Ruby Braff

moonax

Many moons ago I heard a Ruby Braff recording with an " unHammond" like accompaniment. The thing keeps coming back to me in my dreams. Such a wonderful sound. Not a great Ruby fan, but that is my misfortune, no doubt, but wanna find this recording before I go mad. Any of you guys know what this is.

Peace and Happiness

Moonax

Many moons ago I heard a Ruby Braff recording with an " unHammond" like accompaniment. The thing keeps coming back to me in my dreams. Such a wonderful sound. Not a great Ruby fan, but that is my misfortune, no doubt, but wanna find this recording before I go mad. Any of you guys know what this is.

Peace and Happiness

Moonax

Ruby recorded two LP's with Dick Hyman playing the pipe organ:

"Fats Waller's Heavenly Jive" (Chiaroscuro)

"America the Beautiful" (Concord)

It must have been one of the Hyman collaborations. I have America the Beautiful on Concord LP. I pull it out every year around the 4th of July. It really is a beautiful record. Hyman can make that massive pipe organ swing like nobody since Fats Waller, not to mention his inventive "orchestrations." And then there's Braff with his unique, lyrical take on Armstrong. I agree that there is something almost dreamily perfect about this stuff. High-level Americana. (As a silent movie fan, I am interested in the old theater organs, usually Wurlitzers, that were commonly used to accompany films back then. Occasionally I fantasize about what it must have been like to hear Fats Waller accompany films, as he apparently did, with a young Bill Basie spelling him during breaks!)

I'll have to get that Chiaroscuro disc. And maybe check out the Arbors reissue of the Concord, too.

Edited by Kalo