hum Dono - Amancio D'Silva

Yes, I've heard that BGO are about to reissue it on CD (not a limited release) but not sure about the timing. The original Columbia Lansdowne LP is now an extremely rare item. it was released under both Harriott and D'Silva's joint names and was actually Joe Harriott's last full leader date.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I can tell you that there is as yet no date for Joe Harriot & Amancio D'Silva's Hum Dono...and I'd expect to be informed. It will not be on BGO records...that was a myth as far as I can tell. The only folk who can tell us are Universal. As for the limited edition....whatever it was, it was not legit....I'd be interested to know though what that was...if it was. Certainly were no artist royalties involved. Best to wait for the real thing. I'm sure it's comming.

Any news I get will be posted on:

http://www.amanciodsilva.com

Very best,

Stephano D'Silva

Guest akanalog

not to hijack. but i found a d'silva disc in a local store the other day-not sure if it is totally legit.

it is called cosmic eye and the album is called "dream sequence". or perhaps it is reversed.

but it is pretty cool. a little psychedelic rock-ey. a suite of connected little pieces.

not familiar with most of the other musicians, but a pretty cool album if you find it.

I think that 'Cosmic Eye' album originates from the early 1970s, after the run of Lansdowne/Columbia albums. Not aware of any 'legit' issue on CD.

Update :- just checked the D'Silva site and I see that it was produced by Dennis Preston of Lansdowne and issued on Regal Zonophone on the original LP. Around the same time as Neil Ardley's 'Symphony of Aramanths'. I suspect that Universal have the rights to this and there has certainly been no 'legit' Universal UK issue. Sounds dodgy.. :tdown

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

akanalog hi,

any chance you could tell me where you found the cosmic eye cd (assume you meant a cd)...as I'd like to know who's issuing it. Won't be giving your local store a hard time, just asking for distributor. Means a fair bit to me, as my father saw almost zero royalties on that L.P. and the idea that someone has been pirating it is not so nice...not that EMI were sweethearts. No sweat if you can't, but really appreciate if you could.

Thanks,

Steph D'Silva

Hopefully a 'legit' issue of the Cosmic Eye will be released, Steph, and your father's estate will get the rightful royalties. I for one would love to hear it. :tup

Any idea roughly how many vinyls of the 'Integration' and 'Hum Dono' actually sold on Columbia Lansdowne? Neither LP can have been around for too long when they came out.

hi sidewinder,

I reckon they only pressed a couple of thousand of each album, that's all I know.

Gotta say, very nice hearing such nice things about these records from folks here like yourself.

I'll check back and add any info on releases also, as I get it...assuming I do.

Be so nice if they'd release Hum Dono...I know there's a demand enough for it by now...not least because it's Joe's last.

All the best for now.

Steph

(p.s....just a quick cheeky plug....SUNRISE, a band lead by myself on guitar, are getting started on a string of London dates, and further afield soon....don't expect to hear my dad though!...can see dates via my drummer's site....www.groovesguru.com, what a plug!)

Thanks Steph !

I figured it was around a thousand or so of these albums. If only I had a time machine to go back to 1968/69 and buy them all for 35s 6p each in A1 nick !

Look forward to checking out your band at some time, good luck. :tup PS - I caught your gig at the 'Jazz Britannia'. That version of 'Jaipur' was truly excellent.

Guest akanalog

i am sorry i seem to have purchased an illicit release of your father's disc and i appreciate your attempts to get some compensation for yourself from your father's work but i think i know how the shady side of the music industry goes and i am not trying to get shanked by some armenian or chinese gangsters. also having friends who have had to narc on friends and neighbors in this country's war on drugs and the pain and humiliation they have felt and how they can't even go into a bar here in new york without some hippie calling them out for being a narc and asking for them to be thrown out for getting so and so locked up, let me just say that your post led me to do my own easy internet research (i just googled "cosmic eye dream sequence") and it seems there is a known and acknowledged bootleg of the disc in question out there and this seems to be the one and i have and i guess apparently it is mastered from vinyl and the pitch is signifigantly off. please know if there is an official release of this album (or hum dono) i will be first in line to pick them up. respect.

• 3 weeks later...

hey akanalog, that's cool....and I hear what you are saying...fairplay. Most of all, glad YOU got the music.

I'll let you know by way of this site, or bookmark www.amanciodsilva.com for news as we get it.

best....Steph

Guest akanalog

no but steph really-i purchased this disc and then wondered what i had purchased and a simple google search got me the info that this was an improper and off-pitch release. the info is out there.

i mean i will definitely buy an official release of this album and hum dono if and when they come out. if i had known this was an off-pitch boot i would not have bought it. i have the music, but it is remastered from vinyl it sounds like to boot so i know i could have a better quality product.