up harmonically, and if there's not a lot of it going on, there's enough to notice. There's also a heretofore unheard Zawinul composition that has a Mingus-y/early-Shorter quality to it. Pretty interesting historical find, that one is. But overall, the attraction is just the energy and the good vibe. These fools didn't goof on nothin', they just played it all really, REALLY, well. And play it all they did - the balance of presentation is impeccable. From bossa to boogaloo to hardass uptempo burns to standard balladry to progressive, it's all hear, and it all sounds just so damn FINE. God bless Cannonball Adderley, and God bless working bands, if any still exist.

But - you'll probably be less well-pleased when you read in the liner notes what else was on the tapes and din't get released here...