July '05 Mosaic Running Low & Last Chance

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I am on the fence over a Mosaic set, I always end up going for it because there is always the possibility to sell it on Ebay if I don't like the music. You have got nothing to lose guys. It's worth giving it a go and in the worst case sell it on ebay for more than you have actually spent! You can't really go wrong.

Just got my Ory set today. It is only # 955 0f 5,000. I know they don't always ship by strict numerical sequence, but still this is very low for a soon to be out-of-print set. This set must have been a money loser for Mosaic. I'm really looking forward to hearing it. My guess is that many people are overlooking a very fine set.

Just got my Ory set today. It is only # 955 0f 5,000. I know they don't always ship by strict numerical sequence, but still this is very low for a soon to be out-of-print set. This set must have been a money loser for Mosaic.  I'm really looking forward to hearing it.  My guess is that many people are overlooking a very fine set.

Mosaic DOES number--and ship--the regular box sets in sequence as they are sold. It is only the Selects that are not sold and shipped in strict sequential order. So your Ory set is the 955th set sold.

Yeah, just wait until you're in the mood for it, and you'll love it.  This was my first Mosaic, and is still the one that I return to the most, but I still avoid it when I'm in one of those "no vocals" periods.  But I've noticed that they hit less frequently now that I have this...

Yes. This will happen to me regarding the O'Day set. It will happen when I least expect it. I will have a treasure trove of new music to explore. It will be a good day.

I purchased the Anita O'Day box so I'd have a copy before the set went OOP. I wasn't in the mood for the set when I received it. However, tonight it happened. I'm listening to the O'Day Mosaic box and enjoying the hell out of it. :tup

The more I listen to Anita the more I think of Robert Plant. I figure that Anita O'Day and Robert Plant are both blues singers. They share some common ground somewhere.

I wasn't going there..... :unsure:

Yeah, just wait until you're in the mood for it, and you'll love it.  This was my first Mosaic, and is still the one that I return to the most, but I still avoid it when I'm in one of those "no vocals" periods.  But I've noticed that they hit less frequently now that I have this...

Yes. This will happen to me regarding the O'Day set. It will happen when I least expect it. I will have a treasure trove of new music to explore. It will be a good day.

I purchased the Anita O'Day box so I'd have a copy before the set went OOP. I wasn't in the mood for the set when I received it. However, tonight it happened. I'm listening to the O'Day Mosaic box and enjoying the hell out of it. :tup

The more I listen to Anita the more I think of Robert Plant. I figure that Anita O'Day and Robert Plant are both blues singers. They share some common ground somewhere.

Grab the JJJ set while you can. It's one of my favorite Mosaics  :tup

I may be in the same box money wise with all you guys.  I may miss out on this one.

That would be a shame, the JJJ set is on of the all-time great Mosaics in my opinion.

I just ordered the J.J. Johnson. I got so scared by Soulstation's Morgan cover above!  :o

Good move :tup

You won't regret it.

Ignore the less than gnomic utterances of the wise man at your peril! Hans is doing a great job of pushing this set. I'll put my 2 cents in and say I agree. This is a musically very strong, very consistent, very satisfying set. I'd say this is the most significant Mosaic (imminent) deletion of the last couple of years. If you collect this style and period of music then the other major Mosaic deletion you'll be faced with in the next year or two is the Mobley. So it's not a long list. I'd say this is as unmissable as Mobley and it deserves a place on anybody's 'Mosaics not to miss' list. If you are wondering whether you want so much trombone, all I can say is the arrangements and solos are characterised by variety and tastefulness, and there is no default to boogaloo and other such devices which sometimes lessen the impact of offerings on - er - some other labels.( ;) ) This is music which grows on you more than most and keeps drawing you back. Downsides? Well the mastering is maybe a little soft grained, but it is fine, gratifying, musical sounding, and involving - which is what you want and what you sometimes don't get in recent remastering. If you are on the fence get out your BN JJ Vol I and remind yourself what is great about JJ. Nothing on the Mosaic box is quite that full on, but the virtues of taste, variety and intelligence are there in abundance.

Like I say - just my $0.02.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to the Anita O'Day Mosaic often during the last couple of weeks. I copied the songs to my hard drive. I place the songs in folders to represent the original O'Day albums.

As I expected would happen, I'm very glad I purchased the Anita set while I wasn't in the mood for it but before it went OOP.