Album of the Week July 20 to July 26

Brad

Also in the same issue:

News about Atlantic Records 25th aniversary & Dexter Gordon's 50th birthday bash; a brief profile of Columbia Records Vice-President of Marketing, Bruce Lundvall, in conjunction with the release of CLIFFORD BROWN: THE BEGINNING AND THE END, the JAZZ AT THE PLAZA albums, the Byas/Powell date produced by Cannonball, and a few other things, including a "Stan Getz LP made up of both previously released and unreleased stuff from a Bob Brookmeyer date that also included Herbie Hancock, Gary Burton, Ron Carter, Elvin Jones, and guest vocalist Tony Bennett." When did THAT one ever come out?

Interviews with Gato Barbieri (who had just signed to but not yet recorded anything for Impulse!) and a roundtable discussion with Jimmy smith, Terry Gibbs, Ahmad Jamal, Hampton Hawes, and John Klemmer; "The Function Of An Artist, PArt 2", an articvle written by Chick Corea, a long article by Giddins about a Mingus Philharmonic Hall concert (he mentions being surprised to see Don Pullen who he "hadn't heard since the record with Milford Graves. He tells me he's been musical director for Nina Simone for a year, picked up a variety of gigs, worked with Mingus for about a week and can't seem to get recorded." Giddins also raves about the performance of trumpeter Joe Gardner, and a new Mingus piece, "Portrait Of Dizzy", performed by Gillespie his ownself. (WAS THIS CONCERT RECORDED???).

Record reviews of Von Freeman's DOIN IT RIGHT NOW. a NEW album by The New McKinney Cotton Pickers, Lucky Thompson's I OFFER YOU, Horace Silver's IN PURSUIT OF THE 27th Man, and the first two waves of Roullette 2-fer reissues.

Blindfold Test with Stan Getz, Caught In The Act (performancereviews) of the Herbie Hancock MWANDISHI-era band, the Chuck Mangione Quartet, & Don Cherry with the Jazz Composers Orchestra performing RELATIVITY SUITE, and a transcription of Freddie Hubbard's "Killer Joe" solo from WALKING IN SPACE.

The various city notes include mention of Gene Roland sitting in on tenor with Roy Eldridge; a group lead by drummer Al Drears that included Howard McGhee, Dave Hubbard (Shrugs!), Richard Wyands, Richard Davis, and vocalist Stella Williams; news of Candy Finch taking over Larry Gales' after-hours club in L.A.; a report from San Francisco of Roland Hanna replacing "an ailing Thelonious Monk" for a Giants Of Jazz concert that also saw Max Roach on drums; and finally a report (more of a note, really - fine print at the bottom of page 43 - from Denmark thatt "Jackie McLean recorded his first LP in six years during his stay in Copenhagen last summer. It was done live at cafe Montmarte with pianist Kenny Drew, who also wrote the poetic liner notes, bassist Bo Steif, and drummer Alex Riel."

All this (and more!) for 50 cents. Hell yeah.

That's a hell of a lot better than DB's nowadays. Yowza! :wacko:

Yeah, but if the best has already happened...

I can't afford to go there, I just can't.

I WANT to a lot of times, especially in the dark times, but I can't. I shouldn't. It's wrong. I'm only 47.

Oh shit - that means my life is probably moe than half over, doesn't it?

DEFINITELY can't afford to go there... :D

Anywayz..

Boy that Stitt sure could play, couldn't he! ;)

Also in the same issue:

News about a few other things, including a "Stan Getz LP made up of both previously released and unreleased stuff from a Bob Brookmeyer date that also included Herbie Hancock, Gary Burton, Ron Carter, Elvin Jones, and guest vocalist Tony Bennett." When did THAT one ever come out?

Three tracks, "Just Friends", "Have You Met Miss Jones", and "Clear Out of this World", with Bennett accompanied by Getz, Hancock, Carter, and Jones, were released on a Columbia 1983 vocalist compilation called Singin' 'Till the Girls Come Home - Columbia FC 38508. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I remember enjoying the Bennett cuts much more than I had expected.

I only have an LP of Tune Up, so my comments apply only to that half of the Album of the Week. Actually, just two short comments:

Sonny sounds as if he was in incredibly good spirits.

The date is a pure bebop date - at least Sonny and Barry Harris - the rhythm section sounds a little more modern. Except for the drums and bass, this could have been recorded in 1952! - not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Great record! Great choice!

Edited by paul secor

An exaggeration, perhaps, but so many ideas, so beautifully executed. One of those albums that is so satisfying that I've not felt the need to hear anything else by the artist - anyone suggest another Stitt album that would demonstrate the folly of that atitude?

Edited by David Williams

• 5 months later...